• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Misuse of the save mechanics in the MM to reintroduce save or die effects

Taralan

Explorer
Altough as we all know, most of the save or die effect have been removed, there are a few which survived the purge and made it as monsters abilities. In particular, some form of petrification can be seen in the basilisk, medusa and beholder I believe.

However, in my opinion, these effects habe been poorly implemented, since they misuse the save mechanics. Looking at the medusa for example, we see that once the petrifying gaze attack succeed, the target is slowed (save ends) then if the save miss, the target is immobilized, and then, after yet another failed save, the target is petrified.

Altough I like the progressive mechanic and the less binary nature of the gaze, this is a poor implemantation, as it does not uses the new save properly. the new save is not in any way a form of resistance, but simply another way to establish a powers duration. Indeed, since the save is the same for everyone (a flat 11/20 chance) it should not be used like this.

Firstly, it makes little sense from a simulationist point of view since it means that a fearsome medusa as less than 25 % chance of petrifying even the lowest peasant (unless he stays near her for constant attack). Clearly not the representation of a fearsome mythological monster.

Secondly, it creates problem with powers that affects saves. For example, the Paragon Path feature of the Dreadnought called Unfailing Ressources (in Martial Power) allows the fighter to always suceed on a save in exchange of 10 hit points. Now that is fine if the save mechanics is used (as it should) as a duration mechanics, but in reality, it means that our fighter is for all intent and purpose immune to petrification and other similarly implemanted save or die effects.

Now the solution is however easy I believe and should follow the pattern of the Bodak death touch in the sens that the progressive effect of the power should follow several succefull attacks rather than failed saves. So for the medusa, on a first successful gaze attack you are slowed. If a second one succeed you are immobilized and after the third one you are petrified. Of course these "secondary attacks" could target a different defense (such as fortitude) with a different attack bonus if the designer of the monster so choosed to obtained the desired effect.

This would solve both problems at once since our medusa attacking low level humans would almost always petrify them, while retaining the same aproximate 25% against an equal level PC (if the attacks are at a correct attack bonus). it would also avoid unintended side effects of the powers that modify saves.

The only thing that could be troublesome is whether you should require the first effect to still be in force during the second attack for the effect to be improved or not... if you do, you get back problem #2 but if you dont you will need some form of tracking.

What do you think ? How would you redesign these save or die effects ? I think this is important since I believe these effects really enhance the game and changes the dynamic of always having to gring through the Hit points. With a solid mechanic, these effects could also return as powers for the Wizards and other PC....

underfoot007

First Post
Altough as we all know, most of the save or die effect have been removed, there are a few which survived the purge and made it as monsters abilities. In particular, some form of petrification can be seen in the basilisk, medusa and beholder I believe.

However, in my opinion, these effects habe been poorly implemented, since they misuse the save mechanics. Looking at the medusa for example, we see that once the petrifying gaze attack succeed, the target is slowed (save ends) then if the save miss, the target is immobilized, and then, after yet another failed save, the target is petrified.

Altough I like the progressive mechanic and the less binary nature of the gaze, this is a poor implemantation, as it does not uses the new save properly. the new save is not in any way a form of resistance, but simply another way to establish a powers duration. Indeed, since the save is the same for everyone (a flat 11/20 chance) it should not be used like this.

Firstly, it makes little sense from a simulationist point of view since it means that a fearsome medusa as less than 25 % chance of petrifying even the lowest peasant (unless he stays near her for constant attack). Clearly not the representation of a fearsome mythological monster.

Secondly, it creates problem with powers that affects saves. For example, the Paragon Path feature of the Dreadnought called Unfailing Ressources (in Martial Power) allows the fighter to always suceed on a save in exchange of 10 hit points. Now that is fine if the save mechanics is used (as it should) as a duration mechanics, but in reality, it means that our fighter is for all intent and purpose immune to petrification and other similarly implemanted save or die effects.

Now the solution is however easy I believe and should follow the pattern of the Bodak death touch in the sens that the progressive effect of the power should follow several succefull attacks rather than failed saves. So for the medusa, on a first successful gaze attack you are slowed. If a second one succeed you are immobilized and after the third one you are petrified. Of course these "secondary attacks" could target a different defense (such as fortitude) with a different attack bonus if the designer of the monster so choosed to obtained the desired effect.

This would solve both problems at once since our medusa attacking low level humans would almost always petrify them, while retaining the same aproximate 25% against an equal level PC (if the attacks are at a correct attack bonus). it would also avoid unintended side effects of the powers that modify saves.

The only thing that could be troublesome is whether you should require the first effect to still be in force during the second attack for the effect to be improved or not... if you do, you get back problem #2 but if you dont you will need some form of tracking.

What do you think ? How would you redesign these save or die effects ? I think this is important since I believe these effects really enhance the game and changes the dynamic of always having to gring through the Hit points. With a solid mechanic, these effects could also return as powers for the Wizards and other PC....

Redisigning petrification would be a house rule and would be better asked in such forum. I am unsure why you think this is a problem, Do you think that a monster shuld be able to petrification more than 1 PC in a round? Are you attempting to create monster than can TPK any party at any level?

Krensus

First Post
In addition, powers that grant saves to the affected party members trigger the progressive mechanic as well. If the cleric tries to help an immobilized fighter out, he may end up killing them because he fails a save.

I think they really need to look at other ways to design this mechanic, as it really doesn't make sense for an action that aids a character to push them closer to death's door.

The petrification effect can still be considered as a duration - it takes 3 rounds to get petrified, if you can break off the effect earlier, you won't get petrified.

An alternate approach would be to demand a new attack each round. But this will make such effects far more effective in most cases.

1of3

Explorer
I find the mechanism very elegant, and not every save is the same. There are several powers that grant saving throws with a bonus.

Of course, they might worsen the state, but it's not like your cleric and paladin friends aren't any helpful.

Runestar

First Post
The monsters are balanced against the PCs facing them, rather than intending to be internally consistent with regards to your gaming world. So it is not so much that even the most insignificant of commoners has a 80% chance of surviving, but that they are simply subject to a different set of rules compared to the players.

If the DM wants an entire village to fall prey to a medusa's gaze, he simply handwaves it and announces that it be so, rather than keep rolling tons of saves and cursing as the villages keep making their saves. There should be no rolls involved in this scenario at all. If he wants a survivor to inform the PCs, then he simply resists being petrified. :)

Blizzardb

First Post
In addition, powers that grant saves to the affected party members trigger the progressive mechanic as well. If the cleric tries to help an immobilized fighter out, he may end up killing them because he fails a save.

By the RAW this is so, but I house ruled that any extra saves do not incur negative effects when failed. It just doesn't make sense that you are petrified faster because your cleric friend casted a helpful prayer granting a save.

Otherwise I like the mechanic and don't think that attacks every round are needed. The idea behind saves is that everyone (usually) has a flat chance against an effect and this sound reasonably appropriate for mechanics such as petrification.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Now the solution is however easy I believe and should follow the pattern of the Bodak death touch in the sens that the progressive effect of the power should follow several successful attacks rather than failed saves. So for the medusa, on a first successful gaze attack you are slowed. If a second one succeed you are immobilized and after the third one you are petrified. Of course these "secondary attacks" could target a different defense (such as fortitude) with a different attack bonus if the designer of the monster so choosed to obtained the desired effect.

I agree - I think that would be a more elegant method of handling it (so much so that I'll test it out the next time I have any petrifying or whatever monsters, and see how it works).

It would give a nice opportunity for a medusa to spread the love around by slowing lots of people, or focussing on people one at a time to turn them to stone - although the medusa wouldn't be able to just look at someone and then leave them to turn to stone.

Incidentally, the existing mechanics mean that someone a medusa gazes at has to fail two saves to be petrified. That is .45 * .45 or only a 20% chance!

It would almost be a miracle for anyone to get turned to stone during a fight with a medusa!

Cheers

Runestar

First Post
It would almost be a miracle for anyone to get turned to stone during a fight with a medusa!
Ironic, that a certain monster's most feared/iconic ability also turns out to be the part which you need dread the least, because of the fairly low probability that said event (petrification) will actually occur...:p

Therefore, I conclude that what we need are fights consisting of 5 medusae spamming their gaze ability. Use high rates of occurrence to compensate for low odds...:D

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It is almost as if the aim is to create a sensation of threat ("Oh no, I'm slowed, I might get turned to stone") without much danger of the threat actually appearing and taking a PC out of the game.

A thought occurs to me of another way of handling petrifaction which is already used in some areas (e.g. disintegrate) and which makes it deadly to peasants and a viable threat to higher level PCs.

Petrefaction gaze: if you hit the target it is slowed and takes ongoing 10 petrification damage (save ends). Aftereffect slowed and ongoing 5 petrifaction damage (save ends). If you are bloodied while suffering ongoing petrification damage you become immobilised. If you reach 0 hp you are turned to stone.

(alternative kinder method - if you reach 0hp you are restrained, if you reach -bloodied level you are turned to stone).

In fact I like this idea so much that I'll use this as a house rule the next time an appropriate creature comes up.

What other creatures other than medusa and basilisk use the save/save/'die' mechanism in the MM?

Cheers

Remove ads