• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MM Preview: Here be Red Dragons

MightyZehir

Explorer
Not sure about how I feel about this one yet. I'm fine with Ancient dragons not having spells, but not even some new abilities. It's just a scale up stat of a adult red dragon. Come on, give them at least a new toy or two.

gyor

Legend
In the comments its stated that the ancient red dragon gets legendary terrian powers like causing magma spout to erupt under you feet.

am181d

Adventurer
Not sure about how I feel about this one yet. I'm fine with Ancient dragons not having spells, but not even some new abilities. It's just a scale up stat of a adult red dragon. Come on, give them at least a new toy or two.

I believe the legendary/lair abilities count as new tricks?

MightyZehir

Explorer
In the comments its stated that the ancient red dragon gets legendary terrian powers like causing magma spout to erupt under you feet.

I believe the legendary/lair abilities count as new tricks?

Adult red dragons already have those abilities. like I said, it feels like an adult red with bigger numbers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just wish ancient dragons have something unique. Each stat block before the ancient got something in addition to bigger numbers.

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, that was about how I felt. (As you point out, lair abilities are available to Adults as well as Ancients.) They don't even deal that much more damage, although they sure do get a lot more hit points.

Overall, it looks awesome! Maybe just a bit too 4E-style though...

Adult red dragons already have those abilities. like I said, it feels like an adult red with bigger numbers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just wish ancient dragons have something unique. Each stat block before the ancient got something in addition to bigger numbers.
I sort of agree. While I'm definitely not in the "dragons should be giant wizards!" camp, I'd like it if they had access to at least some utility spells and rituals. Dragons ought to be the biggest, baddest, toughest things on the block; they shouldn't have to hire (/enslave) a wizard-contractor to disguise themselves into humanoids (Lord Firkraag from BGII:SoA), summon a demon to replace their heart (Ashardalon), or ward their lairs.

Question: What kinds of lair actions does a red dragon have if it doesn't live in a volcano? (I.e.: Smaug from The Hobbit.)

Finally, what's this about red dragons coming into territorial conflict with copper dragons? Red dragons have historically always been competing with silver dragons (their metallic equals) for mountaintop territory....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I figured lair actions would be more about how a legendary creature had set up it's lair with obstacles and traps and rituals.....as for the dragon, I don't get how creatures this big don't have trample, or pin, or whatever to handle many creatures at once. Also, I don't get cone shaped fire.... .

am181d

Adventurer

Ah! Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads