• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MM2 vs. MoF

Dristram

First Post
I was eventually planning on picking up the Monsters of Faerûn to suppliment my MM, since it includes traditional AD&D monsters like the Bullywugs. But now I see there is a MM2. Does anyone have know if the MM2 included monsters from the MoF? Or, are they all unique?

MoF

was anyone else kinda pissed off at a softcover monster book (monsters of fearun)containing many monsters that can, argueably, be considered as core monsters?

i dont own it, thats how much it bothered me. i will pick it up when it hits the used book stores.

joe b.

reiella

Explorer
Well most any books can arguably be considered 'core' in their content.

The real big net effect is MonF will prolly never come into the SRD.

As the book is really done more so in the Core book style (art, color coding, etc), and people tend to think of it more as a baseline book than not.

And well, not matter what, any monster supplement for FR would come off heavily as monsters that should have been core, as wasn't the last 'default'/assumption campaign world FR?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
What I know will probably be in MM2:

Death Knight Template

Crimson Death

Lux

and something called Deathbringer.

I think the other list you might consider is Tome of Horrors by Necromancer Games. It's basically a collections of monsters that were converted over on the Creature Catalog, which is linked to En World on the front page. They have monsters in there that WON'T be in MM2. Thus if you want a certain monster, it might be in Tome. But the monsters that appear IN MM2 won't be in Tome of Horrors. I hope that was helpful.

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
Re: MoF

jgbrowning said:
was anyone else kinda pissed off at a softcover monster book (monsters of fearun)containing many monsters that can, argueably, be considered as core monsters?
I have no idea why this would upset anyone. Does the noble bullywug deserve the dignity of hardback?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Nightfall said:
What I know will probably be in MM2:

Thus if you want a certain monster, it might be in Tome. But the monsters that appear IN MM2 won't be in Tome of Horrors. I hope that was helpful.

Once again you are most correct my friend. I can't say what is in the MM2 (NDA's and such prevent it) but I can tell you what ISN'T in there.

Basically, anything you see listed in the Table of Contents for the Tome of Horrors is not in the MM2 (or the BoVD for that matter).

Both Clark and I worked very closely with WotC to insure there would be no overlap with any of WotC's future products.

Remove ads