Milo Windby's Collected Story Hour

Nail

First Post
frog said:
Same thread to maintain continuity. Mazi hasn't written anything in a long while so this is going to be interesting :)

Y'know, the truely crazy thing about writing, is that you get better as you do more of it. I always find it just strange that writing is just like riding a bike; the more you practice, the fewer times you do face-plants.

Unless that joker in the parked car opens up his door right in front of you. Nothing you can do about that, I guess.

Come on, Mazi! Pedal faster! It won't hurt as much......

frog

Explorer
Another Saturday night gaming session has come and gone. Amazingly, we have managed to play 2 weeks straight without having to cancel due to sick kids or other of life's little "pleasures". Mazi will be posting when she gets her account fixed so that it will let her post.

The gang has finally reached a civilized area where they can cash in their loot. They haven't had a chance to buy anything since about level 2 or 3 (they are level 11 now) so they have gone a bit spend crazy. But hey, when you are in the merchant capital of the Known World (Darokin city, pop 54,000) you have to cut loose just a little.

Milo got to see some old "friends" of his in town, the "Rat" seems to be missing an eye since Milo last saw him and the ladies in town welcomed him with open arms (as long as he was willing to pay up front that is).

Milo's debriefing was not nearly so friendly...

Mazi

First Post
The Lost City-Part...uh...next.

Brigit picked up Kella’s lifeless body and moved her to the ledge. “Ach, the stench! Not but moss and slime.”

Milo climbed onto the ledge by the boulder. “See any way out?” Mazi shouted up to him.
“No it’s sealed up tight.”

Milo continued to search around the cavern and then down the tunnel looking for another way out. The tunnel was a dead end. A shield lay and spear lay against the wall. A clothed skeleton was crumpled nearby a bone scroll case in its grasp. Milo cautiously approached the figure, finding it unmoving he cast detect magic. The shield, spear and bone case glimmered as well as the chain shirt, cloak, and boots the skeleton wore. Milo smiled greedily “I hope they’re elvenkind.”

The ground shifted as Milo circled the skeleton relieving him of his possessions. He kicked the debris aside and scooped up a handful for a closer inspection. In his hand were black and green disks, small and flat, a little like.....COINS! Scanning the area he thought, “There are thousands of them, no tens of thousands!” He rose to the surface and climbed on the ledge to inform the others.

Brigit examined a few of the coins, did a little polishing and replied, “Tarnished copper and silver coin.” She slapped Jer on the back, “We have some shoveling to be doin’ big man”

Milo looked to Mazi, “They’ll need the box....super sized...there’s a lot down there.”

Milo and Mazi continued to search for a way out. Then Mazi glanced up, “Is that a hole?”

Milo came and stood beside her, “Looks like a hole to me.” He loaded his crossbow and took aim. The bolt flew into the blackness then the clatter on the rock could be heard and the bolt fell back to the ledge.

Milo looked at Mazi hopefully, “Well we know it goes up.” He pulled a sun rod from his pack. Mazi commanded the rope of climbing but it could find no hold and like the bolt it fell to the ground.

“Mazi can you help me with a fly spell?” Mazi hesitated, “I only have that on a scroll I’m saving to scribe, how about spider climb?”

“No,” Milo answered shaking his head, “I need the freedom of movement fly will give. We don’t know what is up there.” Reluctantly Mazi pulled out the scroll.

Milo grasped the sun rod and practiced a few maneuvers. “Hey flying is great! You should try it some time Mazi.”

Mazi scowled back, but Milo just chuckled as he started up the passage. The light reflected off the mossy rock walls. About 70 feet up niches and cracks scarred the walls and in the ceiling there was a trap door. As Milo moved closer he heard fluttering. He turned quickly to the noise. The shape was familiar but the coloring didn’t seem right.....STIRGES!?!

Mazi

First Post
Well here is my first post. I'm definately feeling out of practice when it comes to writing, but hey now I have plenty of opportunities to practice. I know I need to work a bit on formatting. Had to make this short because Frog and my kids seem to think that they need to eat dinner.

Mazi

Mazi

First Post
The Lost City-Part 14 (Session 36)

About a dozen buzzed through the air. Milo swung at the closest and missed. Pain surged through his body as another plunged its long nose into his back. Concentration broken Milo plummeted toward the water. “GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!”

Mazi took a step back and drew an arrow. “I think they’re undead!” he yelled and then displayed the star of Usamigaras. The stirge on his back burst into a cloud of colored dust and eight more flashes could be seen above. Milo carefully started back up the tunnel and again called upon his God with the holy star in his outstretched hand. He was rewarded with five more flashes above.

“One more time for good luck,” he declared and once more wielded the star, no flashes this time.

“Must have got them all” he shouted down to Mazi. Despite his bold words he approached the trap door cautiously, all was calm. Milo pulled at the trapdoor handle but it wouldn’t budge, he would need help. Below he could hear Brigit and Jeremiah gathering on the ledge with Mazi. It was time to join the others and get ready to go.

“The door feels like it is jammed but I bet with a few good tugs it will open” Milo explained when he reached the ground.

“I can do it” Jeremiah whispered.

“I can give Jer spider climb and my rope of climbing then Brigit and I can climb up when you have the rope secured.” Mazi suggested.

Brigit pulled her rope from her belt, “Here be mine in case ye be needin it too.”

”Who’s going to carry Kella to the surface,” Mazi asked.

Milo pondered for a moment, “We can put her in the box.”

“You want me to haul a dead body in MY box, yuck!” Mazi exclaimed.

“Come on Mazi,” Milo coaxed, “we need Jer and Bridget’s strength to haul us out of here.”

Mazi shuttered, “Can you at least wrap her in something first?”

“How’n bout yer cloak, Miss Priss.” Brigit snickered.

“MY CLOAK! Over my.....um, never mind.” sheepishly she turned to equip Jer with a rope of climbing and spider climb.

Jeremiah slung the rope over his shoulder and started his ascent. Milo floated along side. When they reached the top Milo motioned Jer over to the trap door. After a few heaves the door swung open. They both climbed out, they were standing in the middle of the Parthenon. A shadow wisped past Milo but when he turned nothing was there. “Creepy,” he whispered. Jeremiah moved to the first column and secured the rope.

When the rope appeared Mazi took a step back and motioned to Brigit, “Ladies first.” Brigit flashed a big toothy grin and heaved herself up the rope. When she reached the top Milo hollered down, “Your turn Mazi.”

Mazi grabbed the rope and then thought “Why do this the hard way.” Quickly she tied the rope around her waist and hollered back, “PULL ME UP!”

Jeremiah and Brigit both grabbed the rope and started to pull. An ear shattering screech filled the air. Jer and Brigit dodged as two wraiths rushed towards the group struggling to keep hold of the rope. Milo faced the wraiths and called upon Usamigaras. The screeching came to an agonizing climax and then faded into silence as the forms dissolved. Milo continued to hold out Usamigaras’ star and turned face the forms that drifted through the shadows.

“Is everyone ok?” Mazi asked when she reached the top.

“Wraiths,” Milo said, eyes always watching the shadows.

“We’ll be disposin’ of them sure enough,” started Brigit.

Mazi shook her head, “No, we took care of the monster let the congregation of Usamigaras worry about consecrating the island.”

“They are ill-prepared for the task.” Milo argued.

“Milo you can’t remove every obstacle before them,” Mazi said softly, “you have pointed them down the path now you must let them discover their own strength.”

Jeremiah mumbled an agreement and headed toward the boat. Milo, a bit taken back, pondered this a moment and then reluctantly followed the barbarian.

“Ah still say we could take ‘em” Brigit grumbled as she fell into step behind the others.

As they approached the dock they could see the crowd anxiously gathered on the shore. Aurigas was stand at the front looking uncertain. As Milo climbed from the boat Aurigas asked, “Is it finished?”

“Yes, he is dead.” Milo answered.

Aurigas turned to the crowd and shouted, “Zargon is defeated!”

The crowd sent up a cheer and began the familiar chant, “Milo Windby! Milo Windby!”

The rest of the party joined Milo as he unassumingly waved off the attention from the multitude.

Jeremiah approached Mazi and asked, “Kella?”

Mazi pulled out the box. “We better drain some of the water out before we open it, we don’t want a flood.” She placed the box on the ground and spoke the activation words. The crowd stepped back and water and slime spilled over the edge. Jeremiah carefully laid Kella at Milo’s feet and looked at the cleric hopefully.

“Not to worry my friend I have a scroll saved for something like this.” Soon Kella was gasping for breath.

As Milo restored Kella’s strength, Mazi asked Aurigas about the land above. He explained that he could share no knowledge of the land beyond their underground realm. Everything above was a mystery to his people. Frustrated Mazi stepped back as Milo approached Aurigas.

“Will you stay with us?” Aurigas asked.

“No, we have duties that we must attend to elsewhere.” Milo answered.

“Many of us need your wisdom and guidance in the ways of Usamigaras,” disputed Auriga.

Milo smiled, “The only guidance I receive is from Usamigaras himself, and you can receive that too my friend.”

“Thank you for your faith in our people.” Aurigas nodded and then turned and joined the crowd.

Brigit was with Mazi taking inventory of the treasures they had found. Milo came to stand by them and observe their work. They rinsed the slime from the various items and the box and stored everything safely away. Milo opened the bone scroll case and pulled out the rolled parchment “Now it’s time for the scroll” As he began to read, darkness pressed in on him. The group watched in horror as a shimmering shadow contorted Milo’s features, tentacles and a horn bulged into view. Milo dropped the scroll and the shadow faded, “Bad scroll, BAD SCROLL!”

“BURN IT,” Jeremiah said.

Milo Windby

First Post
Bad scoll

Very bad scroll! Yours truly was on the way to becoming the next Zargonator. Thank goodness for good will saves.

Kudos to you, Mazi! I think this is great. It's giving me a new perspective. I get to read our adventures instead of chronicling them. It's kinda fun. I'm looking forward to more.

Nail

First Post
Good stuff, Mazi! Your description of the undead stirges was especially nice.

More story, less dinner for frog!

(Bangs fork on table)

Of course, I should be a bit careful. I've not updated my own storyhour for the last two gaming sessions. Too busy! And now my players that come to ENWorld have the "search" function. They can find out if I've been lollygagging around here, instead of dutifully writing the story! Aaaack!

frog

Explorer
Milo Windby's Collected Story Hour (Updated 5/26/04)

Many moons have passed since we last heard from our intrepid adventurers. From the Lost City they traveled west through the desert sands. Encountering the shade of a lost Pharaoh, they turned down his plea to free his soul from eternal wandering by plundering his tomb.

Onward they travelled. Taking shelter from a storm in a semi buried city, they found a bottle sealed with forbiddings and enchantments. Opening it they freed an Efreet Pasha that had been trapped for centuries. It fled to the desert wastes and began ravaging the trade caravans of Ylaruam, causing immeasurable suffering.

Westward from the desert into the meadows and forests of the Republic of Darokin their journey took them. Finally reaching the famed trade city capital of that great Republic. Darokin city. If it is for sale, it can be found there.

Milo was called before a council of his superiors in the Darokin Diplomatic Corp...Milo is a spy. Milo had been doing entirely too many "un spy like" things. His handlers wished to know why. He was grilled by agents from various Merchant families. Why did he let loose the Efreet Pasha? Was it part of a plot to undermine the Al Azrad house trading monopoly in Ylaruam? Who was the "Vessel of Thari" and why did she attack the party? Why is Milo travelling with an incognito Princess of Alfheim? Why did Milo tell his companions who he really was and what his real purpose was? What part did Milo and his companions play in the current civil war in Karameikos between the two men claiming to be Stephan Karameikos?

Milo was not treated like a returning hero. In fact, Milo came just short of being censured for his actions. Milo did not really care.

After selling off the loot of months worth of plundering to his fence "the Rat", the group went on a buying spree the likes of which Darokin thrives on. Milo purchased goggles to see in the dark, a cape of arachnidia, and other magical paraphernalia. Brigit underwent an arcane ritual to imbue her axe, "Trollgrater" with her life force, making it even more powerful. She also purchsed a matching Ice Burst axe.

Mazi divested herself of most of her accumulated magical armor and dove head first into the role of party Wizard. Purchasing scrolls and wands, bracers and natural armor amulets, she became a magic wielding archer of renown.

Kella dragged Jeremiah off and outfitted him as befits a Barbarian Chieftan. No more plate mail and shields, Jeremiah is covered in a chain shirt, bearskin cloak of resistance with a bear skull helm attached. The Windsword of Sharda was made more truly his, being endowed with a Keen Blade through blood sacrifice...HIS blood. A Ring of Sustenance to provide for his physical needs.

Kella called forth a new animal companion...a dire bear as befit her tribal status.

The party was set for their next foray into the unknown...

Last edited:

Remove ads