• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniature Painting

Storminator

First Post
[MENTION=6862]Aluvial[/MENTION] - I'm actually very interested in seeing pics and if you wouldn't mind posting the link to the video you watched that would be awesome as well. Thanks!

As an aside, photographing minis is an art in itself. Frequently taking a pic of your minis will show you 2 things - 1) how bad you are at photographing tiny objects, and 2) every frickin flaw in your paint job.

Not that I'm bitter. . .

PS

Ulrick

First Post
Hey all,

How's everybody's miniature painting coming along?

My painting slowed down because I moved halfway across the country. I also had to repair a few of the miniatures that got dinged up and rebased others.

But now I'm getting back into painting. I should have 52 miniatures completed by the end of the year.

Here's a giant rat from Reaper that I finished last week pictured in front of some other projects.

And here's a gallery of all the miniatures I've painted this year.

Tip: If you truly messed up painting a miniature, you can always use Pine Sol to strip the paint off. Let the miniature soak in Pine Sol for a day or so. Then, using warm water and a toothbrush, you can brush the paint off. You might need a toothpick or something to scatch paint out of recessed areas.

I ended up doing that with Reaper's Laurana the Sorceress. I painted her top blue, her belt red, and the rest of her clothing white in various shades. She started looking more like a superhero than a sorceress. So, it was time to start over.

What's everybody else doing?

Storminator

First Post
I don't have any pictures (see above. . . ), but I've painted one of Reaper's ice giantesses (painted as a fire giantess) that has already been killed by my players, and a drow rogue for one of my players' PC. I'm in the midst of painting a hobgoblin warrior. He's getting a fairly standard paint job plus I'm going to try to ice up his Frost Brand sword. He's probably half done. After that is the ogre PC.

If I get those two finished, I think I'll be at about 6 for the year. :D

PS

SeprenMaelstrom

First Post
I haven't been able to do much lately on the front of mini painting... Crafting time is rather scarce these days with work and whatnot. I do have some more of my party's minis done though! Of course when I say mini, they're kind of scaled more like large characters... But they fit the 1" square space, so ehh. I'm good! My players have really liked their minis so far.

I only have 3 fully finished, with 2 of them needing finishing touches and one needing an overhaul - just can't seem to get that one right... [Wanna reiterate that I've built these ones from clay. Super Sculpey 3 is a pretty nifty friend to the meticulous!]

http://imageshack.us/a/img255/8981/firsthalf3.jpg

From left to right are: Morrithar, eladrin avenger; Verren, dragonborn paladin; and Thardanos, tiefling warlock. These were also made in the same order, chronologically.

I have a few other minis made that need painting still... I have also bought a few that just looked cool; Lady Aiyana & master Holt [for Aiyana; damn that's a cool model] from Warmachine, and Alastriel, Elf Sorceress from Dark Heaven Legends.

pogre

Legend
Hey Ulrick,

I checked out the figures in your blog - looking good!

I'm shooting for 100 figures this year. That would be the most in quite a while for me. I have the first 77 pictured in the last few pages of my thread in the media forum - see my sig.

I don't know if I am going to make it, but I do have an incentive to get all of the figures done for my Rise of the Runelords campaign. I'm certainly going to have all of those Paizo/Reaper figures done. Having a game to paint for has helped me output a lot.

I'm banking on getting figures done over Christmas break (I'm a teacher).

Joe's blog was my inspiration to keep track of my miniature output for this year too.

I have some big monster types on my table right now that are going to slow me down. Heck, just putting the things together slowed me down.

I never strip miniatures - too much hassle. I just sell poorly painted minis for cheap and buy the same model again. Some I just keep as reminders of how I used to paint.

Ulrick

First Post
Hey Ulrick,

I checked out the figures in your blog - looking good!

I'm shooting for 100 figures this year. That would be the most in quite a while for me. I have the first 77 pictured in the last few pages of my thread in the media forum - see my sig.

I don't know if I am going to make it, but I do have an incentive to get all of the figures done for my Rise of the Runelords campaign. I'm certainly going to have all of those Paizo/Reaper figures done. Having a game to paint for has helped me output a lot.

I'm banking on getting figures done over Christmas break (I'm a teacher).

Joe's blog was my inspiration to keep track of my miniature output for this year too.

I have some big monster types on my table right now that are going to slow me down. Heck, just putting the things together slowed me down.

I never strip miniatures - too much hassle. I just sell poorly painted minis for cheap and buy the same model again. Some I just keep as reminders of how I used to paint.

Yeah, stripping miniatures is a hassle. Putting them in the Pine Sol and letting them soak is easy. But then scrubbing them off is the hard part. And the room smells like Pine Sol for a day. I admit, I don't know if I try it again.

I hope you meet your goal of 100. I've checked out and bookmarked your thread. Thanks for sharing! :)

Sadly I haven't been doing much of anything lately with the few minis I have. I guess I have either been busy with other stuff around the house or just plain lazy. I have the LTPK's #1 & #2, of which I should really get done along with the Ravenloft plastic minis I have before the bones minis and dwarven adventurers minis arrive in the next few months!

Oryan77

Adventurer
I've been thinking about adding plastic bases to some plastic animal toys I bought to use as miniatures. What kind of glue works best for this?

I have super glue that I bought at Target to fix broken plastic minis. But it never seems to be that super. Is there some special type of glue for this sort of thing?

Remove ads