D&D 4E Miscibility Table: A 4e Hybrid Handbook(by MwaO)

masteraleph

Explorer
In addition to MwaO's suggestions:

Race- I'd add Dragonborn to the list. You can either add a Sanction to your breath or, if you go Dragonfear, there's a utility and a feat that can both add dazing if you hit.

If you're not MCing Fighter, then Wis 12 doesn't necessarily make sense. Fighter as noted is nice, Sorcerer can potentially be nice. Wizard for a weird Petrify/Brutal Barrage Paragon tier build, but your DM may smack you over the head for it.

In terms of PPs- Champion of Order with a Fighter MC and maces can be ridiculous, but only take it if a) your party apart from you does good damage and b) your DM won't pull their hair out over hit penalties. You take Dizzying Mace (and probably proficiency in Singing Stick), and make sure to get a pair of Bracers of Mental Might. You can use your Battlemind mark on an enemy, hit them with the E11, and they're Dazed/Weakened/Marked/-Con mod to hit/end never. Intellect Snap at 13 lets you apply Dazed/-Con mod to hit at will. But that all does virtually no damage, so make sure your DM is ok with it. That combo works better with hybrid Paladin than Cavalier, because Challenge is nice with Champion of Order.

Blackstone Guardian on a Tiefling who MCs Wizard and takes Wizard's Wrath lets you use the E11 on an enemy, preferably with Ironwrought or Ghost of the Past's double roll, petrifying them, then use Wizard's Wrath and Brutal Barrage Augment 1 to pull off 4 automatic crits. Combine with a high crit weapon and crit boosters for that to kill them in round 1, any time you have an AP. Alternatively, any race can work that, though somewhat less effectively, by MCing Monk and taking Water Splitting Stone- you won't get full damage on the first BB attack, but you can thereafter.

Mithral Arm is actually not a bad choice on a Dragonborn, though slightly inferior to some of these others. The main appeal here is that you can get a level 7 Encounter power of your choice, either Price of Cowardice or keep Valorous Strike. Because you have that, you can now have 3 Battlemind at-wills, which gives you more options and power points. Having a Teleport Speed at 16 is nice too; even though it's very low, anything that lets you move a set number of squares, like Speed of Thought, can let you teleport that distance instead. The crit feature at 11 could also be nice; you're a Dragonborn who is CON primary so you already have a ridiculous number of surges at a ridiculous HP value, and getting to occasionally regain HP is just a little icing on the cake.

Infernal Eye is also inferior but not bad; the AP feature can be nice, especially on a single target Daily or Encounter power. The extra power points are nice; the E11 isn't very good but can be Reserve Maneuvered (unlike with Mithral Arm, which actually grants you the encounter power, Reserve Maneuver does not let you have three Battlemind At Wills). The F16 is nice as well, since your CHA mod at that point should be 6. And it stacks nicely with Invincible Mind (see EDs below) if you want to have ridiculous initiative.

EDs-
As noted otherwise, Topaz Crusader is really, really nice. Do note that it doesn't protect against Stunned, so Superior Will and, if you're a tiefling, Dispater's Iron Discipline are still nice. Master of Moments can be good, but the problem is that you don't have a ton of minor actions you want to use, and Speed of Thought is already putting you in the middle of the action without using a move action, AND there's a Battlemind U16 that gives you a free move as well. Basically, MoM is amazing on a |Warlock, but not as much for a Paladin|Battlemind.

Invincible Mind is not as good, but has a lot of charms; you don't get a stat bonus, but a +2 bonus to weapon attack rolls is 1 better than you'd be getting from Topaz Crusader's stat boost, and a +10 to initiative checks is obviously amazing (combine with Imperious Majesty and other Initiative Boosters to go first, always). The F24 is useful if you end up in a grindy combat; make sure that your non-Lightning Rush power is useful unaugmented.

MwaO

Adventurer
Yes, those are all good things - basically, you're a Battlemind in a sense with a real MBA(Virtuous Strike) and a lot of mass mark options instead of Mind Spike. But that in itself opens up a lot of choices...

MwaO

Adventurer
Small change. Noted that Cavalier's Essentials encounter power is actually phenomenal with Fighter - Daze on a Paladin at-will, such as Virtuous strike, which is an MBA...

The Cavalier is one of the most frustrating classes in 4e, to me. It should be an awesome class that fills a key fantasy gaming niche (the horse / dragon riding knight in shining armor). But in actual play... not so much.

Dazing whenever you want to is pretty nice, though.

MwaO

Adventurer
The Cavalier is one of the most frustrating classes in 4e, to me. It should be an awesome class that fills a key fantasy gaming niche (the horse / dragon riding knight in shining armor). But in actual play... not so much.

Dazing whenever you want to is pretty nice, though.

I think that niche is weird and hard to use in an RPG - either the Mount gives measurable benefits in combat or it doesn't. If it does, then what happens when the Mount isn't actually available for all kinds of obvious reasons - such as having your Mount in a city. If it doesn't, why bother to track it more than whatever else is available.

As a hybrid, though, that's not actually a problem though. And this in particular means you can easily play a Hybrid Cavalier without picking up a power that no actual Cavalier could ever take. Virtuous Strike might require Human to take for a pure Cavalier, but Valiant Strike still works with Power of Skill to be a Paladin MBA...a Fighter|Cavalier who does Come And Get It and has say 4 opponents next to him has a +4 to hit with a power that Dazes when he does Combat Challenge...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I so love Hybrids for the ability to become their own thing... my favorite is a hybrid Invoker/Cleric it feels like neither -- > I call it a Bloodwright

MwaO

Adventurer
I so love Hybrids for the ability to become their own thing... my favorite is a hybrid Invoker/Cleric it feels like neither -- > I call it a Bloodwright

Definitely. How Defender|Defenders operate is often just crazy fun. Such weird interaction with marks...

MwaO

Adventurer
One of the Hybrids that I wished worked a bit better was the Rogue/Warlord...

Hmm? Relatively straightforward with a couple of different options. But I'd do something like this:
Human
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14
H: Melee Training
1: Cunning Stalker
2: Light Blade Expertise

Powers:
A: Direct the Strike, Piercing Strike
E: Vengeance is Mine
D: Press the Advantage
U: Tumble

Should be good to go from there...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The Lazy/Princess build Warlord powers do work for just about anyone and there are some chaisma bennies in Rogues... and I built a couple of halflings doing it that way... but I guess the brutal Rogue leader doesnt come across mayhaps that is actually appropriate

Remove ads