• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniature cases.

shadoe

First Post
With the arrival of the new eddition, I have actually started to collect and paint miniatures, but now I have a problem, how to transport them.

So what are the best things to carry all the miniatures that you use in your games now?

alsih2o

First Post
hard-sided, foam filled pistol case. great for lining them up and keeping them from banging around. also available cheap in certain areas.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Alchemist said:
http://www.saboldesigns.net/

This is the case to end all cases. :)

I will second that. I have an Army Transport for my 40K stuff and it is the best miniatures case I have ever owned.

It is the most versatile: purchase the depth of foam tray you need and pluck out the exact footprint of your miniatures. (Your dragon miniature has a home!)

It is also one of the most reasonably priced for the sheer amount of minis it holds. I can get an entire 2000 point army in there, including two trays of support vehicles and 40-50 miniatures. The whole case is less than 2 feet tall and cost me about $70, IIRC.

Wulf

Ace

Adventurer
alsih2o said:
hard-sided, foam filled pistol case. great for lining them up and keeping them from banging around. also available cheap in certain areas.

Great Idea. I never though about that but a gun case is cheap and durable. All I need to do is pick one that doesn't scream "Firearm" now thats tough :)

bret

First Post
For a single miniture, it is hard to beat the plastic case that 35mm film comes in. A little foam around the sides, works great.

It is cheap, durable, and simple. The biggest problem is it doesn't look very good.

This is only if you are carrying one or at most two humaniod miniatures. Don't try to carry a collection like this.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I'm rather fond of the Games Workshop mini-carrying cases. Three foam trays that hold about 36 (IIRC) standard sized minis each. They're durable, have good latches and real hinges and you can stick your character sheets on top of the final foam layer.

They're pretty pricey but you can get them at a discount from
www.gc-minis.com

Gizzard

First Post
I use a plastic briefcase shaped toolbox that I found at Home Dept. I filled it with foam; it can hold 2 layers of figures or one layer of big stuff like Dreadnaughts (note the big cutout in the lower right). The two figures are GW Chaos Warriors for scale. Hopefully, this picture is worth 1000 words:

Attachments

• toolbox.jpg
    toolbox.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 235

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I don't play wargames, just D&D so the most guys I tend to transport is maybe a dozen. I also can't afford to buy the big or expensive cases.

I bought a school box (the plastic pencil boxes you can find anywhere) and bought a square of chair covering foam from a craft store (about 1" thick).

I cut the foam to fit into the school box and hot-glued it in place on the top and the bottom.

I then used a knife to make 2 lines, not all the way through, in the foam on the bottom piece (to give the base of the mini a place to rest in the foam). 2 lines because the box is big enough to support 2 rows of "normal" size minis.

All told it took me 10 minutes and $3. I have yet to have any damage to any of my minis. (I wholeheartedly agree about the film cans...I used them for years to transport my own figure, but I recently began painting minis so I have some I share with the group on game night).

Just a thought :)
Lady Starhawk

I'll try and put up a pic of it if anyone's interested...but I won't have time until this weekend...if the thread's still alive then :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads