• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[military] Low intensity combat with Danger Dice (long)

Aaron2

Explorer
Note: I developed these rules for my WW2 game. I thought other people might be able to use them so I’m posting them. This material is Open Game Content, and is licensed for public use under the terms of the Open Game License v1.0a.

Low Intensity Combat using Danger Dice
The WW2 battlefield is a dangerous place. Snipers, machine guns and shell fragments all compete for the chance to end the career of your hapless PCs. With so many things going on, it quickly becomes impossible for an overworked DM to resolved each attack or artillery round individually. These rules allow the DM to randomly assign damage based on an overall danger level of an area in which the adventure is taking place.

Each threat is assigned a Danger Die, ranging from d20 to d4, based on the amount of danger that area contains. A d4 represents the most dangerous while a d20 represents the least dangerous. The Danger Die can represent a variety of possible threats such snipers, machine-gun harassing fire, minefields and artillery barrages.

Using Danger Dice
In general, one die is rolled whenever the situation calls for it. On a roll of 1, the character is affected by the attack. The attack is resolved just like a normal attack either with an attack roll or by the character making a save.

When to Roll the Danger Die
The current situation will affect when the Danger Die is rolled. For example, if a character moves in the no-mans land between two enemies, there is a chance that someone will take a pot shot at him. In this case roll the Danger Die whenever a character moves in the open. During an artillery barrage, with shells landing all around the character, roll the Danger Die once per round.

Resolving the Attack
When a 1 is rolled on the Danger Die, the target character is affected by the attack; either someone is shooting at him or a bomb has landed nearby. Even though the attack occurs, the character may not actually be hit. For the most part, a Danger Die attack is resolved according to the same rules as a normal attack.

There are two types of attacks: normal and readied. Readied attacks can be unlimited or it can be limited to once per round. A normal attack is resolved once per round in its turn in the initiative cycle. The initiative order for each Danger Die can be rolled for (using a +0 Initiative modifier unless otherwise listed), or it can be resolved at the end of the round. A readied attack occurs during another character’s action, just like normal readied actions. Typically, if a readied attack occurs (i.e. a “1” is rolled on the Danger Die), that attack cannot occur again until the next round. Some attacks, however, can be used an unlimited number of times per round. For these attacks, the Danger Die is rolled any time the conditions call for it.

Types of Danger Dice

Artillery Barrages
Each barrage is also given an intensity die based on the number of tubes firing and the area covered. With the occasional exception of direct fire from light mortars, The Danger Die is rolled every round. Roll once for each character or closely spaced group of character in the beaten zone.

On a 1, roll the Danger Die again and another roll of 1 indicates a direct hit. One a direct hit, a successful save does 1/2 damage while a failed save does double damage. On any other hit, a successful save does no damage while a failed save does regular (x1) damage.

Sample Danger Die

A German preparatory barrage begins before a major attack.
Danger Die: Variable
Condition: At 06:30+1d10 minutes, a German artillery barrage begins. Danger Die is d8 for the first two minutes (20 rounds). Afterwards, the Danger Die drops to d12 for 10 minutes. The barrage then drops to harassing fire (d20) for the next two hours.
Attack: Shell Fragments (2d10 piercing, Reflex Save DC 15)
Special: On a 1, re-roll the Danger Die. If the new roll is also a 1, the attack is a direct hit. A passed save does ½ damage while a failed save does double damage.

A German mortar team is monitoring the American line waiting for any signs of movement.
Danger Die: d10
Condition: If an American soldier ever moves in view of the German line without cover or concealment, the German mortar team will target that area for the next 2d6 rounds. The area affected is 30 ft by 30 ft.
Attack: Shell Fragments (2d8 piercing, Reflex Save DC 12 Negates)
Special: On a 1, re-roll the Danger Die. If the new roll is also a 1, the attack is a direct hit. A passed save does ½ damage while a failed save does double damage.

Sniper or Harassing Fire
Sniper fire can be simulated with Danger Die. You can also use Danger Die to represent random fire by a platoon of infantry or several machine guns. Because the snipers tend to pick their targets carefully, they tend to have large, less effective, dice. Single snipers will be represented with readied attacks while groups of infantry or multiple machine guns will normally have unlimited readied attacks.

Sample Danger Die

German snipers are hiding in an abandoned hospital, covering the main road.
Danger Die: d12
Condition: If an American soldier ever in the open along the main street, the sniper may take a shot.
Attack: Readied attack, Kar98 with scope (+4, 2d10 piercing).

Several German machinegun nests have the hedgerows well covered.
Danger Die: d8
Condition: If an American soldier ever moves in the field between the hedgerows, one of the machine guns will try to take him out.
Attack: Unlimited Readied attack, MG42 on tripod (+6, 2d12 piercing).

Mine fields:
Generally, roll one Danger Die when each space is initially entered. When the danger die is rolled, a result of 4 or less indicates that a mine is present. The moving characters can make a Spot check (DC varies) to see the mine.

Sample Danger Die

The Germans have laid a hasty minefield to slow the American advanced.
Danger Die: d12
Condition: When any space along or within 20 feet of the road is entered, roll the Danger Die. Only roll once for each space. If the result is a 2-4, the moving character can make a Spot check (DC 15) to see the mine.
Attack: Readied attack, mine (2d10 piercing, Reflex Save DC 15).
Special: The moving character triggers the mine. For him, a passed save does ½ damage while a failed save does double damage. For everyone else within the blast radius of the mine (30 ft) a successful save does no damage while a failed save does regular (x1) damage.

Using Danger Dice against NPCs
When NPCs are under an artillery attack or perform actions that might trigger a readied attack, roll the Danger Die as normal. On a roll of 1, the group has taken a hit*. On a 1-5 the group is also suppressed and misses their next action. A suppressed unit also loses any readied actions including any represented by Danger Dice. On a 6 or more the group acts as normal. You might wish to adjust the suppression range based on the experience or training of the target unit.

Conscript 2-8
Green 2-6
Regular 2-5
Veteran 2-4
Elite 2-3
Crack 2

*You can resolve this abstractly. When a unit takes as many hits as it has member, it is routed. If it takes twice as many hits it is destroyed.

ledded

Herder of monkies
VERY cool.

I use a slightly similar system for my own WWII game, particularly in those situations where the PC's are in a large ruined city or a very confusing forested environment, where it can be hard for the GM to keep track of every little possible threat.

Emiricol

Very nifty idea. It's like the environmental hazard that I believe Fantasy Flight Games came up with! The idea of combat being an environment is a great intuitive leap. Thanks!

Aaron2

Explorer
Emiricol said:
Very nifty idea. It's like the environmental hazard that I believe Fantasy Flight Games came up with!

FFG has about two dozen d20 books. Which one are you refering to?

I actually came up with the idea while playing Stargrunt.

Aaron

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Heh. Contemplating a d20 Future military campaign set during the Externals war of the Star*Drive setting. With some changes to make it a little more grim and a little less hokey ... I mean, honestly ... evil birds?

Seeing as I HAVE all of that stuff and a nice timeline for the war, etc etc. Give them each two PCs ... some spacers and some gropos.

--fje

Remove ads