• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minor Fell Taint/Encounter questions

Keenberg

First Post
This is a minion I just whipped up based on the Fell Taints in the Monster Manual 2 (pg 104-105.) I'm using the original ones in my group's next session, and thought it would be fun to throw in a minion version as well. I added a fun mechanic to them for fun chain-reaction explosions.

View attachment MinorFellTaint.pdf

Here are my questions:

Are these balanced as level 2 minions?

With a group of four, (three 2nd level, one 1st level) would the following encounter be, for the most part, balanced?

8-10 Minor Fell Taints (L2 minions)
2 Fell Taint Thought Eaters (L2 controllers)
1 Fell Taint Warp Wender (L4 controller)

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
Your Minor Fell Taint looks fine.

The questions I find myself asking though are:

- how likely is it that the group will be using psychic attacks against them?

- Even if they do, how likely is it that the Minor Fell Taints will be standing next to each other so that you can chain kill them?

Other than that I don't see a problem.

Encounter wise you are using a budget for a level 4/5 encounter, this shouldn't be too much of a problem for your PCs, but there will be a lot of daze effects floating round that might cause some issues.

On a side note I am not sure why you have a level 1 PC with the Level 2 PCs. 4e is generally designed to have all members of the group at the same level. (but then you probably know that).

Keenberg

First Post
Thanks Mesh Hong!

Your Minor Fell Taint looks fine.

The questions I find myself asking though are:

- how likely is it that the group will be using psychic attacks against them?

Not likely, in retrospect. Perhaps I should change the "squishy" mechanic to something more likely to happen. I can't think of anything viable... Any suggestions? The player entering the game just created a warlock with a bunch of psychic attacks out of sheer coincidence... so it is now pretty likely that the mosters will be getting hit with psychic attacks.

Even if they do, how likely is it that the Minor Fell Taints will be standing next to each other so that you can chain kill them?

More than likely, their tactic is to use "Descend Upon" to get the damage bonus, so they'd be in close proximity to each other.

Other than that I don't see a problem.

Encounter wise you are using a budget for a level 4/5 encounter, this shouldn't be too much of a problem for your PCs, but there will be a lot of daze effects floating round that might cause some issues.

8-10 Minions*31xp/ea=248-310xp
2 Thought Eaters*125xp/ea=250xp
1 Warp Wender*175xp=175xp
Total=548-610xp

So this is right on budget for 4-5 PCs at level 2 (which is what I think you meant) since a level 4/5 encounter would be 700-1000xp. The daze effects I'm not really worried about, I want a status effect in the fight. I'll offer an immediate save when the inflicting attacks hit so things don't get so heavy-handed on the PCs.

On a side note I am not sure why you have a level 1 PC with the Level 2 PCs. 4e is generally designed to have all members of the group at the same level. (but then you probably know that).

We have another player joining us tonight so I am considering starting him at level 1 like the other players did. That is the only reason for level discrepancy, although I'm reconsidering. I'll give him the option of level 1 or level 2 and let him decide. If he takes level one I'll give him a magic item to help compensate.

Update: The player chose to be level 2 so that solves this issue as well... I'd say all ends are tied up, but I'm always open to suggestions!

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
8-10 Minions*31xp/ea=248-310xp
2 Thought Eaters*125xp/ea=250xp
1 Warp Wender*175xp=175xp
Total=548-610xp

So this is right on budget for 4-5 PCs at level 2 (which is what I think you meant) since a level 4/5 encounter would be 700-1000xp. The daze effects I'm not really worried about, I want a status effect in the fight. I'll offer an immediate save when the inflicting attacks hit so things don't get so heavy-handed on the PCs.

Actually the xp total is 673 - 735.

So 735 divided by 4 (PCs) = 184 xp which is between level 4 (175xp) and level 5 (200xp).

If there are 5 PCs it will be 735 divided by 5 = 147 which is just under level 3 (150xp).

In reality the threat of the encounter is probably slightly lower because of the minion factor, but because this is an encounter of level 5 or lower the minion factor is trivial.

Anyway this is all by the by as it looks like you have all the bases covered and this should be a reasonable encounter.

Uber Dungeon

First Post
I like it. The only worry i'd have is if you have one or two melee characters and they run up into the middle of them, might make for a short battle. though admittedly (is that a word? Xb) It'd be awesome to wipe out a mass of monsters so easily.

With that said, I'd suggest swarming melee players with Minor Fell Taint, as they would be fairly easy to kill, and may help boost party exp.

Keenberg

First Post
Mesh: Whoops. Adding error.... d'oh!

Ghalleon: You're right on the point of throwing these minions at them. I want them to feel awesome for taking down a bunch each round!

I'm thinking of doing this fight in waves. The setup is that the boundaries between planes are currently very thin, as two gods have come to two characters in their dreams. This allows the fell taints to sneak in where the fabric of reality is thinnest. First turn there will be two non-minions and four minions, on the second turn come three more minions, and in the third turn three more minions and a non-minion!

Remove ads