• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minis

Tranzquility

First Post
Well, I am getting out of the navy soon cant wait !!!! I got a verry small deployment to do and I am home free if every thing works out right..... so when I get out and get settled in with my wife I am going to start collecting a good amount of minis for my game. Although this means I am going to have to change groups because I am traveling about 4 states to go back home to finish schooling and so forth so basicly this is my question.....

what all minis and how many of each do you have in your collection ?

and what do you do if you dont have enough like does any one really have 15-20 zombies in there collection ? sorry for any spelling errors and lack of periods and so forth 5:36 just woke up :)

p.s. HAPPY THANKS GIVING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bagpuss

Legend
Since the dawn of D&D Miniatures you'll be surprised at the number of people with 15-20 zombies in their collection.

I've not been a big collecter of D&D Miniatures about 8 boosters a set (at most considerably less of the more recent sets), buying individual commons as well. So I've only got 5 zombies so far, but other people have bought multiple cases of boosters.

Even I have over 380 D&D miniatures. Several armies for W40K, two cases of modern miniatures including SWAT teams, Cops, several different gangs, from Yazuka to Skinheads, and Yardies.

Last edited:

Ibram

First Post
Well I actualy have no idea how many minis I have, but its a large number. I've got a sizable number of Games Workshop minis (not the metal ones but boxes of plastic Zombies and Milita). I've alos got a sizable number of Reaper minis (which are hard to classify because they are usualy unique).

Davelozzi

Explorer
Tranzquility said:
what all minis and how many of each do you have in your collection ?

I'm not sure what you mean by the first part of that questions.

Tranzquility said:
and what do you do if you dont have enough like does any one really have 15-20 zombies in there collection ?

First, it's not that difficult to amass a good number of common creatures like orcs, goblins, and skeletons. Zombies appear to be a little less common, I guess I only have 3 from the D&D mini line. But substituting works good. For example, I have 3 ghouls, a ghast, and a wight, and all can serve as workable zombies. Even grimlocks can work (I've got 5 of those). Between these, a few metal minis I have lying around, some more plastic ones that came with an old Hero Quest boardgame, and having one of my players bring a few of his, I could easily scrounge up 15 or so decent zombies. In most situations, I could also just use a combined force of zombies and skeletons if need be. Finally, I could just not have all the monsters on the scene at the same time and have more zombies crawl their way up through the ground as others died off (using the same mini again).

As to how many minis in my collection, I have 316 D&D minis, and less than a year to acquire them. Basically, I was spending an average of $10 a week on minis, buying a pack a week of Harbringer, Dragoneye, or Achfiends as they were released, and about a pack every two for Giants of Legend. I haven't been buying any in the past couple months 'cause cash is a bit tighter, and don't have any of the Abberations yet, but I'm hoping to score a case for Christmas, which should pretty much put me back on target.

In addition to D&D minis, I probably about 50-60 metal minis that I've painted over the years, and about another 20 or so unpainted. I pretty much stopped buying metal minis for a while when the D&D ones came out, because it was so much easier to grow my collection with prepainted figs (easier in effort, and easier on the wallett). But lately I've been enjoying painting again, so I'm starting to pick up some metals.

The plastics are good for getting your collection well rounded but it's nice to have some metals to fill the holes. For example, in all the packs I bought, I never recieved any mind flayers or vrocks, but have taken care of that with Reaper's Vulture Demon and Bathalain figures*. We also use metal figs for PCs, as my players and I agree that it's worth the painting time to make sure that your PC is a nice mini that fits the image you have of the character.

*Skalathrix Vulture Demon 02532 for the vrocks, and C'Thal T'Chuk 02116 and D'Kulh M'Broon Bathalian 02568 for the mind flayers

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
You don't want to know how many D&D Minis I have. Actually, I don't want to know. Let's say I have about 1,500 of the blasted things.

Of those, I have about 14 Zombies. I have a lot more orcs and goblins. :)

I have also got a few metal miniatures from the days my brother enjoyed painting the things (I never have). Say, 100 or so? Of those, there's about 5 Zombies.

However, Zombies aren't high on my list of priorities. If they were, I'd just head off to Maxminis and start trading for some or I'd buy some online. They're cheap and common.

Now, orcs... I must have about 40 or more orcs in various configurations. :)

Cheers!

coyote6

Adventurer
I don't remember how many zombies I have (well, I know I have two ogre zombies, 'cause I just opened the packs yesterday), but I have quite a few.

When I don't have enough of a particular critter, I supplement them with similar creatures (hobgoblins, goblins -- close enough; ghouls, zombies -- ditto), and with Cardboard Heroes.

I have tons of the D&D Miniatures figures. I also have just about every Chainmail figure (lots unpainted), except for the Half-Dragon sorceror. Then add tons of Ral Partha, Citadel, D&D pewter line, and Grenadier miniatures. I have a lot.

Shadowdancer

First Post
I did not buy any D&D minis when they first came out. But as I am prepping our next module in the Adventure Path Series, I decided to buy individual minis for all of the monsters called for in the adventure. I ended up spending well over $100, because some are rare or uncommon, and therefore a little more expensive, and some of the commons required purchasing multiple figures.

So I now have about 10 zombies and 10 skeletons, but nowhere near the 100 or so of each called for in the module. If the PCs actually fight all of those undead, I plan to recycle each monster killed into reinforcements.

I also have multiple ghasts, ghouls, wights, spectres, flesh golems, and taers, (the latter I am subbing for gorillions).

DaveStebbins

First Post
I am also a fan of the D&D Miniatures. I never got around to painting my old lead minis. Substitution is almost required unless you have a huge collection. First, substitute something close, or even something common like dice or caramels (if you kill it, you get to eat it). Using 2D tokens or counters is a good idea for people on a budget. Fiery Dragon has many Counter Collection sets for sale. Another option is Counter Collection Digital (also by Fiery Dragon), which collects most of the Counter Collection Art on a CD which allows you to copy/paste, resize, and print out counters for your game. That way you can print out just what you need, and as many as you need. I'm very happy with it.

errr....too many figures.

over 1000 metal and painted
about 500 metal and unpainted
about 1200 of the "new" Wotc figures
about 150 misc toys being used as figures
about 500 Games workshop

clearly too many can't wait for Deathknell, Angelfire and Underdark however :D

oh yes- zombies- from Wotc Minis-
harbinger series- 14
troglodytes- 9
giants series- 12
ogres- 3