• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mobile Darkness Advantage Question

DCViking

First Post
So I have poured over rule books, errata, spell descriptions, forum discussions, and arguments over beer over the following:

Does my Devils Sight + Darkness (cast on my arcane focus) give me a mobile bubble of auto-advantage against all attackers (since they can't see me), and auto dis-advantage (also because they can't see me)?

I say yes. Reasoning as follows:

PHB pg 183: "A heavily obscured area - such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage - blocks vision entirely. [HI]A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition when trying to see something IN that area."[/HI]......."Darkness creates a heavily obscured area. Characters face darkness outdoors at night (even most moonlit nights), within the confines of an unlit dungeon or a subterranean vault, or in an area of magical darkness"

PHB pg 194-195: "When you attack a target that you can't see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you're guessing the target's location, or you're targeting a creature you can hear but not see."

To me, this means that a creature is effectively blinded trying to see me as I am "in that area" of magical darkness. We then follow standard Advantage rules. Thoughts?

Oofta

Legend
Yes, it does work as far as I know. Of course it also blinds your fellow adventurers, so they probably won't be too happy with you.

All true.

It also means that your party cannot heal you with (mass) healing word , prayer of healing, or healing spirit.

Anyone standing near you is also subject to the same disadvantage, whether friend or foe. In a dungeon setting it may not actually be possible for your ranged allies to get more than 20 ft away from you.

I am playing such a character at the moment and it is a complete pain. I am going to change the combo.

Another thing to consider is that this tactic means you are not using hex or fear or fly or hypnotic pattern or any other things that need your concentration.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Something that you definitely need to consult with the other players about. They will likely not want to adventure with such a character.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If you're an Arch Fey Warklock, it's only going to matter until level 7 anyway, when you get Greater Invisibility.

MarkB

Legend
Whilst it does conceal your position, bear in mind that it also advertises your presence. A forty-foot wide mobile globe of darkness is very big and obvious, in any environment open enough for it's use to be practical.

Remove ads