• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Modern Background Ideas?

gfrobbin84

First Post
Hey I am working on a D&D 5e modern game set on earth, late 90s-early 2000s. Magic and monsters are real but most people don't know and those that do aim to keep it that way for the of the whole planet. The players will start off as 0 levels with little or no knowledge of the truth about magic and monsters, class and skill will determine starting knowledge. I am having some trouble coming up with ideas for character backgrounds. So I was hoping y'all could help me with brain storming some background seeds if not full backgrounds.

DJCupboard

Explorer
Hey I am working on a D&D 5e modern game set on earth, late 90s-early 2000s. Magic and monsters are real but most people don't know and those that do aim to keep it that way for the of the whole planet. The players will start off as 0 levels with little or no knowledge of the truth about magic and monsters, class and skill will determine starting knowledge. I am having some trouble coming up with ideas for character backgrounds. So I was hoping y'all could help me with brain storming some background seeds if not full backgrounds.
How about:

Hacker
Blue Collar Worker
Executive
War Vet
Public Servant

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

MechaPilot

Explorer
Given that the D20 Modern equivalent to a background was an occupation, my biggest problem would be narrowing down the possible backgrounds. There's a nearly limitless number of occupations to choose from, and unless you want to make them rather specific (which is not necessarily a bad thing) you'll need to find common occupational trees.

For example, DJCupboard mentioned an Executive background. Many executives have some kind of background in economics, finance, accounting, or more than one of the above. Perhaps you could come up with a Corporate/Finance background that could cover stock brokers, economists, loan officers, accountants, and maybe even SEC personnel.

Likewise, you'd probably want a scientist background that could cover chemical engineers, physicists, etc.

An entertainment background could be good for covering television and film stars, as well as theater performers, radio personalities, and possibly musicians as well (unless you wanted to put them in an artist background).

At a minimum, you also need some sort of Ordinary High School Student background. You may want to make it pretty flexible, though, so as to accommodate an entire party full of them.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ok so we have already a few good suggestions. I agree that they should be broad.

- criminal
- homeless
- academic/scholar (non-scientist)
- forest worker (hunter, lumberjack etc)
- farmer/agriculture/other rural job
- service industry
- health care worker (lots of those out there)
- sailor/fishermen
- old money

akr71

Hero
-scientist
-bus driver/taxi driver
-teacher
-farmer
-trucker
-retail worker
-call center worker
-police officer
-fire fighter
-security guard
-entertainment industry (movie/tv/music/stage)

Li Shenron

Legend
First, I think you can use at least these PHB backgrounds with small adjustments:

Acolyte (rename as Cleric or Priest)
Charlatan
Criminal
Entertainer
Guild Artisan (rename as just Artisan)
Outlander
Sage (rename as Scholar or Academic)
Sailor
Soldier (include police officer / private guard as suboption, or make a separate background)
Urchin

then you can add for instance these modern profession types:

Medic (suboptions: Physician, Surgeon, Psychologist, Nurse, Field/ER Medic...)
Technician (suboptions: Industrial Worker, Vehicle Mechanic, Electrician, Computer Expert...)
Chemist (suboptions: Lab Technician, Pharmacist, Biochemist...)
Driver (suboption by vehicle type)

Remove ads