• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minor Class Tweaks for game conversion

gnfnrf

First Post
I'm in a 3E game with a lot of homebrew material that I am trying to convert to 4E. I think a lot of it can be done with 4E as-is, but there are a few minor tweaks that seem necessary.

On a general note, this is a look-and-feel conversion attempt (remake each element in a way that feels the same) as opposed to a perfect correspondence conversion (if the old character could do it, the new character can, and the inverse).

The problem is, I can't tell how minor the tweaks I want are, of if they'll disrupt game balance pretty seriously.

1: The Warlock. The warlock best matches the Witchdoctor custom class from the 3E game, which was a curse based divine caster, but also the party healer, using a pair of class features (one for combat healing, one for non-combat healing). Since party healing is so different from 3E to 4E, I know that unless I remake the class as a leader, healing won't have the same emphasis, but I wanted to keep the flavor.

So, the question is, what class feature should it "cost" the Warlock to have something equivalent to the Paladin's Lay on Hands ability? I'm currently thinking I should cut the Pact Boon feature, but that may be a little light (I'm OK slightly overbalancing the class, since color is more important than strict mechanical equality in this game).

2: The swordmage. One character in this game is running a duskblade, but wields a very distinctive warhammer as his primary weapon. How much would it overbalance the swordmage to give them martial hammer proficiency (or all martial melee), and let Swordbond and Swordmage Warding function with any melee weapon?

--
gnfnrf

dammitbiscuit

First Post
2: The swordmage. One character in this game is running a duskblade, but wields a very distinctive warhammer as his primary weapon. How much would it overbalance the swordmage to give them martial hammer proficiency (or all martial melee), and let Swordbond and Swordmage Warding function with any melee weapon?

--
gnfnrf
I haven't yet figured out why they did that to swordmages. The only thing I can think of is that, for Epic-level Mastery feats and feats like Heavy Blade Opportunist and Hammer Rhythm/Scimitar dance, it's generally assumed that the Dex or the Con investment could have otherwise been a dump stat. Heavy Blades require dex, thus ensuring that swordmages use a dump stat for the great feat?

Seems silly to me, overall. Just let em use Hammers and Maces instead of Blades. If my original paragraph is at all correct, which I doubt, either way Assault swordmages will still need either con or dex, which could have been dump stats, and Shielding swordmages will require Str or Str/Dex, which could have otherwise been dump stats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads