• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MindBender PrC (Complete Arcane)

EvilMountainDew

First Post
Has anyone played this PrC?

How did you accomplish it?
What sort of character was it?
Good vs Evil?

I just ran across this again the other day, and I absolutely love the idea behind it.

I'm statting one up this weekend, I'll share mine then.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It really doesn't matter to me if you insist on making your PC suck.

But first, I recommend you take a look at what a plain vanilla Sorcerer / Wizard of the same level could do -- everything that a Mindbender can do, plus everything that a full caster level Sorcerer / Wizard can do. (Seriously, look at the duration on dominate person and dominate monster. You could just re-dominate your target every two weeks.) Also, look at the save DCs. The Sorcerer / Wizard can do everything earlier, more often, and with a higher DC.

Cheers, -- N

Slife

First Post
EvilMountainDew said:
But one level in you get nothing but telepathy.

What's the point in that?

I was thinking more of the route of Permanent Dominate...
The loss in spellcasting makes the prestige class pointless after the first level. Telepathy, however, has a number of uses, and you don't lose anything for taking a single level.

Dominate *is* permanent provided you spend a single spell every couple of weeks. Is a level of casting progression worth a single spell of a level you can already cast over a few weeks? I doubt it.

EvilMountainDew said:
But one level in you get nothing but telepathy.

What's the point in that?

I was thinking more of the route of Permanent Dominate...

From memory, Mindbenders have two good saves, which means +2 on both Fort and Will when you take that first dip level. Add in telepathy and you've got an absolute bargain for the price of one level of familar advancement and a slightly slowed BAB progression.

Meeting the prerequisites can be annoying if you're not already somewhat focused on social skills though.

rgard

Adventurer
humble minion said:
From memory, Mindbenders have two good saves, which means +2 on both Fort and Will when you take that first dip level. Add in telepathy and you've got an absolute bargain for the price of one level of familar advancement and a slightly slowed BAB progression.

Meeting the prerequisites can be annoying if you're not already somewhat focused on social skills though.

The +2 fort save helps with qualifying for other prcs. I think bluff is a class skill too so this isn't a bad 1 level dip on the way to Ur-Priest.

Wycen

Explorer
We had a 3.0 mindbender in our campaign until he died from a red dragon's breath. The telepathy was useful but I don't remember anything mind blowing about the class beyond that.

Remove ads