• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniatures to use with KotS (SPOILERS)

Tuerny

First Post
In preparation for running the adventure tomorrow I went ahead and put together a list of minis I see as being appropriate for each monster and PC as well as potential alternates. Hopefully someone else finds this useful besides me. :)

Creature Miniature Set Quantity Alternate Set
Kobold Minions Kobold Miner Angelfire 10 or 20 Kobold Warrior Harbinger Note: 20 required only if the PCs are stupid.
Kobold Slinger Kobold Skirmisher Draagoneye 1 Note: No released Kobolds are weilding a sling
Kobold Skirmisher Kobold Soldier Angelfire 3
Kobold Dragonshield Kobold Champion Aberrations 3
Kobold Wyrmpriest Kobold Sorcerer Aberrations 1

Irontooth Snig the Axe Archfiends 1

Guard Drake Felldrake Harbinger 2
4 Human Rabble Cloudreaver Pirate Giants of Legend 4 Human Bandit Harbinger
Gnome Sulk Gnome Trickster Blood Wars 1
Halfling Slinger Halfling Slinger War Drums 1

Rat Swarm Rat Swarm Unhallowed 1 Note: A large mini.

Goblin Sharpshooters Goblin Sneak Harbinger 3 Greypeak Goblin Archer Unhallowed
Goblin Warrior Goblin Skirmisher Dragoneye 2 Goblin Picador Dungeons of Dread
Hobgoblin Torturer Torturer Unhallowed 1
Balgaron the Fat Goblin Underboss War Drums 1 Note: No good minis for Balgaron
Goblin Cutter Goblin Blackblade War Drums 8

Zombie Rotters Zombie Giants of Legend 12 Strahd Zombie Unhallowed
Zombie Strahd Zombie Unhallowed 4 Horde Zombie War Drums

Skeleton Warrior Skeletal Legionnaire War Drums 2
Decrepit Skeletons Skeletal Archer Angelfire 12
Sir Keegan Death Knight Deathknell 1 Death Knight Dungeons of Dread

Giant Rat Dire Rat Giants of Legend 13 Diseased Dire Rat War of the Dragon Queen
Ochre Jelly Ochre Jelly Archfiends 1

Kruthik Hatchlings Kruthik Hatchling Deathknell 9
Kruthik Young Kruthik Hatchling Deathknell 9
Kruthik Adult Greater Basilisk Night Below 1 Note: No good Kruthik Adult minis

Blue Slime Ochre Jelly Archfiends 1 Note: No good Blue Slime Minis

Gravehound Zombie Gravehound Archfiends 2
Ninaran, Elf Archer Elf Stalker Underdark 1 Greycloak Ranger Archfiends

Hobgoblin Soldiers Hobgoblin Impaler Angelfire 4 Note: No hobgoblin minis with flails
Hobgoblin Grunt Hobgoblin Marshal Night Below 5
Deathjump Spider Deathjump Spider Dungeons of Dread 1
Hobgoblin Archer Hobgoblin Archer War Drums 1
Hobgoblin Warcaster Red Hand War Sorcerer War Drums 1
Hobgoblin Warchief Hobgoblin Sergeant Giants of Legend 1 Hobgoblin Talon of Tiamat War of the Dragon Queen

Gelatinous Cube Gelationous Cube Desert of Desolation 1
Corruption Corpses Ravenous Ghoul Desert of Desolation 2 Zombie Giants of Legend

Ghoul Gravetouched Ghoul Unhallowed 1 Ravenous Ghoul Desert of Desolation
Clay Scout Imp Angelfire 1 Quasit Giants of Legend

Vampire Spawn Vampire Spawn Dungeons of Dread 5 Vampire Spawn Deathknell
Orcus Underpriest Cleric of Nerull Deathknell 1 Grim Necromancer Deathknell
Human Berserkers Dragonmark Heir of Deneith Blood War 2 Skullsplitter Aberrations
Dark Creeper Dark Creeper Underdark 1

Kalarel, Scion of Orcus Grim Necromancer Deathknell 1 Cleric of Bane Archfiends

PC Miniature Set Alternate Set
Dwarf Fighter Dwarf Maulfighter Desert of Desolation Dwarf Shieldmaiden Dungeons of Dread
Halfling Rogue Halfling Rogue Desert of Desolation Halfling Tombseeker Night Below
Human Wizard Comyrean War Wizard Unhallowed Wild Mage Night Below
Half-Elf Cleric Human Cleric of Bahamut Desert of Desolation Cleric of Pelor Dungeons of Dread
Dragonborn Paladin Dragonborn Fighter War of the Dragon Queen
Tiefling Warlord Tiefling Blademaster War Drums Tiefling Cleric Desert of Desolation

Last edited:

Vaeron

Explorer
If you look at the counters provided for "Castle of Shadows" by fiery dragon (at fierydragon.com) you will see the maximum number of each individual creature needed for each individual encounter... (ie, if the biggest undead encounter in the game has 13 skeletons, you'll see 13 skeletons in the fierydragon counters). You could even download, print, and use them if you didn't feel it would ruin the miniature experience.

But, if nothing else, they would give you an accurate number of miniatures you would need to run the session.

Tuerny

First Post
Vaeron said:
If you look at the counters provided for "Castle of Shadows" by fiery dragon (at fierydragon.com) you will see the maximum number of each individual creature needed for each individual encounter... (ie, if the biggest undead encounter in the game has 13 skeletons, you'll see 13 skeletons in the fierydragon counters). You could even download, print, and use them if you didn't feel it would ruin the miniature experience.

But, if nothing else, they would give you an accurate number of miniatures you would need to run the session.

I listed the number you would need in this list.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Here are some of my thoughts:

Kobold Slinger: You could probably use Kobold Monks (Blood War) for this. I'm going to be using Kobold Archers (Dungeons of Dread), however.
Kobold Dragonshield: Meepo all the way! It puts fear in the players. ;)
Kobold Wyrmpriest: I don't have any Kobold Sorcerers, so I went with Whitespawn Hordelings (War of the Dragon Queen) (ooh creepy albino kobolds... <_<)

Rat Swarm: This is giving me trouble. The Rat Swarm in KotS is Medium, but the mini is Large. Arg!

Goblin Sharpshooters: Graypeak Goblin Archer (Unhallowed) see Balgaron the Fat
Goblin Warrior: I like Silent Wolf Goblin (Aberrations) or Acheron Goblin (Blood War) better than the Sneak. I think the Sneak looks goofy.
Balgaron the Fat: Goblin Sneak (Harbinger) I want a mini with a crossbow for him, and one that stands out, and I think the Sneak fits well for him. That does mean I have to use the archers for sharpshooters, however.

Skeleton Warrior: Skeleton (Harbinger) definitely!!
Decrepit Skeletons: Skeletal Legionnaire (War Drums) and Skeletal Archers (Angelfire), switched out based on if they are using ranged or melee

Ninaran: I'm going to end up using Elf Warrior (Aberrations)
Decrepit Skeletons: Skeletal Legionnaire (War Drums) and Skeletal Archers (Angelfire), switched out based on if they are using ranged or melee

Clay Scout: Quasit (Giants of Legend)

Orcus Underpriest: Blood of Vol Cultist (Blood War)

Human Berserkers: Doomguard (Blood War) turning into War Apes (War of the Dragon Queen) when bloodied, tentatively. I'm considering it.

I haven't thought about the pre-gens.

Just my 2p:
I am going to use Iron Defenders for the Kruthik teenagers and I dunno about the adult.
For the Guard Drakes I am going to use a small dragon, can't remember the colour, cos I will only have one due to party size:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads