• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minimum caster level to create an item.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
From the SRD:
Boots of Speed

On command, these boots enable the wearer to act as though hasted for up to 10 rounds each day. The duration of the haste need not be consecutive rounds.

Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, haste; Market Price: 8,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

I originally figured that I had to be 10th level to create this lovely bit of footwear. But then I had it pointed out that "Caster Level: 10th" is not in the "Prerequisites" section and thus is not technically a requirement for making the boots. As long as I could cast Haste (or find someone to cast it), I could make the boots.

Well that sounded great to me and off I went to start my carreer as a divine cobbler. Today, however, I stumbled across the following in the SRD:

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the
caster level of the item at any number high enough to cast the
stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other
magic items, the caster level is determined by the item itself.
In this case, the creators caster level must be as high as
the items caster level
(and prerequisites may effectively
put a higher minimum on the creators level)

This seems to refute what Monte, my DM, and everyone else has been saying. What gives? Do I have to be level 10 to make Boots of Speed? If not, what do they mean by the rules quoted above?

Orco42

First Post
There are two answers.

By the books you need to meet that level.

By Monte (who wrote the magic item section) you do not.

Really it is up to your DM.

I agree with Monte.

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
Xahn'Tyr said:
This seems to refute what Monte, my DM, and everyone else has been saying. What gives? Do I have to be level 10 to make Boots of Speed? If not, what do they mean by the rules quoted above?

You are correct; Monte Cook's essay specifically contradicts the DMG (mostly by omission of key parts of DMG p. 178).

By the book, "Caster Level" is indeed a "minimum on the creator's level" (DMG p. 178) for non-potions, wands, and scrolls (even without being a "prerequisite").

According to Monte's essay, it is not.

I strongly recommend sticking to the book rules, in particular because there are currently no explicit rules for modifying the pricing of items with altered Caster Levels (except for potions, scrolls, and wands).

You can read more in-depth about this issue in an article online. The argument about "Caster Level not being a Prerequisite" is dealt with in the first FAQ item, at the bottom of the page. This is here: www.superdan.net/dndfaq2.html

Last edited:

Remove ads