• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mind Blank / Portent

Redshirt

Explorer
Working on my game and a question came up i'd like some input on.

Would the Mind Blank spell negate the Portent ability of a Diviner Wizard? I'm inclined to say no because its not a spell but not sure because of the wording.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

PnPgamer

Explorer
It doesnt. Mind blank specifies spells and effects affecting the mind, while portent is fortune telling, a changing of destiny or timeflow, and thus cannot be affected by a mind blanks protection.

Changing fate is very different from mind manipulation. Even if portent was a spell it shouldnt be affected.

Hope this helps :)

Unwise

Adventurer
For me, nothing that affects magic would affect portent. I would rule that anything that had an effect on memory could wipe out portent. It is not a magical effect, it is simply your memory of the future you saw that is giving you the advantage of the ability.

pemerton

Legend
For me, nothing that affects magic would affect portent. I would rule that anything that had an effect on memory could wipe out portent. It is not a magical effect, it is simply your memory of the future you saw that is giving you the advantage of the ability.
I don't have a view on the proper ruling, but I did want to say - isn't seeing the future itself a magical occurrence - even if the memory of what one saw is itself mundane.

Unwise

Adventurer
Yes, I was unclear, if something could stop them when they did their daily divination thingy, then yeah anti-magic would work. Once that is done though the memory remains regardless. It's like a fireball, it is magical and brief, the burns it leaves behind are mundane and cannot be dispelled by disrupting magic.

I'll have to disagree. I can imagine that some set of circumstances exists where Portent would be required to affect a character's mind or sense a character's thoughts in order to function. Forcing a character to take a die on an unaided Intelligence (Knowledge) check, for example, would probably be blocked.

Mind blank says it, "foils wish spells [...] or effects of similar power used to affect the target's mind[.]"

If the effect is at least partially external, however, then I'd say Portent works just fine. Even a Wis, Int, or Cha save might is possible to affect with Portent, since the ability could manipulate the source of the effect instead of the recipient.

Remove ads