• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minotaur + Executioner's Axe = OMG!

Baumi

Adventurer
The beginning of the MM Racial Traits Section clearly states that these are for NPC's and that these traits are more in line with moster powers than with player character powers.

The last Sentece is also an explicit waring to DM's: "The DM should carefully consider which moster races, if any, to allow as PC in his or her campaign".

I don't think that it is a big problem to let a player have one of these races. But if this leads to an unbalanced player than it is the fault of the GM to houserule it that way and not the fault of WOTC who clearly warns about that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I really don't see the imbalance. Bugbears and minotaurs are heavily focused to STR based characters and offer next to nothing to characters that do something other than but melee attacks. Drow and the small classes are okay for sneaky classes and strikers. But the rest are next to just bad.

Ginnel

Explorer
The beginning of the MM Racial Traits Section clearly states that these are for NPC's and that these traits are more in line with moster powers than with player character powers.

The last Sentece is also an explicit waring to DM's: "The DM should carefully consider which moster races, if any, to allow as PC in his or her campaign".

I don't think that it is a big problem to let a player have one of these races. But if this leads to an unbalanced player than it is the fault of the GM to houserule it that way and not the fault of WOTC who clearly warns about that.
What Baumi writes is all I'm trying to say really.

I'm not saying anyone who plays a monster race is a terrible munchkin who is having badwrongfun so relax and chill.

Wonka

First Post
What Baumi writes is all I'm trying to say really.

I'm not saying anyone who plays a monster race is a terrible munchkin who is having badwrongfun so relax and chill.

I never said that you were arguing that :)

Nothing in that section of the MM says you CANNOT play these races, as they are against the rules. THAT is my point. Nothing more :) No big deal really, i'm just feeling a bit combative today is all!

WalterKovacs

First Post
I really don't see the imbalance. Bugbears and minotaurs are heavily focused to STR based characters and offer next to nothing to characters that do something other than but melee attacks. Drow and the small classes are okay for sneaky classes and strikers. But the rest are next to just bad.

Well, there are a couple monster races that simply have stat combinations unavailable otherwise. The STR/WIS shifter is the only one that allows for a two weapon ranger to start with high wisdom, or a cleric that balances it's attack types, or a strong paladin that wants lots of lay on hands per day. Similarly, Genasi is the only CON/INT combo for Stave Wizards and Shielding Swordmages, not to mention Con-based Warlocks.

That is where the Bugbear shines, in my opinion, as he gives the str/dex combo unavailable anywhere else. Str and Con shows up on a number of Monster races, so that requires secondary effects to "justify" them. Similarly, a number of races duplicate the stat bonuses in the PHB. The drow provides a medium "halfling" with awesome abilities for a rogue, made even more awesome with Adventurer's Vault introducing the doublesword which a halfling can't wield.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well, there are a couple monster races that simply have stat combinations unavailable otherwise. The STR/WIS shifter is the only one that allows for a two weapon ranger to start with high wisdom, or a cleric that balances it's attack types, or a strong paladin that wants lots of lay on hands per day. Similarly, Genasi is the only CON/INT combo for Stave Wizards and Shielding Swordmages, not to mention Con-based Warlocks.

That is where the Bugbear shines, in my opinion, as he gives the str/dex combo unavailable anywhere else. Str and Con shows up on a number of Monster races, so that requires secondary effects to "justify" them. Similarly, a number of races duplicate the stat bonuses in the PHB. The drow provides a medium "halfling" with awesome abilities for a rogue, made even more awesome with Adventurer's Vault introducing the doublesword which a halfling can't wield.

I believe their stat bonuses are the only thing that makes some of those races usable. Most of the MM racial powers stink (racial attack powers are usally bad because they only work with certain character syles) and only a few of the racial features are any good.

Runestar

First Post
I believe their stat bonuses are the only thing that makes some of those races usable. Most of the MM racial powers stink (racial attack powers are usally bad because they only work with certain character syles) and only a few of the racial features are any good.

True. If you want to play a brutal scoundrel rogue with an emphasis on both str and dex, bugbear is really your only alternative.:)

Ardulac

Explorer
Don't forget that there are some races, like dwarves that get to add +2 to the damage of a weapon at the cost of a feat-- This effectively adds 2 to the damage of a weapon,,, at the cost of a superior weapon feat.

How is it that noone has called you on this? The feats you refer to add a +2 feat bonus to damage. That's all, ever, end of story. The increase to large executioner's axes are +2 damage per [W]. So even at first level this is a much more substantial increase and it just gets crazier as time goes on. For the record, this seems to be a problem with using oversized weapons in general. I would rather not see a constant increase to damage included in any race. If they had just made it an ability where one uses normal damage and can boost it once per encounter (probably with different numbers), then it would be much more palatable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads