• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Missing Critical Range

Byronic

First Post
I've noticed something that annoys me. Certain classes, do not have proper access to feats that increase ones critical hit range to something larger then 20.

If a Strength based melee class reaches epic tier they can get a feat that allows them to have a critical hit with a 19-20. Most Arcane classes have a similar feat for their implements.

Shielding Swordmages however rarely have the strength required. Neither do Wisdom Clerics, Charisma Paladins, invokers etc. Does this bother anyone else? Did Divine Power give any solutions for the Divine based classes? Is there any way that a Shielding Swordmage can get critical range of 19-20?

Except Jagged Weapon of course. Any other feats or items?

UltimaGabe

First Post
I've noticed something that annoys me. Certain classes, do not have proper access to feats that increase ones critical hit range to something larger then 20.

If a Strength based melee class reaches epic tier they can get a feat that allows them to have a critical hit with a 19-20. Most Arcane classes have a similar feat for their implements.

Shielding Swordmages however rarely have the strength required. Neither do Wisdom Clerics, Charisma Paladins, invokers etc. Does this bother anyone else? Did Divine Power give any solutions for the Divine based classes? Is there any way that a Shielding Swordmage can get critical range of 19-20?

Except Jagged Weapon of course. Any other feats or items?

Well, critting isn't nearly as big of a deal as it was in previous editions. It's really only worth mentioning on dailies, especially at higher levels.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, critting isn't nearly as big of a deal as it was in previous editions. It's really only worth mentioning on dailies, especially at higher levels.
I beg to differ! It's actually a bigger deal in 4E than it was in 3E. Because of the high number of bonus dice you get on crits with high level magic weapons, it noticably increases your average damage output. It's even better if you can reroll your attacks because of some ability or effect (think: Avenger) or get to make lots of attack rolls.

DracoSuave

First Post
I beg to differ! It's actually a bigger deal in 4E than it was in 3E.

Things critical hits don't do:

Heal your party.
Debuff monsters.
Position characters favorably.
Reduce damage taken.

Things Wisdom-Clerics and/or Shield Swordmages are supposed to be doing:

Heal your party.
Debuff monsters.
Position characters favorably.
Reduce damage taken.

They don't need larger crits to be effective.

Getting a larger crit range isn't -supposed- to be easy, and it's supposed to cost you something. And for these characters, criticals just aren't their thing. It's okay if criticals aren't your thing, it's not supposed to -be- everyone's thing.

But, if either of these are so desperate to get Critical hits in, take Daggermaster or Studant of Caiphon.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Or critical hit it for massive damage.

Stalker0

Legend
I beg to differ! It's actually a bigger deal in 4E than it was in 3E. Because of the high number of bonus dice you get on crits with high level magic weapons, it noticably increases your average damage output. It's even better if you can reroll your attacks because of some ability or effect (think: Avenger) or get to make lots of attack rolls.

I agree with this. At low levels crits didn't seem that big a deal to me. Once I got +2 and especially +3 magic weapons, crits seemed a lot stronger.

Byronic

First Post
They don't need larger crits to be effective.

Getting a larger crit range isn't -supposed- to be easy, and it's supposed to cost you something. And for these characters, criticals just aren't their thing. It's okay if criticals aren't your thing, it's not supposed to -be- everyone's thing.

But, if either of these are so desperate to get Critical hits in, take Daggermaster or Studant of Caiphon.

I'm going to have to disagree with that, getting a larger critical range IS easy for many classes. For most weapon using classes Strength is a primary stat, which means that once you reach level 21 you're probably have more then you need. The other stat is something you probably have or could raise to that number by having it at 13 or something.

Furthermore the PHB 1 did not have any options for spellcasters to have the same. This was corrected in Arcane power, and I believe that it should, sooner or later be corrected so that all classes have the same opportunities. And I don't believe that Bards need a higher critical range much more then a shielding Swordmage, Wisdom based Cleric or a Charisma based Paladin.

The best argument against your argument is the Avenger As a striker, it's supposed to do a lot of damage, however it does not have proper to the feats to critical range. The Avenger has far less reason to have a high strength then most of the weapon based classes, yet all the weapon feats require it. the same case can be made for Archer based Rangers (who were corrected in PHB 2 I believe)

DracoSuave

First Post
I'm going to have to disagree with that, getting a larger critical range IS easy for many classes. For most weapon using classes Strength is a primary stat, which means that once you reach level 21 you're probably have more then you need. The other stat is something you probably have or could raise to that number by having it at 13 or something.

The argument that some characters find it easy to get critical range increases, is not an argument against other characters finding it hard to get critical range increases.

In fact, it's an argument for.

Furthermore the PHB 1 did not have any options for spellcasters to have the same. This was corrected in Arcane power, and I believe that it should, sooner or later be corrected so that all classes have the same opportunities. And I don't believe that Bards need a higher critical range much more then a shielding Swordmage, Wisdom based Cleric or a Charisma based Paladin.

Perhaps, but through the right selection of Paragon Paths or Epic Destinies, even these classes have access to that mojo.

The best argument against your argument is the Avenger As a striker, it's supposed to do a lot of damage, however it does not have proper to the feats to critical range. The Avenger has far less reason to have a high strength then most of the weapon based classes, yet all the weapon feats require it. the same case can be made for Archer based Rangers (who were corrected in PHB 2 I believe)

The Avenger has a critical hit range literally 1/400th less than an Epic Critical Range feat against their Oath target at level 1. And some of them are Dex-based, which gives them easy access to Heavy Weapons if they boost their Strength. Regardless, Avengers who want Critical range so badly can go Ardent Champion. Seriously. Avengers are -hardly- the poster child for bad crit range.

DracoSuave

First Post
Not to mention, weapon based feats at paragon don't add more damage, except perhaps Hammer Rhythm or Scimitar Dance. While these feats are good for some, for a character who is designed to -avoid missing- they don't have that much of an effect.

And Deadly Axe is terribad for two-handed damage meleers, given your two-handed non-reach axes already -have- high-crit. (It's better for polearm builds, which an Avenger's Wisdom has -no- problem getting the pre-reqs for)

Which leaves HBO and Spear Push.

Spear Push. For all the pushing Avengers do to their primary foe. Awesome. Wait. Not awesome.

Heavy Blade Opportunity. Because enemies are inclined to run away from an Dex-Avenger.

The weapon based Paragon feats don't do much for an Avenger -at all-. And the feats in the game that boost damage directly don't have attribute requirements.

So... what is an Avenger losing out on, exactly?

Remove ads