• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mithral work

Dargon

First Post
Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than iron but just as hard. When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful material from which to create armor and is occasionally used for other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.

What is the craft DC for a Mithral Scale mail DC14? or DC14 + DC20 (Masterwork)?
and what would the AC penalty be 1(-3Mithral)? or 0 (-3Mithral -1 MW)?
And what would the max speed be in it for a human (speed 30ft)?

frankthedm

First Post
And yes, it will take a LONG time. This is why the longed lived races, dwarves and elves, are the ones who usualy make Mithral and Adamant items.

nittanytbone

First Post
frankthedm said:
And yes, it will take a LONG time. This is why the longed lived races, dwarves and elves, are the ones who usualy make Mithral and Adamant items.

That depends...

Say you can make a DC30 check.

That accomplishes 90 GP of work/week. So it'll take 12 weeks.

If you can make a DC40 check, it'll take 7 weeks.

So, its highly dependent on how much downtime your campaign gets. Mundane item crafting can give non-casters something to do during downtime.

Twowolves

Explorer
nittanytbone said:
Mundane item crafting can give non-casters something to do during downtime.

Or once the wizard hit's 9th level, it can give him something to do for 1 round per 10 cubic feet of raw material.....

SRD said:
Fabricate
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: See text
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Up to 10 cu. ft./level; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material. Creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the fabricate spell. The quality of items made by this spell is commensurate with the quality of material used as the basis for the new fabrication. If you work with a mineral, the target is reduced to 1 cubic foot per level instead of 10 cubic feet.
You must make an appropriate Craft check to fabricate articles requiring a high degree of craftsmanship.
Casting requires 1 round per 10 cubic feet (or 1 cubic foot) of material to be affected by the spell.
Material Component: The original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created

Zurai

First Post
Dargon said:
What about the speed an AC penalty?

Mithral Scale Mail counts as light armor, so there's no speed penalty. The armor check penalty would be -0. Mithral reduces the penalty by 3, and masterwork quality reduces it by a further 1. Max dex would be +5.

Note that I'm not positive about the armor check penalty there; the mithral entry doesn't mention that the masterwork bonus is included in the material bonus, so I take the view that the two bonuses stack. This may be erroneus.

Christian

Explorer
Zurai said:
Mithral Scale Mail counts as light armor, so there's no speed penalty. The armor check penalty would be -0. Mithral reduces the penalty by 3, and masterwork quality reduces it by a further 1. Max dex would be +5.

Note that I'm not positive about the armor check penalty there; the mithral entry doesn't mention that the masterwork bonus is included in the material bonus, so I take the view that the two bonuses stack. This may be erroneus.
Elven chain has a total ACP of -2; so I think the masterwork bonus is already included.

Zurai

First Post
Christian said:
Elven chain has a total ACP of -2; so I think the masterwork bonus is already included.

I noticed that myself, but it's not unknown for there to be mistakes in cases like that. For example, it is NOT mentioned in the item description that Dwarven Plate (which is made of adamantine and thus automatically masterwork quality) has a reduced ACP.

Dargon

First Post
Mithral Scale Mail counts as light armor, so there's no speed penalty

And that is how I have played it for years. But were does it say that there are no speed penalty to light armours?

The speed is listed at each individual armor. Just because they are the same for all light, medium, or heavy armors listed, does that mean it is tied to the category and not the armor?

Remove ads