• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mini n00b needs info please...

Hi all
We (that is our gaming group) have decided to try using minis in our 3E game. We aldo intend to go 4E which looks like minis will be a big game improver, in combat anyway. Up until now we have used grid paper and pencils. Now I don't know the first thing about minis, even how big they are (i.e. medium sized character). But what I really need to know is what sized squares is the standard/assumed size for DnD minis? I'll see if I can get some stuff to use as 'battlemats'. And on theat topic which, in peoples opinions, is the best commercial product of the battle mat type? And where do you get them from? Damnably hard to find in NZ so I suppose I'll be shipping them from US or UK if I want to get commercial ones.
Thanks in advance for any advice
M1.9P

Oryan77

Adventurer
I prefer battlemats & megamats made by Chessex:

http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_Megamats.htm

For D&D 3.5 & 4e, the 1 inch squares are best for D&D minis.

I got mine from ebay & the marketplace here on Enworld.

I sell the painted plastic D&D minis from WotC (link is in my sig) and can help you out with any questions you might have regarding D&D minis. I got hooked on them and they really improved my D&D games :)

thompgc

First Post
For the WotC D&D Minis, the size is 1 inch per 5' of facing
So a med char has fits in a 1 inch square, while a large is 2 inches by 2 inches (actual mini bases tend to be a little smaller). Some minis overflow the base quite a bit.

Most battlemats have 1 inch squares (or hexes)

Chessex makes battlemats.
You can also get 1 inch graph paper easel pads at some office supply stores.

frankthedm

First Post
Enworld's marketplace could work. You want commons and uncommons of DDM.

Got a fabric store near you? Marine vinyl can be used for a home made battlemat. Use children's washable markers on it.

mara

First Post
thompgc said:
For the WotC D&D Minis, the size is 1 inch per 5' of facing
So a med char has fits in a 1 inch square, while a large is 2 inches by 2 inches (actual mini bases tend to be a little smaller). Some minis overflow the base quite a bit.

Most battlemats have 1 inch squares (or hexes)

Chessex makes battlemats.
You can also get 1 inch graph paper easel pads at some office supply stores.

My group uses the 1 inch graph paper from the store. We laminate as large a section as possible, then use that with dry erase markers to sketch maps/terrain. It's easy to replace if it gets stained too badly.

Pierson_Lowgal

First Post
A giant piece of plexiglass (might be fiberglass) sitting on top of a battlemat makes for a great setup. Just add wet-erase markers, glass cleaner and paper towel.

I imagine you could tape sheet of 1-inch graph paper to the underside of the plexiglass if you wanted to skip the battlemat.

For battlemats I recommend Steel Sqwire/Paizo Flip-Mats (I think Steel Sqwire makes them and Paizo distributes them under their GameMastery line). I have 2 of the square/hexes maps. They are cheap (RRP $12 USD), can be folded up to A4 size if you need to transport them and you can use wet erase or dry erase markers. You can buy them from Paizo here but you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere online if you look around a bit.

I have a vinyl battlemat from Crystal Caste but I haven't even used it since I got my 2 Flip-mats. Being able to use dry erase markers makes life a lot easier for me as wet erase markers are hard to find in Australia.

As for minis, I use D&D minis. I started collecting at the end of 2006 and I now have over 1000 of the little pieces of plasticrack. If you are just starting out, have a look at the common minis from the various D&D minis sets. You should be able to buy them for less than $0.50 USD per mini. That's good value for money when you're looking to fill out your collection of orc, skeletons, goblins, kobolds, etc.,

Olaf the Stout

Glyfair

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
For battlemats I recommend Steel Sqwire/Paizo Flip-Mats (I think Steel Sqwire makes them and Paizo distributes them under their GameMastery line). I have 2 of the square/hexes maps. They are cheap (RRP $12 USD), can be folded up to A4 size if you need to transport them and you can use wet erase or dry erase markers. You can buy them from Paizo here but you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere online if you look around a bit.
I agree. In fact, I reviewed one on the site.

BTW, not only can you use wet erase or dry erase markers on them, you can also use permanent markers on them as well. I do avoid doing so, but I tried it out and the marker did come out.

There biggest disadvantage is that they are too small for the larger battlefields. That's what I use my Chessex Megamat for (one of which I've had since the early 80's).

Hey thanks for all the replies, I will see if I can find anything useful around with 1" (or close enough metric;)) squares for a mat.
And I will certainly be looking to build up some common humanoid minis (minions FTW!)

Thanks again
M1.9P

Remove ads