• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miscellaneous Powers - Critique Please

NMcCoy

Explorer
Participating in the Name Game thread puts me into a creative mode, and it seems a waste to just let that creative energy disperse unused. So here you get the runoff from my brain, and I hopefully get some critique in order to improve my power-designing skills.

First up:
Shot in the Dark --- Rogue Attack 3
On a hunch, you take a shot right where you expect your enemy to be, and catch them off-guard.
Encounter Martial, Rattling, Weapon
Standard Action --- Ranged weapon
Target: One creature you can't see
Attack: Dexterity vs. Will. You have combat advantage for this attack.
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light thrown weapon, or a sling.
Hit: 2[W]+Wisdom modifier damage.

amnuxoll

First Post
Getting to attack an invisible opponent seems like it should be a utility power. How about converting this into a minor action utility power that lets you attack an opponent you can't see? If you hit, then on your next attack in that round you can target that opponent with combat advantage and no penalty due to the invisibility. Just a thought.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Yeah, upon further thought constraining an encounter power like this, especially at a low level, is not all that great. I couldn't figure out a good way to make it a utility power, but possibly a feat?
Combat Intuition (Prereq: Trained in Insight) - You gain combat advantage when attacking a hidden creature with a melee or ranged attack.​
Next power!

Devastating Confluence --- [Sorcerer Paragon Path] Attack 11
Using your foes themselves as arcane foci, you gather energy and then unleash it in a powerful burst that sends them flying.
Encounter Arcane, Implement, Lightning, Thunder
Standard Action --- Close Burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6+Charisma modifier lightning damage. If you hit at least three targets, make a secondary attack.
---Secondary Target: Each creature in burst
---Secondary Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude
---Hit: 2d6+Charisma modifier thunder damage, and the target is pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.

Edit: Also...
Grease --- Wizard Attack 1
Come on, admit it. You love this spell.
Daily Arcane, Implement, Conjuration, Zone
Standard Action --- Area Burst 2 within 10
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: You slide the target 3 squares and knock it prone.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of grease-covered difficult terrain that lasts until the end of your next turn. When a creature enters the zone or ends its turn there, repeat the attack against that creature as a free action.
Sustain Minor: The zone persists.

(I want also to remind everyone that forced movement automatically breaks grabs...)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads