• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern20 BBEG Concept: Help Needed!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm working on a concept for a recurring BBEG somewhat similar to Lord Voldemort in Harry Potter or Mister Sinister in X-Men. Specifically, I want to set up a BBEG with some kind of secret back-up plan that allows him to feign defeat when the going gets tough (like Voldemort and Sinister, he'll also be powerful but not utterly unstoppable).

I've considered implementing something like a lich's phylactery, the Magic Jar spell, or even the Extra Life advantage from GURPS* (in fact, that last one probably matches what I'm looking for most closely). Past that, I'm at a bit of a loss. Is there anything more appropriate for this kind of villain in d20 other than what I've already listed?

*Basically this gives a character a "clone" body that acts as a lich's phylactery does in D&D. When the character is killed, they are transferred to the "clone" body. Each such clone has a pretty high point cost. In Modern, I think I'd probably let a player buy this as a feat, with one clone available per time taken.

ruemere

Adventurer
Clone and Simulacrum spells, activated via supernatural type of device.
The former to return the villain to life in case he is prematurely killed, the latter to provide safe means of interacting with hostile environment.

Both spells fit perfectly d20 Modern - all you need to do is to get rid of fantasy prerequisites (like spellcaster level) and introduce modern trappings (weird device, time curse, etc).

Regards,
Ruemere

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
I think clones or robot duplicates are a great way to go for a modern campaign, something like SHIELD's "life model decoy".

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I think clones or robot duplicates are a great way to go for a modern campaign, something like SHIELD's "life model decoy".

I hadn't even thought about robots! I recently snagged LPJ Design's robot supplement for Haven: City of Bronze and though it assumes completely unintelligent robots, I think I can probably make that work with a little bit of work. Thanks! :)

SQuigley316

First Post
Give the BBEG the Power Feat Computer Link from Supers20 and have them take the stunt Remote Hacking. The villain is defeated and transfers his "essence" through his computer link to his headquarters and the next body. Ultron style!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads