• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mind flayer tentacle arrangement?

How are mind-flayer tentacles arranged?

• In a "diamond" pattern (1-2-1) like the MM picture.

Votes: 90 40.5%
  • A "square" (2 rows of 2) surrounding the mouth.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • One row of tentacles over the mouth.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Different mind flayers have different arrangements.

Votes: 86 38.7%

• Poll closed .

lukelightning

First Post
Having solved all other RPG problems, I began to ponder the various ways in which mind flayers/illithids' tentacles are arranged on their faces.

Some artists represent the tentacles in a "diamond" pattern (as in the Monster Manual picture) in which the tentacles, top to bottom, are in a 1-2-1 pattern surrounding the mouth.

Other pictures represent the tentacles in a "square"; 2-2, with two rows of two tenctacles.

More rarely, the tentacles are all in a single row across the face.

The question is: "How do you picture your mind flayers' tentacles?"

What an incredibly odd question. What's next, my thoughts on dragon intestines?
Despite that, I picked the diamond pattern, since squuids and octopi are set up that way.
A straight line would remind me of the doctor from "Futurama."

Chroma

Explorer
Mighty Halfling said:
A straight line would remind me of the doctor from "Futurama."

I think Dr. Zoidberg was inspired by mind flayers... there've been a lot of D&D "inside jokes" on Futurama... beholders, rust monsters, heck, even Gary Gygax himself has appeared!

I still say diamond pattern...

The Shaman

First Post
You need to switch to decaf, my friend, and stop reading the Monster Manual at three in the morning!

;)

What a funny topic.

I would say that different mind flayers have different arrangements - that strikes me as the most "aberrant" of the possibilities.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
The square.

Just makes for more efficient head grabbing.

Otherwise the bottom tentacle has no where to go. (And don't say the spine, spinal fluid doesn't come close to the taste of 100% Grade A brain matter).

Unless they tilt their heads at 45degrees and that just seems like more of a vampire move.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads