• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mind Flayer/Charm Monster question,

cnath.rm

First Post
The Mind Flayer can cast/use Charm Monster at will, if the target makes their save and is uneffected can the MF try again the next round? (and the next and the next untill the target fails the save) The text says that Retries are not allowed but I think that is dealing with the Charisma check to get them to do anything they would not normally do. Am I reading it wrong? We are running under 3.0 and I don't have the errata handy to check.

I've got a player that's starting to run amuk with it (Savage Species version, lev 9) casting CM (one by one) on the gnolls and hobgoblins in patrols sent out by the main bad guy (Wizardess named Deresh from the Coin series from Kenzer Co.) in the adventure. As the DC for the save is 17 most all of them are failing it, and it lasts for 9 days per the spell.

They have been giving them the justification that Deresh had been replaced with an imposter who was paying them in fake gold, and then the party would exchange the gold the monsters carried for other gold and give them extra as well. So far (as the party is wearing the cloaks and insignia of Deresh) I have
rules that the CM spell and the partys justification of their orders have been enough to fool the enemy. (at least so far)

It's a multi-DM game so I don't have total control over over what the players can bring in, I just have to deal with them and try to not let them run roughshod over what plot I can salvage from the module.

shilsen

Adventurer
cnath.rm said:
The Mind Flayer can cast/use Charm Monster at will, if the target makes their save and is uneffected can the MF try again the next round? (and the next and the next untill the target fails the save) The text says that Retries are not allowed but I think that is dealing with the Charisma check to get them to do anything they would not normally do. Am I reading it wrong? We are running under 3.0 and I don't have the errata handy to check.

Correct. A mindflayer can keep using the ability every round until it succeeds.

Remove ads