• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Moar Feats

Psikerlord#

Explorer
This is the thing people keep trying to rules lawyer forgetting, durable provides a floor for the die roll, not the hp recovered. You still can't roll a 10 on a d6.

I agree, the die roll max caps at 6. Still great for auto full hp healing between fights if you are a 16 con wizard, an 18 con rogue/monk, or 20 con fighter/paladin. Melikey.

Li Shenron

Legend
Quite nice feats examples, definitely confirm that the magnitude of 5e feats is at least twice compared to previous editions.

Dungeon Delver sounds very useful to me to the archetypal Rogue. Of course in a wilderness or intrigue/social campaign with little or no dungeon explorations, it's another matter. But this is not a flaw of the feat... the same happens if you take a social-oriented feat and then play only dungeon crawls. IMO it's still good even for the other party members, because of the defensive abilities vs traps (even if secret doors are already taken care by the Rogue).

Durable is clearly more useful to low-HD characters. A Barbarian with its d12 HD gets most HP back because of the die rather than the Con bonus, so this feat is only moderately useful (for all Con values, the minimum HP granted by this feat is always less than you average HP regained). The lower the HD, the better the benefit, so that a d8 character gets a minimum higher than the average if she has Con 20, and a d6 character if she has Con 18 or 20.

Elemental Adept also is powerful, and gives a traditional flavor to a spellcaster... I am not so glad it allows bypassing energy resistance, but at least they didn't make the terrible mistake of letting it bypass energy immunity.

jbear

First Post
Just from the responses in the thread so far, and reading the Durable feat myself, I have to agree that it seems poorly worded and open to different interpretation unless there is a definition somewhere in the rules as to what a 'roll' entails i.e. the pure roll of the dice or the dice and any modifiers included.

My own interpretation out of pure instinct without having a clear idea as to what I should understand as a roll would be to only consider the roll of the dice without any modifier.

So in the case of the wizard with 20 CON (so modifier = +5) when they roll the d6 HD to recover HPs the minimum roll would be 10. A d6 obviously doesn't go up to 10 so it is capped at 6. So basically that wizard does not need to roll for HPs any more they get max every time 6 + CON modifier (5) = 11 HPs. There is no variation of 10-11 (in the case where you consider dice roll and CON modifier to determine minimum HPs recoverd from "the roll") HPs recovered (unless it says somewhere that a roll should always be considered to mean the roll including any added modifiers).

And even if I am incorrect, the fact there are already so many varied interpretations seems to confirm that it could have been worded more clearly.

Juriel

First Post
Durable looks worth taking.

Durable is horrible, and it gets worse the larger your hitdie is. A Con 18 Barbarian going from 5-16 healing to 8-16 healing is nothing. Especially when you only recover HALF of your hitdice during a long rest, so this won't even help you 'naturally' heal anything.

If Durable skipped the roll and just let you treat each hitdie as its maximum, even then it would still only be worth taking in a specific kind of a campaign. But at least then it would fit the other campaign-specific feats on this page.

Last edited:

Juriel

First Post
Quite nice feats examples, definitely confirm that the magnitude of 5e feats is at least twice compared to previous editions.

Funny, I view these feats (and Tavern Brawler, oh boy, that thing) as proof that they haven't learned anything from previous editions. These are tiny niche feats that will get overshadowed by anything else that does actually something useful (like, +2 to stats). So, they end up being just filler bloat, just like 90% of the feats of previous editions.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
If the player wants dungeon crawls, the player should up and say, "Hey, I'd like to do some dungeon crawls." DMs have enough work without reading tea leaves on the players' character sheets. Half the time I don't even know what feats the PCs have.

Because all D&D players are extroverts who frequently speak their mind.

You don't look at new character's sheets? I don't think of it as work, or see it as mind reading to talk about stuff, that's all I was suggesting. Also I suspect since feats are bigger and fewer, it won't be like like looking a huge list.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads