• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Missing Creatures in 3rd Edition

Androrc

First Post
Some creatures from AD&D are missing in 3rd edition or Pathfinder, or at least I haven't been able to find a version of them yet. For instance, I haven't been able to find the giant rat or giant toad anywhere so far.

Herzog

Adventurer
Dire Rat is probably the appropriate replacement for Giant Rat.
or possibly Horrid Rat (one of the Eberron books, IIRC)

not sure whether there is a Dire Toad somewhere.

Thanael

Explorer
World of Sulerin - Creatures - 3.5E & 3E monsters, spells, magic items and D&D resources

The Sulerin Monster index is a useful tool here. (Though not all 3pp or even all 3E sources are included)

Type in Giant Toad and you get:
Toad, Giant
Medium Beast
Source(s): 3E Oriental Adventures, Monstrous Compendium Volume 1, Expert Boxed Set, 1E Monster Manual 1, Rules Cyclopedia, Monstrous Manual, Introduction to AD&D
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Climate/Terrain: Any and Temperate and Warm
Rarity: Common
Challenge Rating: 1
Experience Value: 120

Oversized versions of common toads.

Thanael

Explorer
Listing for Frog:
(name, CR, source)

Frog, Giant Tree 2 Skull and Bones
Frog, Monstrous - Giant 2 Ancient Kingdoms Mesopotamia, Tome of Horrors 1, 1E Monster Manual 1, Tomb of Abysthor, Monstrous Compendium Volume 2, Monstrous Manual
Frog, Monstrous - Giant Dire 4 Ancient Kingdoms Mesopotamia, Tome of Horrors 1, Tomb of Abysthor
Frog, Monstrous - Killer 1 Ancient Kingdoms Mesopotamia, Tome of Horrors 1, 1E Monster Manual 1, Tomb of Abysthor, Monstrous Compendium Volume 2, Monstrous Manual, Dungeon#126
Frog, Monstrous - Abyssal Dire 5 Ancient Kingdoms Mesopotamia, Tome of Horrors 1, Tomb of Abysthor
Frog, Monstrous - Poisonous 1 Ancient Kingdoms Mesopotamia, Tome of Horrors 1, 1E Monster Manual 1, Tomb of Abysthor, Monstrous Compendium Volume 2, Champions of Mystara, Monstrous Manual, Creature Catalogue (AC9)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Some creatures from AD&D are missing in 3rd edition or Pathfinder, or at least I haven't been able to find a version of them yet. For instance, I haven't been able to find the giant rat or giant toad anywhere so far.

3E/3.5E (and I'm assuming Pathfinder) uses progression rules and templates for things like this.

I don't have the 3.5E Monster Manual, so the following page numbers are from the 3E Monster Manual:

Rat (normal animal) - pg. 200-201 (size: tiny)
Toad (normal animal) - pg. 203 (size: diminutive)

Dire Rat - pg. 56-58 (size: small)

Advancement (including Improvement and Size Increases) - pg. 12-14

Or a little easier, from the Hypertext SRD (3.5E): The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org

Rat :: d20srd.org

Toad :: d20srd.org

Dire Rat :: d20srd.org

Improving Monsters :: d20srd.org

Improving Monsters :: d20srd.org

Types & Subtypes :: d20srd.org

With 4 Monster Manuals, plus creatures listed in campaign specific books and scattered throughout other splat books and supplements, I'd bet the majority of AD&D monsters have been covered or at least have rules for statting them yourself. I'd think creatures that aren't represented in 3.x, or have rules for making them, would be extremely rare.

Pathfinder also has what you're looking for (do you have the Bestiary book...?).

From the Pathfinder online SRD (the D20 PFSRD): http://www.d20pfsrd.com/home

Giant Frog - Pathfinder_OGC

Toad, Giant - Pathfinder_OGC

Rat, Common - Pathfinder_OGC

Dire Rat - Pathfinder_OGC

Monster Advancement - Pathfinder_OGC

Bestiary - Pathfinder_OGC

Cheers.

Empirate

First Post
Monster Manual 2 has a Gargantuan Toad (normal toad, subject to an... interesting... template). Dire Toads are found in Fiend Folio, IIRC, and can swallow Gnomes and Halflings whole.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Creature Catalog is a huge collection of older edition creatures converted to 3e/3.5e maintained right here at ENWorld. The "New Monsters" section contains beasties that have never been officially converted, while the "Creature Crypt" contains unofficial conversions for creatures that appear in 3e elsewhere (for example, things that were converted before Monster Manual 2+)

If I understand correctly, the Tome(s) of Horrors was more or less spawned from this project.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Creature Catalog is a huge collection of older edition creatures converted to 3e/3.5e maintained right here at ENWorld. The "New Monsters" section contains beasties that have never been officially converted, while the "Creature Crypt" contains unofficial conversions for creatures that appear in 3e elsewhere (for example, things that were converted before Monster Manual 2+)

If I understand correctly, the Tome(s) of Horrors was more or less spawned from this project.
Can't give you XP for mentioning the CC. But, yes, we're trying to get every single pre-3e creature converted to 3rd ed (and eventually 3.5). And you're right about the ToH being derived from the start of the CC (though they diverged).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads