• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mmmm...Libris Mortis.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
jmucchiello said:
(I still say that stain of blood is a horse.)
I think the important reason to be against piercing cold is it leads to someone creating monsters with Piercing Cold Immunity. This in turn leads to the Greater Piercing Cold weapon ability, monsters with Greater Piercing Cold Immunity, the Even Greater Piercing Cold weapon ability and so on and so on. Better to disallow the Piercing Cold ability and nip this trail of useless weapon and monster abilities in the bud.

JM, that's perfect reasoning, and I'm smacking myself on the forehead for not thinking of it.

(I argued against a similar chain of feats on my boards once ... someone suggested a fighter feat that let you take an AOO against unarmed strikes even if the opponent was a monk or had Improved Unarmed strike, and I said that would mean the monk would get Super-Duper Unarmed Strike to counter the proposed feat, and the fighter would take Ultra Unarmed AOO Smackdown, and the monk would take Mega Double Dragon Unarmed Strike, etc. to infinity).

Felon

First Post
Actually, looking at the BoVD entry on Orcus, I can see that his entry in LM is pretty much a work of copy-and-paste from the former to the latter.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Damn.

I was hoping for a different entry. (Didn't much care for Monte's write up.)
Does it mention Kiaranselee at all? I mean in terms of Orcus wanting to crush the life from her shell of body...?

BelXiror

First Post
Actually, something DOES happen to the soul when someone's turned undead.

Look through Raise Dead, Resurrection and True Resurrection.

Raise Dead - A creature who has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can’t be raised by this spell.

Resurrection and True Resurrection - You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed

So while someones undead, they can't be raised OR resurrected. This implies, to me, that the soul is busy, specially since True Res doesn't even need the body to bring someone back.

Vocenoctum

First Post
jmucchiello said:
(I still say that stain of blood is a horse.)
I think the important reason to be against piercing cold is it leads to someone creating monsters with Piercing Cold Immunity. This in turn leads to the Greater Piercing Cold weapon ability, monsters with Greater Piercing Cold Immunity, the Even Greater Piercing Cold weapon ability and so on and so on. Better to disallow the Piercing Cold ability and nip this trail of useless weapon and monster abilities in the bud.

The problem with that being (as I posted earlier) that Piercing Cold doesn't affect Cold Subtype monsters. So there's no reason to make Even Greater Immunity to beat Piercing Cold, as Cold Subtype already trumps it.

Felon

First Post
Nightfall said:
Damn. I was hoping for a different entry. (Didn't much care for Monte's write up.) Does it mention Kiaranselee at all? I mean in terms of Orcus wanting to crush the life from her shell of body...?

No, it's just reprinted material, largely word-for-word...and truncated, of course because the entry is smaller.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Sean, I know how you feel about critical hits and undead. I am trying to figure out a mechanic for beheading vampires and came up with one loosely based on the Buffy RPG. If the critical hit's multiplied damage is enough to reduce the vampire to 0 hp, it suffers the full critical hit's damage and its head is severed. If not, then it suffers only the normal (non-critical) damage for the attack. How does that sound?

seankreynolds

Adventurer
That's interesting. It might be easier to just say they have 75% or 90% crit immunity (like the fortification ability), and assume that the crits that get through are head or heart strikes.

Remove ads