Miniatures and Your Character

Stormborn

Explorer
You get a character idea in your head. You go out and look for a miniature. How close does that mini need to fit your character idea? Or do you do it the other way around?
Do you pull a Ken (from Dork Tower) and constantly mod your mini toperfectly reflect your character? Or do you just use a bottle cap? Probablly somewhere in between I would imagine, so what it is? And how do you find it?

spectre72

First Post
I pick a general character concept.

Then I find a mini that fits the general concept.

This mini then fleshes out the character for me.

So when creating a character the mini is of importance to me since I want it to reflect what I am playing.

Scott

JoeGKushner

First Post
I just look for a cool miniature that kinda has the same weapon-gear as my character.

Conversions with sharp tools is not something clumsy people do.

Wombat

First Post
Generally, I try to stay away from minis, especially mini-as-characters, but I know people who both design characters off of minis they find and those who desperately search for the ever-elusive "perfect miniature" to fit their specific character.

The closest I've gotten this way has been to paint up minis for players as gifts at the end of a couple of campaigns, minis that look pretty much like the character they played.

kenobi65

First Post
I've done both. With established characters, I try to find a mini that represents them fairly well, though I don't get anal about it being an exact representation. But, I've had at least one character that I created to fit a cool mini I had.

Delemental

First Post
Generally I'll try and find a mini that's grossly similar to the character, and then may do simple conversions (change a sword to an axe, put a bow in an empty hand, etc). I don't even try more ambitious alterations, like adding or removing facial hair or dramatic pose alterations. I generally overlook minor discrepancies (like if my character wears leather armor but the mini has chain) or disguise them with paint.

Seeten

First Post
For one of current characters, I went out and bought a miniature. I had to buy a $18 Warhammer Chaos hero, as he was the only armored guy with an axe I could find to represent my Half-Orc Barbarian.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Delemental said:
Generally I'll try and find a mini that's grossly similar to the character, and then may do simple conversions (change a sword to an axe, put a bow in an empty hand, etc). I don't even try more ambitious alterations, like adding or removing facial hair or dramatic pose alterations. I generally overlook minor discrepancies (like if my character wears leather armor but the mini has chain) or disguise them with paint.

Ditto.

lukelightning

First Post
Since I don't paint minis, I just use whatever D&D Miniatures Game miniature looks most like my character. Since they have yet to make a sneaky dwarf rogue-type, I'm forced to make do with a dumb human rogue mini.

nyrfherdr

First Post
I automatically recognize my status as unusual. You can check out my mini thread if you like. Because Mini's are a major hobby of mine, they influence my gaming.

I often model a character off a mini I know of. This makes things easier.
For short campaigns, I usually find a mini that's pretty close and am happy with.
For long campaigns I will find or craft a mini to match.

Just so you know, I'm more often the DM...
So... I will help my players to find a mini to represent their character. I will alter it to their specifications. I have even taken a couple of 'commissions' to craft their character in miniature.

For awhile I was getting frustrated because one of my groups seemed bent on finding the wierdest combinations of characters and weapons to stress my mini collection and creative talents to their limit.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

Remove ads