• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[MnM] Skill Variant: Backgrounds

whydirt

First Post
Here's a rough, new idea I've had over the past week while thinking about the skill system in MnM.

BACKGROUNDS

Instead of buying individual skills, players select a background that fits character. Normal backgrounds grant a skill bonus of +1 per level for anything the character attempts that reasonably falls in the background. The character still adds the appropriate ability bonus to the base background bonus.

Normal backgrounds cost 2pp per level, while those that have a very narrow or broad focus would respectively cost one point more or less per level, similarly to a Flaw or an Extra connected to a power. A good rule of thumb is to consider whether the background covers physical, mental, or social activities: a background that focuses on one is likely narrow, one with two is normal, and one with all three broad.

Generous GMs might allow characters to use half their background bonus for attempting things that fall somewhat, but not completely under the skills and talents of the chosen background.

Under this variant, Skill Focus still grants a +3 bonus, but only to a certain part of the background, equivalent to one of the standard skills as listed in MnM. Talented now gives a +2 bonus to one aspect of the background (physical, mental, or social). Super-skills work similarly to Skill Focus in that they must be taken for individual skills; as an option Super-skill can cover a narrow background instead, a normal background with one Extra, and a broad background for a double Extra.

Example:

By day, Supraman is Mark Ment, a Miled Mannered Reporter +5. Mark would get a +5 bonus to write some decent copy, track down a lead, research facts using microfilm at the public library (the Weekly Planet is an independent newsweekly and doesn't have a large buget). He might get a +2 bonus (half of +5, rounded down) to develop film negatives (Mark has hung out with the staff photographer, Deiter Darker, enough to stumble through making some photos) or fast-talk his way into the evidence locker of the local police station. Mark would get no bonus at all trying to start a fire with nothing but wood, some cord, and a knife, but luckily Supraman's burning eye-beams can handle that problem just fine.

Here are some example backgrounds and how I would likely categorize them.

Background (Type)
Cook (Narrow)
Minor League Baseball Player (Narrow)
Elementary School Librarian (Narrow)
Police Officer (Normal)
Lawyer (Normal)
Pizza Delivery Driver (Normal)
Explorer (Broad)
Military Special Operative (Broad)
Secret Espionage Agent (Broad)
Roleplaying Game Designer (Broad)

Thoughts?

threshel

First Post
A lot of what you're suggesting is covered in the Profession skill. Unlike most d20, Profession in MnM isn't used to make money, since money isn't a real concern to supers games. In fact, your description of Mark Ment's Reporter ability is nearly the same as Profession: Reporter.
Of course, your version takes into account different ability scores, whereas Profession is based on WIS only. You might find it easier to just House Rule Profession's key ability to be situational.
:)
J

whydirt

First Post
threshel said:
A lot of what you're suggesting is covered in the Profession skill. Unlike most d20, Profession in MnM isn't used to make money, since money isn't a real concern to supers games. In fact, your description of Mark Ment's Reporter ability is nearly the same as Profession: Reporter.
Of course, your version takes into account different ability scores, whereas Profession is based on WIS only. You might find it easier to just House Rule Profession's key ability to be situational.
J
Yes and no. I'd also consider the Reporter background to include some degree of Search (gotta examine the scene of the story), Diplomacy (gotta coax the story out of some people), Knowledge: Local (gotta know your beat).

My idea is to break players loose from the hard and fast skills as listed and facilitate thinking outside the box a bit more. I think when you have a menu of skills listed in writing it's easier to fall into just using what's there.

threshel

First Post
whydirt said:
Yes and no. I'd also consider the Reporter background to include some degree of Search (gotta examine the scene of the story), Diplomacy (gotta coax the story out of some people), Knowledge: Local (gotta know your beat).

My idea is to break players loose from the hard and fast skills as listed and facilitate thinking outside the box a bit more. I think when you have a menu of skills listed in writing it's easier to fall into just using what's there.

Oh, sure. I think your idea is a good one, and would certainly give the skill system some flexibility, allowing you to build to concept without having to worry about covering every individual skill necessary. I wasn't trying to contradict you, but rather, suggest you make Background an expansion of the Profession skill. It would give players an idea of how it works, would fit in with feats and powers, etc. without you having to spell out every detail.

Just a thought.
J

Remove ads