• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Military Gamers

Kalle Palander

First Post
While not in yet, I leave May 4th for boot camp for the coast guard reserves. Gonna be a boatswain's mate. I'm counting the days =D

I wouldn't get too much excited, it's not that fun. :D

No, seriously, boot camp rocks. Running around all day, not thinking and doing man stuff while a guy screams orders. Ahhh... the joy of not having an independent thought....
:p

Ampolitor

Explorer
US Marines

Well served 2 years as a US Marine Security Forces aboard the USS Canopus AS-34, then 2 years as a scout in 3rd LARbn in 29 palms Cali, got out in 95. I got bored last year and received a phone call from the Marines, so I volunteered up, joined Golf Company out of Dover NJ and went to Kosovo in the Infantry as a assaultman.
Now Im a police Lt, gaming whenever I can. and yes I saw a D&D PHB in the PX in Kosovo!

GMVictory

Explorer
US Army

31K (Combat Radio/Wireman) formerly of the 89tm MP Bde, HQ Unit. While in Gulf War I, I ran a Basic D&D campaign and a street level Champions game.

I was even able to run/participate in a Car Wars circuit. (I was the Southeast Asia Autodueling Champion of 1991. My buddies in my unit, once we got back to the world, bought a 57 Chevy and attack helicopter models. They installed the weapons in the Chevy, mounted it, and gave it to me as a trophy. One of the coolest things I own.)

It got around to other units that I had a D&D game running that any gamer who came to MP HQ and had to spend the night would track me down to play. I must have over 50+ character sheets from soldiers from all over the US.

Last edited:

Kalle Palander said:

I wouldn't get too much excited, it's not that fun. :D

No, seriously, boot camp rocks. Running around all day, not thinking and doing man stuff while a guy screams orders. Ahhh... the joy of not having an independent thought....
:p
I think you're confusing Cape May with Parris Island ;)

Anyway. . .

Former U.S.M.C. Grunt here.

Some of my best games were while on deployment. I generally used the Rules Cyclopedia--as it was easier to throw in a c-bag and haul around.

Semper Fi!

Kerrick

First Post
US Army

31K (Combat Radio/Wireman) formerly of the 89tm MP Bde, HQ Unit.

Hey, a fellow commo-geek. :D 31F (MSE Operator) for four yeras in the US Army, currently serving as a 31C (radio operater) in a National Guard Field Artillery unit. Shoot, move, communicate. :D

I met Ralts in the Army at Ft. Hood, and I've played with a lot of other gamers while I was in. The majority of The Brood is military or ex-military - myself, Ralts, his wife (former combat medic), his brother, and one of our artists (former Ranger).

Taloras

First Post
Over half my gaming group was in the military. One of them is currently stationed at Tinker AFB, OKC, OK. Hes leaving this summer. BV210, how long will you be in the area? If its any amount of time, you might be able to game w/ us here....jereds moving out, we might need another player.

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
USMC 2875 ToW missile system tech out in '86. Had the best DM one could ask for. Shout out to WADE N. Been playing since this and Squad Leader(which is what I thought this thread was about at first)

GMVictory

Explorer
Kerrick said:

Hey, a fellow commo-geek. :D 31F (MSE Operator) for four yeras in the US Army, currently serving as a 31C (radio operater) in a National Guard Field Artillery unit. Shoot, move, communicate. :D

I met Ralts in the Army at Ft. Hood, and I've played with a lot of other gamers while I was in. The majority of The Brood is military or ex-military - myself, Ralts, his wife (former combat medic), his brother, and one of our artists (former Ranger).

I salute a fellow commo-geek! As well as a fellow servicemember who was interred, I mean stationed, at Ft. Hood! :) What unit were you assigned in "the land where the clouds are higher than the sun?"

Deadlar

First Post
EX 74B1P (Computer Geek Paratrooper) Here spent Lots of time in the 525 MI BDE at Bragg, Moved over to 82nd Sig, Then spent my last little bit over In Landstuhl Regional Medical Center Landstuhl Germany. yeah me.. ;)

AAFES is headquartered in Texas, they carry a small variety of game material, at least in the overseas facilities, buts its kind of hit and miss. Here at Spangdahlem there is not so much, though we just got Races of Faerun, down in Ramstein/Vogelweh there is a little more. In some cases material can be special ordered from the exchanges but your looking at a 4 to 6 week wait for it to come in. Mageknight is starting to crop up over here in the exchanges as well, though thats been going on for a while. AAfes over here works through one distributor PMG, and 95% of the books in the exchanges over here come from them. The other 5% comes from varios local national companys and include mostly things like maps, coffee table books and some cook books.

The best way for a publisher to get some attention is probably through the local papers. Here its published every friday and all it takes to get an add in the classifieds is an email usually. Star & Stripes see Europe wide distribution and I think its found in the middle east as well, given enough time I could track that down I have a friend working in an Exchange in Kuwait right now. I am not sure what the rates for their advertising or classified adds.

Thullgrim

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads