• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mirror Image and Targeting

dutorn

First Post
If I'm looking to target someone with Magic Missle, Telekinesis, or another target/no attack roll spell against someone with Mirror Image do I pick which Image to cast it on? For instance would I be able to throw 5 missles at 5 different images to get rid of them?

Thanee

First Post
Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets.

I think this says it all...

I definitely allow multiple magic missiles to target multiple images, just like any other multiple targets.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Funny, that it doesn't seem to hinder your allies' beneficial spells, though. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dutorn said:
If I'm looking to target someone with Magic Missle, Telekinesis, or another target/no attack roll spell against someone with Mirror Image do I pick which Image to cast it on? For instance would I be able to throw 5 missles at 5 different images to get rid of them?

My answer has relied on the rule that a spell cast on an invalid target has no effect. A figment is not a creature, so a spell that targets one or more creatures cast on a figment has no effect.

Scorching Ray? Aim it at something, roll randomly to determine if it was real or a figment; deal damage if you guessed right, and pop an image if you guess wrong.

Magic Missile? Choose a target, roll randomly to determine if it was real or a figment; deal damage if you guessed right, the spell has no effect if you guessed wrong and targeted something that is not "one or more creatures".

-Hyp.

Thurbane

First Post
Yes, unfortunately Mirror Image, while a great spell that I take for every arcane character I play, is quite problematic with ruling it in regard to certain attacks.

The other issues that come up time and again is Mirror Image vs. Cleave (or Greater Cleave), and also closing your eyes and attacking the target.

greater mirror image

Greater Mirror Image is an immediate action.

What are the ramifications wrt to targetting? Does this mean that if my wizard is targetted with a spell, I can cast GMI and force the spellcaster to roll randomly among the images? If so, that's pretty potent!

Ken

Vahktang

First Post
Thurbane said:
The other issues that come up time and again is Mirror Image vs. Cleave (or Greater Cleave), and also closing your eyes and attacking the target.
Cleave (or Greater Cleave) is easy.
Can you cleave a spell?
If you can, then yes you can cleave an image.
If not (and you shouldn't be able to) then you can't.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
My answer has relied on the rule that a spell cast on an invalid target has no effect. A figment is not a creature, so a spell that targets one or more creatures cast on a figment has no effect.
Then why does the magic missile description say that inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell? The spell never misses, so it can't be that something is blocking the path of the missile...

Otherwise, I agree...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
azhrei_fje said:
Then why does the magic missile description say that inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell?

Emphasis, I assume. I've read enough D&D fiction where people use Magic Missile to cut ropes, shatter potions, etc to imagine the designers might have wanted to highlight that.

Consider Animal Shapes, for example:
Targets: Up to one willing creature per level, all within 30 ft. of each other
You transform up to one willing creature per caster level into an animal of your choice; the spell has no effect on unwilling creatures.

If the text had omitted the line "the spell has no effect on unwilling creatures", would the spell's functioning have changed in any way? Does the inclusion of this line have any wider implications?

-Hyp.

green slime

First Post
It doesn't really matter whichever way you play it. What matters is that for the campaign, the way it is played is consistent.

We've always had magic missile defeat images. Its the one easy way to defeat the mirror image spell. Perhaps a bit too easy. One of our holdovers from earlier editions. But we like it, and as long as everyone at the table knows how it functions in our game, things are fine.

Remove ads