• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mistress of Necromancy, Death, and Undead

Hauathon

First Post
I need help in setting a character that I want to have as much mastery over Necromancy, Death, and the Undead. I was thinking she would be a Dread Necromancer/Cleric (possibly Nerull). I choose Cleric so she could rebuke and command undead. I was think of becoming a True Necromancer as PrC if possible. What do you think of what I said about my classes and PrC? My attributes are Str 14; Dex 15; Con 16; Int 17; Wis 18; Cha 17

I really want to reach 20th level if she is a Dread Necromancer so she can be come a lich. I would like also help what feats I should get on my way to becoming a lich and as a lich. Is a Dry Lich better then a regular lich?

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Quick Google search has dug up This and This.

Disclaimer: I've not yet read either handbook, and I've not yet invested the time to build an effective necromancer, so I cannot comment to the quality of either link.

Dandu

First Post
Dread Necromancer 20 is a simple way of doing it. Cleric based builds (ideally with little to no multiclassing, as it often hurts more than it helps) with the right prestige classes are good as well, but you have to know what you're doing.

I do not condone True Necromancer, personally. I think that for you, a simple straight Dread Necromancer build would be best.

LiL KiNG

First Post
IIRC Dread Necromancers have no 'dead' levels either, meaning you get a new ability or enhancement at every level... which is so very nice.

Dandu

First Post
Sidenote: have you thought about becoming a Necropolitan from Libris Mortis? It's a +0 LA template that you apply to a character which turns him into a type of undead. This can be done at low levels, so you can create a character with 8 in Con who then becomes an undead with a Con score of "-".

Hauathon

First Post
I should not multiclass then?

Which to the following feats should be my two starting feats or should I take two different feats instead? Spell-Focus: Necromancy, GSF: Necromancy; Tomb Tainted Soul, Spell-Focus: Necromancy

I know the DN becomes a lich at 20th level but would I be better of as a Dry Lich instead?

If I went the Necropolitan how should I do it? I do have LM. The reasons I wanted to be the lich was the Paralyzing Touch, the abilities bonuses, and thephylactery. I do like how the Necropolitan and the Lich look like. Could you add undead grafts to an undead?

I would like to have an army of undead since I know this character really really likes undead.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Multiclassing is best done if you are experienced.

Which to the following feats should be my two starting feats or should I take two different feats instead? Spell-Focus: Necromancy, GSF: Necromancy; Tomb Tainted Soul, Spell-Focus: Necromancy
Get Tomb Tainted Soul and whatever else the handbook recommends.

I know the DN becomes a lich at 20th level but would I be better of as a Dry Lich instead?
Unknown; I don't think it matters too much.

If I went the Necropolitan how should I do it? I do have LM.
You should undergo the ritual described in LM.

The reasons I wanted to be the lich was the Paralyzing Touch, the abilities bonuses, and thephylactery.
You could always be a Necropolitan lich.

Could you add undead grafts to an undead?
Probably.

Hauathon

First Post
I am not that experienced with multiclassing but would like to get better at it. I mean how should I do my character's class(s) and PrC if I become a Necropolitan. I would choose the vampire as my second choose but I do not trust i could get out being controlled by my sire.

emoplato

First Post

If I went the Necropolitan how should I do it? I do have LM. The reasons I wanted to be the lich was the Paralyzing Touch, the abilities bonuses, and thephylactery. I do like how the Necropolitan and the Lich look like. Could you add undead grafts to an undead?

I would like to have an army of undead since I know this character really really likes undead.
I wouldn't select a Necropolitan unless you have low hit die as it does take away your con. score. The d12 only is quite random, so if cleric is your choice just stay living. If you want to optimize turn and/or rebuke then do not multiclass as most PrC of clerics..etc do not advance it. If you want undead abilities without actually sacrificing much a Bone Knight(Five Nations) is a prime choice, good HD, continues rebuking, and casting.
As for the Lich vs. Dry Lich, Dry Lich is far better. You get to add your charisma bonus to your HD and fast healing 2. You also get Constitution drain, a disease effect, controlled drought zone, and dessicating touch. The best way to get it is the Walker in the Waste but it does not advance rebuke/turning. It does give desert-themed army options both of which are quite good. If you want this either take a Spirit Shaman, Archivist, or regular arcane caster with Arcane Disciple.

Last edited:

Hauathon

First Post
I am going to take the Walker in the Waste PrC so my character can become a Dry Lich. I have done some looking at info on the Spirit Shaman and one site said that the Spirit shaman is my best choose class wise. Why is that?

Remove ads