• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mindsight Blinded?

TheBigVoldic

First Post
Alrightythen, here is the situation.

In the campaign I am playing in, I am a lvl 4 Incubus (using the savage species progression) and a lvl 1 marshal with the motivate charisma aura. This character is hoping to eventually trick/coerce the other players into willingly participating in an Extract Gift spell (Fiendish Codex I, p.93).

Unfourtunatly, a party member will soon be gaining mindsight, which will reveal my outsider nature. Is there any way to block this? Otherwise, this party member will not make any sort of deal (personal bad history with dark cults)

Sekhmet

First Post
Maybe I'm confused about Mindsight, but IIRC, doesn't it just allow you to pinpoint thinking creatures within a radius, much like tremorsense, blindsight, etc...?

Empirate

First Post
First off, let me say that you were really, really asking for trouble with your character concept. Especially if there's another PC in your party who'd take issue with evil outsiders. Maybe next time build a character that fits in a little more naturally?

On to help you in your upcoming situation, taking into account that, yes, you ARE playing an evil outsider, might just make the best of it:

1. You can still expect people not to kill you based just on who you are. As long as your behaviour stays impeccable, you'll have the moral high ground. Just don't go seducing maidens and sucking their lifeforce dry, kay?

2. You can also rely on social skills - which are probably extremely good, right? So either try to reason with him ("Look, I'm not here to cause trouble, so let's be friends again, shall we? No reason to come to blows"), or spin a story ("I was born a fiend, but couldn't bear doing evil any longer. Really, I'm in search of redemption"), or put the fear of Demogorgon in him ("I can do things to you you never even dreamed of in your worst nightmares. Be content I choose not to for the time being and pester me no longer, miserable mortal"). Your social skills might also help out in convincing the rest of the party to let you stay regardless.

3. You might try and be open about your true nature - before he finds out himself. Work at building some honest trust in your party, and repay that trust with trustworthiness. This way, backstabbing them at a later point will be even sweeter! Mwuahahaha! (If that's your thing, that is)

4. Actually go ahead and change your alignment. While that will not get rid of the [Evil] subtype for whatever reason, you can still have any Cleric and Paladin in the land confirm that you're not evil. Chaotic Neutral will do nicely, I think.

5. There's always brute force. Kill the character in his sleep and blame it on somebody else. Get creative.

TheBigVoldic

First Post
First off, let me say that you were really, really asking for trouble with your character concept. Especially if there's another PC in your party who'd take issue with evil outsiders. Maybe next time build a character that fits in a little more naturally?

On to help you in your upcoming situation, taking into account that, yes, you ARE playing an evil outsider, might just make the best of it:

1. You can still expect people not to kill you based just on who you are. As long as your behaviour stays impeccable, you'll have the moral high ground. Just don't go seducing maidens and sucking their lifeforce dry, kay?

2. You can also rely on social skills - which are probably extremely good, right? So either try to reason with him ("Look, I'm not here to cause trouble, so let's be friends again, shall we? No reason to come to blows"), or spin a story ("I was born a fiend, but couldn't bear doing evil any longer. Really, I'm in search of redemption"), or put the fear of Demogorgon in him ("I can do things to you you never even dreamed of in your worst nightmares. Be content I choose not to for the time being and pester me no longer, miserable mortal"). Your social skills might also help out in convincing the rest of the party to let you stay regardless.

3. You might try and be open about your true nature - before he finds out himself. Work at building some honest trust in your party, and repay that trust with trustworthiness. This way, backstabbing them at a later point will be even sweeter! Mwuahahaha! (If that's your thing, that is)

4. Actually go ahead and change your alignment. While that will not get rid of the [Evil] subtype for whatever reason, you can still have any Cleric and Paladin in the land confirm that you're not evil. Chaotic Neutral will do nicely, I think.

5. There's always brute force. Kill the character in his sleep and blame it on somebody else. Get creative.

All very nice ideas. As far as being an evil outsider goes... it actually fits in in this campaign very nicely. We are working for a mercenary company, who just happens to be partly lead by a warlock who puts my evil to shame.

Still, I take it there isn't any mechanical way to block mindsight?

Oh, and when it comes to social skills... my DM had to nerf me becuase I was rolling 50+ at lvl five on certain social skills (Disguise)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads