• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Modding 4e

fjw70

Adventurer
As some one who just started a S&W game, coming of 16 levels of 4e, I'd also be interested in hearing more on what you've been doing to 4e-ize S&W.

That bit you quoted was a quote from JeffB from another thread.

I did some houserules for BX a whole ago that was inspired partly 4e. I will see if I can find that document.

JeffB

Legend
Some of the 4e isms...(essentials)

A second wind mechanic- regain 1/4 HP, twice per day (only once per encounter)

Scaling Power Strike for fighter (addtl dX damage, 1-2 per encounter)

3 strikes and out for poison, or other Save or Die/no longer playable effects...but at normal saving throw # as per rules (single save catagory in S&W). Same when Pcs hit zero HP. If not stabilized or healed within 3 saves (1 attempt per round of course)..toast.

Minor scalable at x times per encounter attack spell/effect for magic users/clerics (magic missle, holy weapon, that type of thing)

Action Point 1x per day

Keep in mind per supp1 GH, only Fighters recieve Str bonus for combat (all classes suffer penalties), and only fighters benefit from DEX to AC. Helps to keep Fighters powerful at high levels.

Also keep in mind, unlike typical OD&D, no retainers/henchmen, and small group...4 PCs...so helps survivability. Four 3rd level PCs still got creamed in Palace of the Silver Princess though, mewhahahahaha....

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
That bit you quoted was a quote from JeffB from another thread.

Ah, whoops!

I did some houserules for BX a whole ago that was inspired partly 4e. I will see if I can find that document.

Wouldn't mind seeing those. Although maybe deserves it's own thread, rather than derail this one. Sorry about that.

Some of the 4e isms...(essentials)

A second wind mechanic- regain 1/4 HP, twice per day (only once per encounter)

Scaling Power Strike for fighter (addtl dX damage, 1-2 per encounter)

3 strikes and out for poison, or other Save or Die/no longer playable effects...but at normal saving throw # as per rules (single save catagory in S&W). Same when Pcs hit zero HP. If not stabilized or healed within 3 saves (1 attempt per round of course)..toast.

Minor scalable at x times per encounter attack spell/effect for magic users/clerics (magic missle, holy weapon, that type of thing)

Action Point 1x per day

I beefed up fighters with extra damage and some choosable feats, rather than a Power Strike type ability. And I gave Second Wind a serious thought, but decided to see how things went before adding it to the mix.

But Three Strikes saves, Minor Scalable Powers (in the form of Cantrips), and Action Points I've all incorporated.

seti

First Post
The only changes I've made to 4e so far:

I 'fixed' the psion. They get more damage dice for their at-wills as they hit higher tiers like everyone else gets now.

I added a +1w or damage die for paragon, and a +2w or damage dice for epic. Sorry, but I felt doing 1w+ ability mod at paragon wasn't enough, and getting an extra 1w at 21st level for at-wills wasn't enough either.

I allow PCs to up the damage of lower level encounter/daily powers instead of being forced to take another power as they level up.

I do these things because monsters have too many HP's. Also, monster damage goes up a step at paragon, and again at epic; yet PC damage doesn't really do that...in the RAW.

I'm also going to try the 13th age escalation die next time we play. That seems like something worth trying out.

fjw70

Adventurer
The only changes I've made to 4e so far:

I 'fixed' the psion. They get more damage dice for their at-wills as they hit higher tiers like everyone else gets now.

I added a +1w or damage die for paragon, and a +2w or damage dice for epic. Sorry, but I felt doing 1w+ ability mod at paragon wasn't enough, and getting an extra 1w at 21st level for at-wills wasn't enough either.

I allow PCs to up the damage of lower level encounter/daily powers instead of being forced to take another power as they level up.

I do these things because monsters have too many HP's. Also, monster damage goes up a step at paragon, and again at epic; yet PC damage doesn't really do that...in the RAW.

I'm also going to try the 13th age escalation die next time we play. That seems like something worth trying out.

All weapons and powers get the damge die bump? So long swords do 2d8 paragon and 3d8 at epic? And fireballs do 5d6 at paragon and 6d6 at epic? I like it.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Some very very cool ideas in here !

After reading 13th Age, I was conforted in the "damage by weapon by class" and "AC by armour type by class" approach I always thought was a good idea but never had the courage to implement. Seeing that others were braver is both shaming and encouraging !

Thanks !

seti

First Post
All weapons and powers get the damge die bump? So long swords do 2d8 paragon and 3d8 at epic? And fireballs do 5d6 at paragon and 6d6 at epic? I like it.

Exactly. I really felt it was necessary to cut down on the grind of combat, especially encounter 'end game' (ie: 3-4 rounds in). Plus, I run a lot of Dark Sun Creature Catalog and MM 3 beasties. Some of them, even at level 5-7 do a lot more damage per round than equal leveled PCs.

For example: Anakore Render, level 7 brute 96 HP, Claw (at-will basic attack) 3d8+6 damage, AND pushes 2 squares AND knocks prone. Some Dark Sun early paragon monsters do 4d10+8 and such as basic attacks as well.

That's like a level 7-12 encounter, or even daily, power for some classes... My PC's were getting sick of doing 10-15 HP (with their at wills) damage to some monster with ~100HP, and yet taking 20-30 HP damage from a monster's basic at-will attacks. And, I wasn't going to stop making the environment of Athas eat healing surges pretty often, either...That's part of Dark Sun flavor that I won't give up. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads