• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ML3's FREE Home Brew Monster Art

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hey Michael,

we're working on updating the Creature Catalog, and a piece or two of new art for the gallery (see previous page of this thread about 3/4 the way down) if you have the time would be super sweet. :) *hint hint*

Deadone

First Post
Whao! That is... Damn! Its better than I imagined it!
ml3, you deserve nothing but the highest praise for your work.

My next requests:
Steeplejack
From the shattered wall a beast larger than an oger emerges. Long and thick, the thing is covered in thick plates patterned with swirls of black, burnt red, bruised purple, sickly green, and dark yellows. Its head is lionlike with a large plate ridge over its black eyes. Three gaping maws dominate the lower part of the face, and four massive horns extend from under the jaws. Its feline body sports eight legs, four in the forepart and four in the back. Eight horrific tenticals form a double ridge along its back. Around it, bits of rubble float in the air, seemingly defiant of gravity, and dust whirls away in small tornados.

Zigur
A hulking, rust colored thing, shaped like a horrid amalgamation of spider and horshoe crab. Its long, teardrop shaped body is covered in a thick, smooth series of overlapping plates of carapace. Its head, which peeks out from under a thick ridge at the front of the beast is adorned by dozens of black eyes. Its slavering maw is ringed by mandible and its mucus burns the floor. It drags its huge bulk along with four massive talons which extend from the front of its body.

Si'thi'theren
The torso of the creature is like that of an overly muscled human. In place of leags, the monster has a huge whiplike tail that splits halfway along its length. Growing from the beast's sholders above its arms and from its waist are four tenticles, each ending in a cruel spike of bone. The beasts face bears fain resemblance to that of a human, with no eyes and a massive jaw, which seems to unhinge like that of a snake. A long dosal frill runs from the top of its heat to the tips of its tails. Color ripples along the creature's hide, shades of blues and green and silver shifting and flowing in a eye numbing pattern.

Lord Jokke
The creature towers over the battlefield, a massive beast of humanoid shape. Its massive body is covered in dark, sleek muscles.. From its back rise six gigantic draconic wings, black and leathery. The demon’s face is masked by black flame, but two glowing green eyes are visible through the shadowy corona. Six horns rise from the flames, forming a twisted crown. In its hand, the beast wields a curved falchion of black silver, on which vile runes have been scribed. The sound of laughter surrounds the beast, and the very ground writhes to escape its feet.

Malëfadius
Standing confidently before you, its arms hanging relaxed at its side, is an unusually tall Pit Fiend. The scales of its face have been elegantly painted, creating the mosaic image of a grinning visage in grays and deep blues. The fiend is garbed in a colorful suit of loose silk, reminiscent of the garb of a Harlequin or fool. The wings of the fiend have been painted with a swirl of colors, creating a chaotic, abstract image that causes the eyes to water. The talons on its hands and feet have been painted a deep, murky purple, and, as it moves, the sound of ringing bells emanates from the curved horns that rise from its head.

ml3

First Post
Frukathka said:
you still up for taking requests ml3?

oh sure. real world responsibilities slowing me down.

Incidentally, i'm not sure if i've mentioned this already but Jospeh Browning of Expeditious Retreat was kind enough to sleect some of my personal work to be included in his recently released 'Beast Builder'.

If you haven't seen this yet, I recommend you check it out at rpgnow.com
or drivethrurpg.com in PDF. I believe a hard cover is scheduled to come out some time thi ssummer. (no, i don't get commissions on sales ;) )

Olly

First Post
Sorry to bother you, ml3, but can I put in a couple of requests for some pencil sketches of these critters?

Dire Mole
Dire moles are large, cantankerous burrowing mammals, about three feet long from nose to rump. They have cylindrical bodies, covered in black fur, large, shovel-like feet with long, sharp claws, used for clawing their way through the earth and long, pink snouts that extend beyond their lower jaws. Like their smaller cousins, dire moles are almost totally blind and find their way by scent.

Retchenbeast
The retchenbeast, or muck drake, is not only one of the smallest of the greater drakes, but also one of the ugliest. Rather than sporting the graceful draconian form common to the other drakes, the retchenbeast resembles nothing so much as a giant, bloated toad with short, stumpy wings that can barely support its weight in flight. Like a toad, the creature's eyes bulge from the top of its head, allowing it to submerge all but its eyes under the swampy waters of its home territory. Its neck is much shorter and thicker than those of other drakes. All four feet are webbed, allowing for a faster swimming rate. The retchenbeast retains the standard drake's long, serpentine tail, which looks misplaced on the creature.

When clean, retchenbeasts are a greyish-brown in colour, with irregularly-sized scales. The larger ones often have wart-like projections on them, further enhancing their likeness to giant toads. However, clean retchenbeasts are rarely seen, for they are habitually covered in the muck and slime of the swamps, bogs and quagmires they call home.

Shard Hound
Dangerous predators of mountain passes and deep, rock-strewn caverns, shard hounds stand as tall as a horse, and have a vaguely lupine appearance. A shard hound has a mouth full of sharp, bony teeth, pointing every which way. It also has a coat of short, wiry fur, but its back and shoulders are covered with several, bony, rock-like spines, scales and plates that look not too unlike stalagmites. Indeed, they are ambush predators, often laying in wait amongst clusters of stalagmites, using their natural camouflage to hide from their prey.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ml3 said:
Incidentally, i'm not sure if i've mentioned this already but Jospeh Browning of Expeditious Retreat was kind enough to sleect some of my personal work to be included in his recently released 'Beast Builder'.

rock on! :)

liquidfilth

First Post
While I'm sure you're mired in requests, ML3, I figure there'd be no harm in posting a request.

-----------------------------------

What I've been trying to get my players to understand is a variation of an Eberron warforged, a unique monster who calls herself the Three-Who-Is-One, or the Mother, Maiden, and Crone - while she has the basic form of a warforged (of which stock drawings online are a-plenty) her neck is elongated, much like an African woman who's undergone a neck-stretching.

Her face was forged to be blank. Only a tiny pair of dots to allow for sight, and the slightest mesh on her face to allow sound to escape. She wears three masks, wearing any given one at any given occasion. One is a painted mask that looks like a hag's face - horrid and ugly and old. The next is a mask of a chubby, matronly woman, smiling. There's one last mask that's painted to look like a young woman's beautiful face (maybe inspired a bit from traditional oriental masks).

When not wearing the other two masks, they either sit on her hips or float independently around her head. She wears clothes appropriate to whatever mask she's wearing, unless she has no intention of hiding her nature. The only recent change to her body is a rather large ebony-black crystal jutting out of her right arm, as if it was immedded there against her will (which, in fact, it was). She makes some effort to hide it, with simple bandages, or by wearing long sleeves, although this isn't always the case.

-------------------------------------------

Game stats (if it's important) - Fiendish warforged gestalt monk/sorcerer/druid 8. She reports directly to the Daughters of Sora Kell, a trio of hags, and was built especially for them after the war had ended. While bitterly loyal to the hags, she's not without her own doubts, and her own desires.

Gladly answer any questions, should they come up.

Remove ads