• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mirror Image and Combat Reflexes

Li Shenron

Legend
I have usually treated Mirror Images as one single creature, with Magic Missile being the one only exception (and in fact the best way to get rid of the images), but perhaps it might be even better not to allow MM as well.

Hypersmurf said:
A figment is not a creature. Magic Missile targets one or more creatures. Therefore as written, Magic Missile is incapable of targeting a MI figment.

I've never thought of this... so is Magic Missile a good way to identify figments (of creatures)? If it's real the MM spell goes off, if it's a figment the Wizard notices he cannot cast MM?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well:

1) not every mage can cast Magic missile.

2) not every mage who can can cast enough of them to hit all of the targets at once-Mirror Image can make up to 8 images.

3) However, if Magic Missile can only hit the real Mage, then Mirror Image is not an effective defense against the spell, no matter what, and I don't think that was the intent.

For the Combat Expertise:

The PC who can't use this feat to attack mirror images then knows that the images in spaces he threatens is an illusion.

That PC and the Missile-casting mage can act as spotters. "Attack the one my missile hits!" or "Ignore the 2 next to me!"

In either case, the caster under Mirror Image would have to move again to confuse onlookers.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Dannyalcatraz said:
That PC and the Missile-casting mage can act as spotters. "Attack the one my missile hits!" or "Ignore the 2 next to me!"

OK, so the MM is cast and then ...

a) Each missile hits a copy of the bad guy, destroying any that are images and damaging the real adept if they hit him. Result: Hurt adept, fewer images

b) Each missile fizzles out if it is sent at an image or hits if its sent at the adept. Result: Hurt adept, same number of images

So which one do you think makes MI less powerful ?

-Tatsu

Snowy

Explorer
I've always ran it as all the images in one 5ft square.

A casting of a multiple effect spell or multiple melee attacks or multiple ranged attacks being able at target as many images as there are attacks.

An attack of oppurtunity being a single attack directed at the creature and images as a whole with a chance it hits the real creature.

I hadn't thought of this as house rules, just assumed it this way after reading the spell, it certainly works easily in play and mirror image still seems to be reasonably effective. I'm interested if I have overly disadvantaged the spell by running it liek this though, I'll run through what I would do in several circumstances to make it clear.

Melee combatant with 3 attacks against a mage with 3 mirror images.
1st attack roll if it hits -> roll a 1 in 4 chance it hits the mage else hits an image and destroys it.
2nd attack roll if it hits -> if hit mage last time 1 in 4 chance if hit image 1 in 3 then as above
3rd attack roll if it hits -> if hit mage both times 1 in 4 if hit mage once 1 in 3 if not hit mage at all 1 in 4 chances

(obviously if you miss the attack roll then you dont hit anything )

ranged combatant as above

spell effect/many shot (anything with multiple effects at the same time)
say 3 damage effects and 3 images gives a 3/4 chance of hitting the mage and the rest hit images.

Back on topic, given that I rule it like this, I think i'd rule that the move/spellcasting occuring at the same time for all images would only provoke one attack of oppurtunity so one chance at hitting. Hmmm badly phrased, I mean that the oppurtunity is so brief that only one of the images+mage is struck.

I'd also say the same for cleave destroying an image doesn't lead to a free attack

rkwoodard

First Post
Either way it can't detect the original

Hi,
Even if MM can only hit the real target, it does nothing to help locate the real target. You can not target a specific image (my wording may be off but I believe that is the gist), so the very next attack will still be random.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with the others that state since it is one moving thing, it would only provoke 1 AOO.

RK

Pinotage

Explorer
rkwoodard said:
Hi,
Even if MM can only hit the real target, it does nothing to help locate the real target. You can not target a specific image (my wording may be off but I believe that is the gist), so the very next attack will still be random.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with the others that state since it is one moving thing, it would only provoke 1 AOO.

RK

First, let me say, "Welcome to the boards!" :)

Second, I agree with this assessment. I'd say the magic missile strikes the target unerringly, but since the figments are all within the same 5 ft square, that doesn't mean the caster knows which one is the real one. All images will behave in the same way, i.e. get hit by the missiles, so I wouldn't allow Magic Missile to foil illusions or figments.

Pinotage

Dracomeander

First Post
SRD said:
Mirror Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal; see text
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

Several illusory duplicates of you pop into being, making it difficult for enemies to know which target to attack. The figments stay near you and disappear when struck.

Mirror image creates 1d4 images plus one image per three caster levels (maximum eight images total). These figments separate from you and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one other figment or you. You can move into and through a mirror image. When you and the mirror image separate, observers can’t use vision or hearing to tell which one is you and which the image. The figments may also move through each other. The figments mimic your actions, pretending to cast spells when you cast a spell, drink potions when you drink a potion, levitate when you levitate, and so on.

Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets. Generally, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. Any successful attack against an image destroys it. An image’s AC is 10 + your size modifier + your Dex modifier. Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball).

While moving, you can merge with and split off from figments so that enemies who have learned which image is real are again confounded.

An attacker must be able to see the images to be fooled. If you are invisible or an attacker shuts his or her eyes, the spell has no effect. (Being unable to see carries the same penalties as being blinded.)

I know this causes havoc in confined spaces, but according to the spell description the images are not all in the same space. They are only required to be within 5' of each other or the caster. A caster who gets 8 images therefore occupies 9 5'-spaces on the battlemat between himself and his images. My ruling would be to make sure there is room for the spell to exist before casting it or suffer the loss of images that would be forced to occupy space that is already occupied.

Also, once someone has figured out which space has the actual mage, all following attacks can be targeted on the mage until the mage is able to move to merge with and separate from his images again.

The spell is still effective. Just not as effective as it was in previoius editions.

Pinotage

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Except, of course, when they aren't.

The argument still holds. :) The magic missile strikes the creature it was targetted at, and all the figments look like they're being struck, hence not revealing which one is the real target.

Pinotage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads