• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MM2 Excerpt: Heroslayer Hydra

Jack99

Adventurer
Let me see if my math is right.

Average AC for a fighter at level 20 is about 33 (did a quickplay character in the builder).

Fighter Turn 1: "I mark you, you big stinky-headed nasty thing"

Hydra Turn 1: "Oh yeah, I eat heroes. 5x +27 vs AC; 1d10+12 a hit - if two hit, take an extra 10." "Oh yeah, and action point."

150 average damage against the marked guy.

I think I'm in love.

Sounds like your problems with challenging your players are going to be solved, huh?

AllisterH

First Post
Also- do hydras not have legs?

Hmm? Isn't the image below the classic representation of the Hydra?
Argonauts2.jpg

Shroomy

Adventurer
You know, I like looking at all the sexy elites and solos just as much as the next guy, but I do hope that WoTC previews more of the bread and butter monsters that are scheduled to appear in the book (maybe some new humanoids or fey).

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
While i like challenging monsters, I think this one has too much built in player-screw.

• Turns a class ability into a class disability
  • Can't stop the heads from regrowing at all
  • Can't target the body to avoid regrowing heads
  • Party gets punished for backing up the abused Tank [Rampage]
  • Party gets punished for being lucky [hitting it with a crit recharges Rampage]
I think that DMs should look at things like this monster, especially if they think that it has the power to really screw with their particular PCs, as an opportunity to create a skill challenge to determine some way to get an advantage against the monster. Perhaps the PCs can find some way to keep the heads from regrowing. Perhaps the PCs can figure out a way to get the hydra to a location advantageous to the PCs. This is a solo monster to fight before moving on to Epic tier, so I think it is sufficiently dramatic from the combat side of things, but it also can provide a perfect opportunity to blend the combat and non-combat aspects of the game into a dramatic whole.
Let me see if my math is right.
While I do not fault your math, indeed, I think it's probably correct, the great thing about 4E play is the way that different characters can rise to the challenge to increase the defences or other abilities of the other PCs.

I think that people really should be wondering about how such monsters, especially solos, will interact with PCs. However, PCs work well together and this is one of the thrills of 4E, I think. Additionally, as I said before, allowing the PCs to use their skills for special prep for big, level-ending solo monsters is a potential addition to the game. Wizards have a choice of dailies for a reason. There a many feats that allow PCs to swap out abilities after a short or extended rest. Creatures like this should be used as an opportunity to activate these PC abilities.

Last edited:

Holy Smokes

First Post
Mechanically, the simplest way to grant special damage that avoids head regeneration would be a separate damage track. Both tracks would count towards bloodied/death status, but the special track would not count versus Regenerating Heads. A modest pain in the ass for the DM, but it is a solo after all; YMMV.

Remove ads