• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mistress of Necromancy, Death, and Undead

emoplato

First Post
From what you have said I like the Spirit Shaman. Is this correct info on the Spirit Shaman (http://grpg.wikidot.com/class:spirit-shaman)?

I found info on the Spirit Shaman for NWN and from what i read of it I am not sure it sounds like what I want though. ()? If the following is an ability of the Spirit Warrior then it would be bad fora lich if I want that far. At lvl 19 you gain a contingency effect that activates a Heal if your hit-points or ability score drop to 0. The effect can only be activated once per day. This ability works against instant death spells which inflict damage, such as Weird, Vampiric Feast, etc
The idea is that you only take it to 10 and then you take the Walker in the Waste PrC. As Dandu and I have said you don't get turn/rebuke undead. If you would choose this you would have far better crowd control than the Dread Necromancer but not as many undead. You can get the death domain via Knowledge Devotion and a Contemplative dip if you still wish to use the Spirit Shaman.
Turn/Rebuke Undead is an odd system. You roll a charisma check to determine the amount of HD of undead that flee or come to your service. It only varies from your turning level-4 to +4. Almost all undead have a base turn resistance of 6 so at best you get undead equal to your turning level-2 or worst turning level-10. Really the best way to turn or rebuke is a cleric with the deathbound domain adding half your cleric level and you get a bonus for having some ranks in knowledge(religion). Personally, though unless you are the DM you actually have to encounter undead to use them which means you are at the DM's mercy. If you are the DM than you can justify it by having similar goals to the intelligent undead you are aligned with. As such it is better to build than recruit, generally.

Last edited:

radja

First Post
if you're going the recruiting way, you may want to get the fell drain metamagic feat. You give your opponents negative levels, and they turn into wights you can control (or set free in an unsuspecting village). Now a wight may not seem much, but wights create more wights with their level draining slam. Please note: buying chickens and casting fell drain acid splash on them to create chicken wights may not be appreciated by your DM.

Hauathon

First Post
The idea is that you only take it to 10 and then you take the Walker in the Waste PrC. As Dandu and I have said you don't get turn/rebuke undead. If you would choose this you would have far better crowd control than the Dread Necromancer but not as many undead. You can get the death domain via Knowledge Devotion and a Contemplative dip if you still wish to use the Spirit Shaman.
Turn/Rebuke Undead is an odd system. You roll a charisma check to determine the amount of HD of undead that flee or come to your service. It only varies from your turning level-4 to +4. Almost all undead have a base turn resistance of 6 so at best you get undead equal to your turning level-2 or worst turning level-10. Really the best way to turn or rebuke is a cleric with the deathbound domain adding half your cleric level and you get a bonus for having some ranks in knowledge(religion). Personally, though unless you are the DM you actually have to encounter undead to use them which means you are at the DM's mercy. If you are the DM than you can justify it by having similar goals to the intelligent undead you are aligned with. As such it is better to build than recruit, generally.
I am not a DM.

How would I good crowd control?

Should I take the Undead Leadership feat?

I like what spells the Undeath Domain gives and I like the fact it gives extra turning for free. I know I want to have the Awaken Dead spell. Is Revive Undead good spell to have?

I wish any one could learn how to create Salt Mummies.

I read the fell drain description in LM and it says nothing about give your opponents negative levels, and they turn into wights. The fell drain only gives negative levels

emoplato

First Post
I am not a DM.

How would I good crowd control?

Should I take the Undead Leadership feat?

I like what spells the Undeath Domain gives and I like the fact it gives extra turning for free. I know I want to have the Awaken Dead spell. Is Revive Undead good spell to have?

I wish any one could learn how to create Salt Mummies.

I read the fell drain description in LM and it says nothing about give your opponents negative levels, and they turn into wights. The fell drain only gives negative levels
You know how I mentioned control winds? I want you to look up wind strength levels and see what they do. It can effectively render any creature using common forms of movement immobile and shuts down ranged attacks. The monolith I mentioned has earth glide meaning he can pop up anywhere by traveling in the ground. If he hits something they can be bull-rushed making a grounded creature into a flying creature. Druids in general have many spells that manipulate nature and surroundings into something hazardous(growth, wall of thorns, control weather...etc). Dread Necromancers on the other hand have a small list mostly filled with the necromantic essentials, debuffs, and save or die/screwed's.
Leadership is always a good choice if your DM lets you and you know how to compliment your base one.
Revive Undead is only worth it if you really have invested in a slain undead of your army. I wouldn't suggest having it unless you are dealing with an awakened 20 HD undead. It wouldn't be a spell I would recommend to a spontaneous caster.
The trick Radja mentioned is quite morally evil and cheesy. No, rational DM would let their players do this. The idea is that you would use low level AoE spells to slay commoners from level loss turning them into wights. It is explained under negative levels.

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
I guess the question that needs to be asked is do you just want to be a straight up necromancer or do you want something that can delve into necromancy but also do much more when needed? If it is A, Dread Necromancer 20 is the best option giving you the most HD of zombies control, undead abilities, good skill list, and many spells. Its abilities though are very much linked to the base class making it unfriendly to multi-classing. If it is B, you have many options open. I mentioned one before, Clerics have many buff spells, with a bone knight and DMM(Persist) you are a tank outshining many typical fighters hacking and slashing with your hordes. The base arcane casters can also cover some of what Spirit Shaman can do plus with Energy Substitution and Lord of the Uttercold you can have field blasting and control into healing for your undead.

Last edited:

Hauathon

First Post
I guess the question that needs to be asked is do you just want to be a straight up necromancer or do you want something that can delve into necromancy but also do much more when needed?
I want the character have a lot necromancy but doing more then necromancy would help the character out.

emoplato

First Post
I want the character have a lot necromancy but doing more then necromancy would help the character out.
Well that doesn't really help.
Okay, what do you want to do in battle? Do you want to be mostly in the back or up front?
What does your party consist of at the moment?

Hauathon

First Post
I want him to be a spellcaster which means he will be mostly in the back. The only way I would see him being up front is if he has at least 3 or more cleric levels.

All of the characters are 1st level. One character is barbarian, another character is a rouge, another character is a cleric of Hextor, and the last character is a Warblade.

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
I want him to be a spellcaster which means he will be mostly in the back. The only way I would see him being up front is if he has at least 3 or more cleric levels.

All of the characters are 1st level. One character is barbarian, another character is a rouge, another character is a cleric of Hextor, and the last character is a Warblade.
So you don't have a devoted arcanist? I think then you need to consult being a wizard with arcane disciple. It will give you all the spells you need. It will be level 8 when you get animate undead. Fortunately your desert armies are only capped by resources so you will have a respectable force.

Remove ads