Mixing Genres: Sci-Fi Campaign using 5E Rules

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
How about psionics?

In my mind (rimshot) they have always been more of a science-fiction flavored ingredient, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to throw it into the pot. But I remember how unbalanced and awkward they were in the days of AD&D, which put me off of them entirely. Is anyone using psionics in their 5E D&D campaigns? What resources are you using?

Am I just being paranoid about balance?

Reynard

Legend
If you are worried about balance, don't underestimate the value of reskinning: crossbows are guns, wands are blasters and clerics are psionicists. You might have to curate options, but if a player wants to do something you had previously considered a non starter for sci-fi -- a warlock just to pick a random example -- ask THEM how it can work in sci-fi. You not only get the player to do some world building for you, but you also get to make them happy with a "Yes, and?"

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If you are worried about balance, don't underestimate the value of reskinning: crossbows are guns, wands are blasters and clerics are psionicists. You might have to curate options, but if a player wants to do something you had previously considered a non starter for sci-fi -- a warlock just to pick a random example -- ask THEM how it can work in sci-fi. You not only get the player to do some world building for you, but you also get to make them happy with a "Yes, and?"
Excellent advice...I've already reskinned a lot of the minor stuff and magic items (divination magic = short-range scanners, wand of magic missiles = laser blaster, firearms = well...firearms...)

If you think Warlocks are non starters for sci-fi, you should check out Unearthed Arcana: Modern Magic. I found it the other day and it's got a lot of pretty cool stuff in it. There's a "Ghost in the Machine" option that I think would be rad in a sci-fi 5E campaign.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm totally nicking that "Ghost in the Machine" warlock for the sci-fi campaign. Emergent AI superbeing as a patron?! Yes please.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Stars Without Number might be worth a look. It's pretty heavily inspired by D&D, though I haven't spent a huge amount of time looking at it yet. I've heard nothing but praise for the work of Kevin Crawford.

For a more D&D-ish Guardians of the Galaxy type tone, material from White Star is even
more suitable for looting I think - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...-Science-Fiction-Roleplaying-Swords--Wizardry & https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/175521/White-Star-Companion-Swords--Wizardry?src=also_purchased

The best approach with these and Starfinder is just nick the useful bits, ignore the rest. Eg you might find the White Star starship rules and the Serials (PC backgrounds) handy, while using regular 5e races & classes, and the laser weapons in the 5e DMG.

I would like a d20 Modern 2.0. but there are some problems about balance of power. How to explain it better? Do you remember the survival horror videogame "Alien: Isolation"? Only a xenomorph is a true nightmare, but in other games, for example the 1994 Capcom arcade "Aliens vs Predators" you can kill literally hundreds. A psycho-killer with a knife, for example the night slasher from Stallone's movie "Cobra" is too dangerous for an unarmed civilian character as Ingrid Knudsen (Brigitte Nielsen) but Marion "Cobra" Cobretti (Sylvester Stallone) could kill all the cult of "the new world". With the right weapon you can kill a dinosaur and only a shot is enough. With remote-control drones you can kill enemies from other town, or country. You could drive a truck to run over horde of zombies. Buffy the vampire slayer only needed a RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) to kill the judge (season 2 episode 14) and the Mayor was tricked to go to a zone with lots of explosives.

How should be the XP reward and the challenge rating when the monster is too hard, or easy?

My opinion is WotC wants a second edition of d20 Modern, but to use this system for different franchises like mechas, (war) action heroes or superheroes. D20 isn't ready to mixing melee weapons, powers and (more) modern gunpowder firearms.

Have you seen the SRD of Starfinder?

togashi_joe

First Post
Holy carp, everyone...thank you for the excellent suggestions!

@Satyrn: thank you for the link to Esper-Genesis, I had no idea that it even existed. I briefly looked it over, and it checks both boxes: it's 5th Edition rules, and it's science fiction. I am going to download it as soon as I get home and start tinkering with it. And from what you said about the Mage Hand Press kickstarter, I'll definitely be checking that out as well.

Esper Genesis is fantastic. I've DM'd over 100 hours of it and it's a lot of fun if you know and like 5e D&D already. I suggest also checking out the Facebook group and the Discord channel.

EDIT: EG also meshes really well with 5e D&D and the two can be run side-by-side. These are the rules for it I use to combine them in my campaign:

• Light, Medium, Heavy armor proficiencies remain the same
  • Simple weapons and medium weapon proficiencies remain the same
  • For specific weapon proficiency (such as if your class/races says battle axe or energy staff), you may use the equivalent weapon (i.e. same damage dice and type)
  • Purchase equipment from either book; 1 gp = 10 cu
  • Skill proficiencies remain specific to your class
  • You can select a background from either book, allowing you to gain skill or tool proficiencies you normally wouldn't get. Also, don't forget that either book has rules for Customizing a Background (pg. 115 in the EG book or pg. 125 in the PHB).

Last edited:

Remove ads