• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mindflayer unconscience

bfreakb999

First Post
So this just happened.. and were all questioning...."is this fair?" or "correct"

Rogue had Drow poison on weapon.. as well as feats that made the mindflayer have a neg 4 to saving throws. Since the mind flayer is elite, it has a natural +2.

So The mindflayer fails its first saving throw. THEN, a thrall forces it to make another saving throw using a Heal check. The rules for drow poison states that after the second saving throw, the creature falls down unconscious...

So is that really the real ruling? I mean.. to me it cheapens this experience.. at the same time.. this was a this was suppose to be a hard encounter and with one fell swoop (less than 2 rounds) the main boss of the encounter is now out of the game. Is this really fair? as DM's... what would you rule? Would i be cheating out the players?

Should i take the rules at face value? I didnt want to fluff the roll, so i rolled it out for them to see.. and it failed resulting in him falling.

what is the real ruling???????!?!!?

I believe the way you played it is correct RAW, but I personally rule that any bonus saving throws (i.e. any that grant a save other than the standard set of saving throws you are allowed to make at the end of your turn) have no negative effects on a failure.

On Puget Sound

First Post
PHB2, p. 219:
Failed Saving Throw:.....The effect doesn't change if the creature fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.

This means granted saves, which don't happen at the end of the victim's turn, will never make a situation worse. I played with this as a house rule; turns out it is official errata.

bfreakb999

First Post
Re

One Puget Sound...

i so never read or noticed this errata... the mindflayer might fail... but i just thought i should tell you....

i love you. my players dont...

haha.. but i do.

lets hope this will save the encounter....

Nail

First Post
PHB2, p. 219:
Failed Saving Throw:.....The effect doesn't change if the creature fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.

This means granted saves, which don't happen at the end of the victim's turn, will never make a situation worse. I played with this as a house rule; turns out it is official errata.
Excellent. Thanks for the heads-up.

Stalker0

Legend
Bah, you think that's bad, try watching a wizard release visions of avarice with a -6 to saving throws (-10 vs one creature thanks to the orb).

My big guy never moved the entire fight, and 3/4 of the monsters huddle around imaginary treasure while the party went wild!

Remove ads