• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miss chances...

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Wondering about multiple miss chances.

For example, a target is displaced and incorporeal - what happens when someone tries to hit them.

If the same target is also mirror imaged what happens if someone strikes at a figment?

Anyone know?

Thanee

First Post
I think most of them stack, if they are different (i.e. not all concealment)... you just roll each.

Bye
Thanee

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Non-similar miss chances (such as displacement and incorporeality) definitely stack. You can either roll them separately, or, to save time, you can combine them into one roll. (E.g., the chance of passing two 50 percent miss chances is only 1-in-4, so you can just roll once at 75 percent. Obviously you have to be fairly adept at multiplication to save time doing this.)

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Thanks very much!

Thought I'd recalled something about taking the best of them. Must have been another one of my brain hiccups. :confused:

Definitely with the miss chances multiplied together. Cutting down dice rolling is good!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Concealment miss chances don't stack. Other miss-chances not of the same type "stack." Keep in mind that the word "stack" is a little misleading.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
There actually aren't very many miss chances in the game.

Mirror Image doesn't provide a miss chance; whether or not the real caster is struck is determined randomly.

Incorporeality doesn't provide a miss chance, but the incorporeal creature has a 50% chance to avoid damage.

Being bull-rushed doesn't provide a miss chance, but there's a 25% chance that an AoO will strike the wrong target.

Being grappled doesn't provide a miss chance, but the target of a ranged attack is determined randomly.

-Hyp.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Thanks Hypersmurf, that answer snuck under my radar and I nearly missed it. :eek:

I hadn't seen the subtle difference between miss chance and the incorporeal 'attack misses'... Makes sense!

Wonder how the incorporeality, 'normal' miss chance and mirror image all interact with one another. A tricky question, I guess.

Inconsequenti-AL said:
Wonder how the incorporeality, 'normal' miss chance and mirror image all interact with one another. A tricky question, I guess.

Like attacking a mirror-imaged ghost in a fog?

First, choose a target.

Then, roll to see whether or not the fog makes you miss.

If you've chosen the correct target, and didn't miss due to the fog, then roll to determine whether or not the ghost ignores the damage you do to it.

If you've chosen an incorrect target (an Image), and the fog doesn't make you miss, then ... Here, I would not allow the images the incorporeal effect of ignoring damage from a corporeal source. Someone else might.

Remove ads