• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mleibrock's in-game thread for Council of Thieves

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: [Sblock=Leif]This is the stock and trade of the Rogue. Rogues count on getting higher initiative than the bad guys to get in sneak attacks at the start of most fights. Because being flat-footed means no dex bonus which in turn means Sneak Attack![/sblock]
[sblock=OOC for Scotley]
Silly me! I never dreamed that a rogue could walk up directly to someone's face, tap him on the shoulder, and sneak attack him just by virtue of his higher initiative count. I thought that to sneak attack you had to be, well, sneaky, or something.
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
[sblock=My Corresponding OOC Comments]Just remember, Mike, if you start doing this, then we will expect it to happen in every combat from now on, so if we get the initiative we may cut down your flat-footed monsters like so much dry grass. On the other hand, Dru's FF AC is the same as his usual AC when he is in his heavy armor, so it makes no difference to him at all.[/sblock]

:) I hope you do. You guys are pretty bad-ass for level 1 characters so some of these first fights might just go that route.

mleibrock

First Post
[sblock=OOC for Scotley]
Silly me! I never dreamed that a rogue could walk up directly to someone's face, tap him on the shoulder, and sneak attack him just by virtue of his higher initiative count. I thought that to sneak attack you had to be, well, sneaky, or something.
[/sblock]

Good point Leif! No game system is perfect and Mike has many times drove me crazy because the rules didn't make sense. Scott's example is a perfect example of it. I guess as long as everyone knows the rules, they can figure out on their own where to make them work for their character.

mleibrock

First Post
Combat rd 1

Hellknight#3 looses a crossbow bolt at Liath who is the only target in his sight-line at this point. The bolt, hits her right shoulder soundly.

Tiko is up.

Trevor, Suzume and Janiven see Anundr a few feet ahead but you can't really make out what he is doing, it looks like he is moving something with his feet.

[sblock=Combat Status]
Code:
[u]Combatant		 AC/ T/FF 	-HP		Condition[/u]
Anundr			14/11/13	00/13		
Hellknight 3 		16/10/16	00		
Tiko			14/12/12	00/10		
Liath			16/13/13	03/10		
Hellknight 2         	16/10/16	02		FF
Hellknight 1 		16/10/16	00	        FF
Dru			20/10/20	00/11     	FF

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
Flat footed

Thanks for everyone's input on the flat-footed issue. I've decided on a ruling and I think it might be a fun difference from the normal game. The first blow initiates combat and everyone who goes after that will be flatfooted until they get to act. It might be kinda fun to see how you guys move around freely before beginning combat to gain a tactical advantage when you have the "surprise advantage.

Leif

Adventurer
Good point Leif! No game system is perfect and Mike has many times drove me crazy because the rules didn't make sense. Scott's example is a perfect example of it. I guess as long as everyone knows the rules, they can figure out on their own where to make them work for their character.
OOC: That's totally fair and just -- as long as everyone's knowledge of the rules is equivalent. Guess I'd better get to studying with my a$$!

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Hssst!"

Liath hisses in pain as the HellKnight's return volley strikes true.

[sblock=Stat Block]LIATH STARATELI CR 1/2
Female Fetchling Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban Ranger) 1
NG Medium Outsider (Native)
Hero Points 1
Init +4; Senses Darkvision, Low-Light Vision; Perception +4
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13. . (+3 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 10 (1d10)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +0
Defensive Abilities Shadow Blending; Resist cold 5, electricity 5
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 30 ft.
Melee Cestus +3 (1d4+2/19-20/x2) and
. . Dagger +3 (1d4+2/19-20/x2) and
. . Dagger +3 (1d4+2/19-20/x2) and
. . Rapier +3 (1d6+2/18-20/x2) and
. . Unarmed Strike +3 (1d3+2/20/x2) and
. . Warhammer +3 (1d8+2/20/x3)
Ranged Longbow +4 (1d8/20/x3)
Spell-Like Abilities Disguise Self (1/day)
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 14, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 12
Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 16
Feats Lost in the Crowd
Traits Roof Runner, Westcrown Firebrand
Skills Acrobatics +4, Climb +14, Craft (Armor) -1, Craft (Weapons) -1, Disable Device +4, Escape Artist +2, Fly +2, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Local) +5, Perception +4, Ride +2, Stealth +8, Survival +4, Swim +1
Languages Common, Varisian
SQ Enemies: Humanoids (Human) (+2 bonus) (Ex), Hero Points (1), Track +1, Wild Empathy +2 (Ex)
Combat Gear Arrows (20), Arrows, Blunt (20), Cestus, Dagger, Dagger, Longbow, Rapier, Studded Leather, Warhammer; Other Gear Artisan's tools: Craft (Traps), Pouch, belt (1 @ 5 lbs), Ring of Better Climbing
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Arrows - 0/20
Arrows, Blunt - 0/20
Dagger - 0/1
Dagger - 0/1
Disguise Self (1/day) (Sp) - 0/1
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Enemies: Humanoids (Human) (+2 bonus) (Ex) +2 to rolls vs Humanoids (Human).
Hero Points (1) Hero Points can be spent at any time to grant a variety of bonuses.
Lost in the Crowd +2 circ bon to Stealth in urban areas, +4 in crowds.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Roof Runner You spent your early years exploring and foraging along the rooftops of your home city. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Acrobatics and Climb checks, and on Reflex saves to avoid falling.
Shadow Blending (Su) Miss chance in dim light increases to 50%. This does not grant total concealment.
Track +1 +1 to survival checks to track.
Westcrown Firebrand +1 Initiative, +1 attack rolls during a surprise round.
Wild Empathy +2 (Ex) Improve the attitude of an animal, as if using Diplomacy.
--------------------
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads