• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern Drug Addictions

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Mortadelo said:
Any ideas for another kind of drugs?

I have a player who wants to play an jamaican marijuana smoker.

Thanks for your time.

That's a tough one. I think I would temporarily reduce dexterity by -2 while directly under the effects of the drug, and make long term use reduce intelligence by -2 (for loss of short term memory) for a longer period of time until the individual is clean for, say, a few weeks.

If you want the drug to provide a benefit, I think it would not be totally out of line to offer a +2 increase to wisdom.

Extremely long term use (like several years) of the "joint" variety should reduce Con as a result of tar build-up in the lungs.

Shadow64

Mortadelo said:
Any ideas for another kind of drugs?

I have a player who wants to play an jamaican marijuana smoker.

Thanks for your time.

Some ideas (some are bit more role-playingesque then concrete system rules):
1. Sometimes forgets what he was talking about. (-2 to Int checks?)
2. Laughs at innane things (something that he might not laugh at before he could bust out into hysterics about after smoking)
3. -2 to initiative checks (delayed reactions)
4. -1 to any attack (slowed reactions)
5. Maybe +2 to saves vs. mind effecting spells/effects simply because he is so relaxed.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I would have thought that the poison mechanics would be more effective for simulating a drug.

Note the effects of having one of your mental stats reduced to zero...

Probably also have taking drugs cancel certain side effects of the last batch of drugs - ie

save DC 15
primary effect: Temporarily cancels the effects of this or any other dose of this drug for a period of 30 minutes, 1d6 temporary wisdom damage

Secondary effect: 1d2 con damage, 1d2 wisdom damage, 1d2 charisma damage

That should properly simulate addiction, as well as the differences between someone being high or not.

KitanaVorr

First Post
Don't forget risks such as:

1. Overdose that could lead to disability or coma or death
2. Might be allergic to the drug itself producing a fatal heart attack or brain aneurysms, etc
3. Addiction/Withdrawl...takes more of the drug each time to prevent withdrawl symptoms
4. Poison effect works, the longer the use, the more irreversible damage to the body

You could try looking at the health databases to see what the effects of certain drugs do to the body.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
KitanaVorr - OD's tend to happen when someone severely miscalculates the dose. In my example, someone could save against the primary effects multiple times, before sucking down all of the secondary effects, and dying from having a con of 0. Alternately they could take a number of doses, have the primary and secondary effects hit them, be reduced to 0 wisdom (ie - be put into a coma), then have the secondary effects kill them off 30 minutes later.

Also note that with the above levels of damage, 1 dose a day will typically keep you NOT losing stats - you'll save against the secondary effects about half the time, and you'll take two points about half the time. You'll constantly have degraded stats, but they'll stay roughly constant. If you take a break, you'll feel bad while you're off the drug, but eventually your stats will come back.

Last edited:

KitanaVorr

First Post
Originally posted by Saeviomagy KitanaVorr - OD's tend to happen when someone severely miscalculates the dose.

Well that's the thing about drugs is the people who use them have no clue what the proper non-lethal dosage is for them. Its all by trial and error that they usually find out or by urban lore...unless they've got a pharmaceutical or medical degree, read up on the drug in journals, etc. And since with addiction, you've got to take more of the drug each time to get the same effect you'll be getting closer and closer to a lethal dose without realize it.

Drugs are tricky things and it is more common to OD on them than most people think. Just work in an emergency room and you'll find out.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I was pointing out that the system I proposed DOES handle ODing, not trying to say that OD's are uncommon. It's random, sometimes a single hit won't give you what you need, the longer you take the drug for, the more you need it to function normally etc. The only thing I can't simulate is tolerance, but that's sort of factored in by character level and increasing saves.

MacPhail

First Post
Thanks for the interest and feedback, everyone. We have run a few sessions, and a couple of snorts after the character found out he had to give up his civilian identity and enter the espionage buisness were well timed and well played. The other charatcers have been handling the talking when he is in his worst shape, and I'm still ironing out the jitters of combat while high. The guy does really well at playing it, though, so I may just pull the rules mods and let him run with it, and just drop in a +/- 2 once in a while to keep it balanced.

As for dope, most of the mods should be negative, unless the character is trying to fit into a certain situation or calm his nerves. The Will save idea is a good one, but I wouldn't apply the mod just to Wisdom in general. Maybe a bonus to attention-oriented tasks like Craft or Research; task fixation is one thing associated with marijuana. Definately a bonus while using Gather Information at a Phish show. If your campaign has an arcane element, it might factor in to break down barriers and allow the charatcer to transcend to a different level of conciousness, man. I'd agree with the Init penalty, and a penalty to Ref saves as well.

Kefka_Rowantha

First Post
Another idea to add

I am definatly not the biggest expert on drugs around... however I did have an idea on what to use it for in a Modern campaign.

Perhaps tweek the campaign setting around and have it so when the character is having a "high" he/she can see the true appearance of monsters, so where to the party the buisnessman is a fat jerk, to the junkie he could be a mind-sucking Illithid!

A simple thought I was thinking of using in my campaign

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads