• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Modern]Bonuses by State?

clark411

First Post
Argus Decimus Mokira said:
Massachusetts

Dexterity +2, Charismah -2. Natives of the Commonwealth ah excellent drivahs, capable of navigating the myriad of rotahries, suicide intahsections, and minimum speed limit by-ways, but in doing so have developed very pooah interpahsonal skills, often relying on crude hand gestchas to communicate with othahs. The accent doesn't help, eithah.

+2 extraordinary bonus to Knowledge - Sports History. Though long and painful, there isn't a single peahson in Massachusetts who can't rattle off a series of dates and accomplishments foah the majah league teams based in Boston and the environs.

+4 supernatural bonus to Navigate when in the borders of Massachusetts. The secrets of I-95 and Route 128 have bestowed Massachusettians with a mystical ability to locate themselves anyweah.

-50 penalty to Charismah-based checks with natives of New York City, New York State, people weahing blue and white pinstripes on any ahticle of clothing, anyone who has eveah utteahd the words "1918", "Babe Ruth", or "it was only Game 6 and they still had a chance". The reasoning foah this is obvious.

Thanks
-Matt

DISCLAIMER: Sure, I'm from Western Mass, where we speak like normal human beings, but stereotypes are fun. And we still drive like wild animals, too.

HAHAHA Oh loahd, that's priceless! Go Big M!

cjyoung1

Explorer
Michigan [Detroit]
{whole different breed then the Michigan [out-stater] and the Michigan [Yuper]}
+2 on constitution (one day it will be 95F with 100% humidity, the next 45F and a cold rain)

Bonuses
+4 on intimidate rolls (you're from where? Detroit - ok pal just don't hurt me)
+2 on driving checks and knowledge (history-cars). Cars, they are built here and the road-ways are in such a state as you need to continue to buy new ones every two years if you can not avoid the potholes, construction barrles and other drivers.
Cold resistance/2
+2 vs intimidation rolls (That is not a gun, I'll show you a gun)
+6 vs sports intimidation checks (the lions and tigers together have lost more games this year then the Yankees did in the 90's)

Last edited:

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Oh I like this...I'll do my home state and here...

Florida
Constitution -2, Charisma +4. You try to live in a tourist state and not know how to blow people off politely.

+2 Diplomacy checks when giving directions.
+2 saves vs. Heat effects.
-4 saves vs. Cold

;)

Stilll a yankee and not a floridian! ;)

Con +2 Cha +2 Wis -2 Str -2

Sure we can withstand the heat but it fries our brains and makes us not want to lift that huge box off the porch and into the fridge, do it later!

+2 Diplomacy when dealing with foreigners, unless they are canadian and then it's -4 especially Quebecers.

Immune to normal heat affects less than 120 degrees

-4 to cold saves

+2 to disease saves, have you seen the bugs down here?!?!?

drothgery

First Post
blackshirt5 said:
OK, I had an idea. Why not give people in a modern setting bonuses by States(or Provinces, or how you divide things up in England, I forget).

If everybody could name bonuses, that'd be great.
So what modifiers would someone who was born in OH, went to junior high in WI, went to high school in upstate NY, went to college in MA, and currently resides in southern CA use (just in case I ever get stuck in one of those silly 'write up your own stats' games)?

And just one write up...

Ohio

No modifiers. Ohioans are perfectly normal. Just ask them.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
cjyoung1 said:
Michigan [Detroit]
+2 vs intimidation rolls (That is not a gun, I'll show you a gun)

You don't even have to show a gun. Just mention you're from Detroit and everyone thinks you're a bad-ass.

Northern California (NoCal):

Just like the southerners, -2 WIS, +2 CHA, +1 CON (nobody smokes, not tobacco anyway).

Skills: +2 to all language checks, +2 to Cultural Lore, +4 to Computer Use or Technical skills. -4 to Intimidate.

Pariah

First Post
Oho! Stereotype regional feats? Let me lampoon the best state in the whole US (Mine, of course)

Tennessee [Eastern]

+2 Dexerity (We pick the banjo real good, and shoot guns real good)
+2 Constitution (We don't hold to that high falutin' snake oil medicine, we's tough)
-4 Charisma (Ew're not from round hair, ar ye, boy?)
-2 Intelligence (We larned all we need by 4th grade)

Tennesseeans have had a rich history of being good ole fashioned country folk that are somewhat ignorant of more worldly matters. They have a reputation for being able to shoot a fly's wings off at 50 paces with their trusty "Betsy", and everyone here has a good "coon" hunting dog. They don't really have a reputation for highly intellectual endeavors, though they exhibit a certain native cunning. They are somewhat insular and don't take well to those that they consider to be outsiders (and some say all those they aren't related to are considered outsiders)

+2 Animal Handling
+2 Profession (Cooking) "Vittles"
+2 Survival(Wilderness Lore)
+2 Perform (Banjo/Guitar/Fiddle)
+2 Poison(Natural poisons) (all that snake handling! :eek: )

Tennesseans, like the people from Arkansas,start off Illiterate, and must expend skill points to become Literate in their native tongue.

All Tennesseans automatically receive proficency in

Ranged Weapon(Rifle)
Ranged Weapon(Shotgun)
Ranged Weapon(Pistol)

They also recieve a bonus Weapon Focus feat for one of the above, as everyone is taught to wield a gun here by 5 years of age.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Graf said:
New Yorker - New York (Manhattan - native)

-2 to Charisma
-4 to knowledge (local, geography) - except when applied to a specific 7-mile-long-3-miles-wide-at-its-widest-point island

Bonuses:
+4 to checks involving navigating subways and other confusing underground systems
+4 to opposing diplomacy checks checks (raises DC to affect New Yorker)
+2 on level checks to generate a DC for intimidation
+1 on reaction checks with other natives (cancels charisma penalty)
+3 on reaction checks with people who want to live in NY (stacks with natives who desperately want to go back)
HEY!
we get a bonus to drive too!
And what the, we do not have a -2 penalty to charisma!

dream66_

First Post
Oklahoma

+2 Con, Oklahomans are hardy people
-2 Int, Not especially quick

+4 to Handle animal (Cattle)

Resist first 5 points of damage from extreme heat or cold. It can't make up it's mind what the weather is gonna be in oklahoma.

Free Personal Firearms Proficiency (Huntin' Rifles only)

-4 to Diplomacy, we're not accostumed to even seeing another person, much less talking to them.

Remove ads