• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Mixed bag of 4e questions

Oreot

Explorer
My players have some questions they want answered before we start our campaign, it’s a mixed bag, I will ask them then give my interpretation. Sorry if these are a little odd, I was asked to post them.

1.)Can players craft wondrous items with the enchant ritual.
Me: no, you cant enchant a mundane bag into a bag of holding etc, this isn’t possible.
2.)Do the magic items with the “Healing” keyword in their powers trigger the cleric “Healers Lore” ability and if no why do they have that keyword at all?
Me: Healers Lore specifies “When you grant healing with one of your cleric powers that has the healing keyword,” as the armor is not a cleric power then no.
3.)Is the multiclass restriction intentional on ranger PP?
Me: I assume it is intended as it wasn’t in the errata but this player thought he saw something about it maybe getting changed that I didn’t find. Any official stance I missed?
4.)Warlock infernal pact, the temporary hitpoints granted do they stack?
Me: It is stated that temporary hitpoints from different sources do not stack and you take the higher which I assume applies.

Thanks for your help.
Oreot

One addition: Does viper strike ability pp145 allow an opportunity attack to anyone, even say the ranger across the room, was just asked that so I included it, it does not seem that way to me as opportunity attack is clearly defined.

Last edited:

1of3

Explorer
1.) Yes, you can.

2.) No. Healing Lore only applies to "cleric powers". It doesn't even work on Inspiring Word, if your Cleric becomes MC Warlord.

/ Edit: They have the keyword because maybe some element will refer to it in the future. The idea of keywords isn't about using them reliably but only eventually. /

4.) Consenus is: Temporary HP never stack.

5.) An opportunity attack is melee basic attack. Unless that ranger has very long arms (and threatening reach), it won't work.

Last edited:

Oreot

Explorer
Fantastic, thanks for the quick reply. #1 surprises me but I guess that is a hold over from 3.5 where it was separate.

Oreot

Explorer
I saw that but the wording seemed odd and was causing some confusion as to what was a different source etc... with my players. Thanks.

Keenath

Explorer
1.)Can players craft wondrous items with the enchant ritual.
Me: no, you cant enchant a mundane bag into a bag of holding etc, this isn’t possible.
Why not? Of course they can. It's called Enchant Magic Item; the rule text says nothing that would limit that ritual from creating any old item they want... And do you see some other way to create magic items? How else would they go about it?

2.)Do the magic items with the “Healing” keyword in their powers trigger the cleric “Healers Lore” ability and if no why do they have that keyword at all?
Me: Healers Lore specifies “When you grant healing with one of your cleric powers that has the healing keyword,” as the armor is not a cleric power then no.
As 1 of 3 said, you are correct. The armor still has the keyword because it's a healing power and powers always have the keywords that specify what they do. Even if an item's keyword doesn't do anything right now, future supplements might have powers, feats, or items that will interact with it. For example, some immediate powers trigger when somebody nearby uses a Healing power. (I think it's the Leech Shirt in the Adv Vault.)

Me: I assume it is intended as it wasn’t in the errata but this player thought he saw something about it maybe getting changed that I didn’t find. Any official stance I missed?
That's up to you, honestly. As written, multiclassing into ranger doesn't let you use ranger paths. I don't see any reason for it, though. A non-ranger can carry two weapons (and in fact, take the two-weapon feats to get benefits for doing so) -- though unlike a ranger they'll need an offhand weapon for their off hand -- and they can easily take advantage of paths that use two weapon style. Anyone proficient with a bow can use one to take advantage of archery paths. There's no convincing reason to limit multiclassers.

I would require a multiclass ranger to select one of the weapon styles, but they would not gain the benefits of that style -- just for purposes of path selection, you get to be considered one or the other.

But that's just my houserule and it probably won't ever come up.

4.)Warlock infernal pact, the temporary hitpoints granted do they stack?
Me: It is stated that temporary hitpoints from different sources do not stack and you take the higher which I assume applies.
Every time you add temporary hit point, it's a different source. If you already have temporary hit points and are instructed to add more, you just get whichever is more. You never add a new number to your existing temp HP. Just replace.

One addition: Does viper strike ability pp145 allow an opportunity attack to anyone, even say the ranger across the room, was just asked that so I included it, it does not seem that way to me as opportunity attack is clearly defined.
Technically, you can have it provoke an OA from an ally who is across the room. In most cases that'll be a stupid idea, though, because OAs are very clear on what they can do, and they're nearly always against an adjacent target. (The exception being the Threatening Reach quality.) Viper Strike in no way gives the recipient of the effect the ability to make an OA that has longer reach than his weapon, and you usually can't make OAs with ranged weapons at all, so you'd be giving the guy an OA he can't actually use.

It is theoretically possible that a character might have a special ability (possibly from a paragon path) that lets him use a bow to make OAs at range -- but that would be a special situation. If it happened, though, yeah, you could trigger that with Viper Strike.

Thanee

First Post

I really cannot see why.

At most one could require to learn the respective feat a ranger gets when choosing one of the weapon styles in order to qualify for the ranger paragon pathes.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads