• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Militia Feat for Eldritch Knight?

Hey gurus,

Does the Militia regional feat (3.5 version, from the Player's Guide to Faerun) satisfy the requirement for the Eldritch Knight prestige class that a character must be 'proficient with all martial weapons'?

Thanks!

Bront

The man with the probe
What's the feat say? I'm not familiar with it.

If you are proficient with all martial weapons (IE, can use any of them without the penalty), then you qualify.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Professor Parsnip said:
Does the Militia regional feat (3.5 version, from the Player's Guide to Faerun) satisfy the requirement for the Eldritch Knight prestige class that a character must be 'proficient with all martial weapons'?

Yup.

-Hyp.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
And that's probably a good reason to revise the Eldritch Knight's prerequisites in a campaign where you allow the 3.5 Militia feat..... Toss in light, medium armor, or shield proficiency as a prereq and it would once more be balanced for the characters it was designed for.

Ghoti

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
And that's probably a good reason to revise the Eldritch Knight's prerequisites in a campaign where you allow the 3.5 Militia feat..... Toss in light, medium armor, or shield proficiency as a prereq and it would once more be balanced for the characters it was designed for.

How would this fix anthing? In my view you are just adding another flaw.

As Eldritch Knights are not proficient in any armor use and even when they are they still suffer from spell failure chances when using armor.

Add to that, then all one needs to do is take the feat that grants armor and shield use.

To fix these loopholes I would require at least one level in a martial class. After all the name of the PrC is Eldritch Knight.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
What makes you people think these are "loopholes?" If they'd wanted the prestige class to have a prerequisite "at least one level in a martial class," they'd have made that the prerequisite.

There's nothing unbalanced about a Wiz5 with the Militia feat qualifying for Eldritch Knight, IMO.

Drowbane

First Post
Peter Gibbons said:
What makes you people think these are "loopholes?" If they'd wanted the prestige class to have a prerequisite "at least one level in a martial class," they'd have made that the prerequisite.

There's nothing unbalanced about a Wiz5 with the Militia feat qualifying for Eldritch Knight, IMO.

[sarcasm] I dunno mate, getting into the PrC without wasting at least 1 lvl.... sounds risky [/sarcasm]

Hmm, War Mage (or Battle Sorc?) + 3.5 Militia = Eldritch Knight. sweeeet

UltimaGabe

First Post
Personally, in my experience (having had two characters go the EK route, though both of them dipped into a level of Spellsword to get SOME amount of armored casting), losing two spell levels just to get extra BAB isn't worth it. The only times I've used this combo (and I only know one other person who did) it was only for flavor, and it took quite a bit of convincing to get me to do so. You get the same crappy HP, same crappy skill points (or worse if you were a Wizard), and no real advantage other than a little more accuracy with your rays (which aren't even gonna be an issue half the time anyway). If someone found a way to get into the class and only lose ONE spellcasting level, all the power to them. The class could use a boost.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I'm not sure where Ultimagabe's experience comes from, but it's the exact opposite of my experience. I've been playing a 3.5 Eldritch knight since 3.5 came out and one thing's for sure: my character has never been called weak. Losing two caster levels is a significant sacrifice, that's for sure, but if you actually use those weapon proficiencies and the synergies that wizard has to offer for melee combat, you can make those two levels pay for themselves pretty definitively. If you decide to shift the balance of the class by allowing it at the loss of only a single caster level, it may well stay balanced for people who want to play their eldritch knight like he was a straight-levelled caster, but it will be a pretty significant increase in power for people who play the class as a heavily magical fighter.

My experience--as well as the fact that the PGtF militia feat came out well after 3.5 and thus was not anticipated in the design of the Eldritch Knight (just like the ur-priest, etc exploits were not anticipated in the design of the Mystic Theurge)--leads me to believe that allowing the militia feat alone to qualify a wizard or sorcerer for Eldritch Knight would be a mistake--not as big a mistake as letting wraithstrike into your game, but a mistake, none-the-less.

Thanee

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
My experience--as well as the fact that the PGtF militia feat came out well after 3.5 and thus was not anticipated in the design of the Eldritch Knight--leads me to believe that allowing the militia feat alone to qualify a wizard or sorcerer for Eldritch Knight would be a mistake--not as big a mistake as letting wraithstrike into your game, but a mistake, none-the-less.

Yep, Wraithstrike can be rather devastating. I actually deliberately left that one out. :)

But what makes you think that Militia was not designed with the Eldritch Knight in mind (naturally, the other way around cannot work, but how about this)? The designers surely knew about that class.

And there is a pretty big loss you suffer, when you go that route, more than one, actually.

You lose *two* feats (feats are important for warrior-characters) and the chance to become a Spellsword and wear armor, if you compare with one level of fighter. In exchange you gain one spellcaster level. The spellcaster level is strong, but so are the feats and the ability to wear decent armor without spell failure.

I really don't think 'loophole' is the right term, it's just a different route, and I also don't think a Militia-Eldritch Knight is any stronger than a Fighter-Eldritch Knight, just different. But I'm a little biased, admittedly. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads