Modern20?

Vigilance

Explorer
Turanil said:
Mmmh... This Modern20 definitely seems worth looking at! I am even more tempted buying it. Especially with the reasonnable 10$ price.

Will there be some additional material for sci-fi? kinda Future20?

Yeah, that's pretty likely at some point.

The exact form it will take I am still not sure.

Either Future20, or a Prometheus Rising campaign setting, or a Darwin's World campaign setting for Modern20 is a lock, probably all three eventually.

In what order they'll come I'm not sure.

UoR11

First Post
Would something like Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth work with Modern20? Brief summery of it, there are tradition feats, which open up skills, and casting magic is based off skill checks, with a total of 10 different skills.

Vigilance

Explorer
I don't see why not. The magic that is in the game is skill-based, so I would think someone else's skill-based magic system would work just fine.

Turanil

First Post
Vigilance said:
Yeah, that's pretty likely at some point.

The exact form it will take I am still not sure.

Either Future20, or a Prometheus Rising campaign setting, or a Darwin's World campaign setting for Modern20 is a lock, probably all three eventually.

In what order they'll come I'm not sure.
My 2 cents suggestion would be:
1) Prometheus Rising and Darwin's World campaign settings without game mechanics.
2) Future20 includes all supplemental rules intended for Prometheus Rising and Darwin's World.

Johnny Angel

Explorer
Just a slight clarification:

The ranks you get for Hobby and Background don't stack, right? I mean, they both give you +4 ranks in certain skills at 1st level, and the normal limit of 4 ranks at first level applies, so they were never intended to stack? Except of course if you can change Occupations, you could presumably also change hobbies, so once you got to 5th level you could take a background skill as a hobby, provided you hadn't been pumping ranks into it all that time.

On page 27, it says:

Each character receives a number of skills from his character class, modified by her Intelligence. The skills character chooses begin with 4 ranks. As a character rises in level she will receive more skill points to increase skills. The maximum a skill can be trained to is the character’s total level plus three. Cross-class skills (skills a character has no selected) have a maximum value of one-half this number.
This is more vague than you presumably wanted it, and d20 Modern itself is not as clear as I'd prefer either. But even where the old rules are less fuzzy, I don't want to fall back on my understanding of them and miss an important difference meant to be attended to in Modern20. Which of the following does not apply?

1) At 1st level, a character picks a number of Starting Skills equal to the class skill number + Int Mod.
1a) If the skill picked is on the list of class skills for the 1st level class, then that skill will be assigned 4 ranks.
1b) If the skill picked is not on the list of class skills, it may still be selected, but it will only be assigned 2 ranks, since any more ranks would violate the maximum ranks by level rule.
1c) None of the starting skills can be the same as either the Hobby skill or the Background skills, otherwise the maximum skill ranks principle will be violated.
2) There is a maximum number of ranks a character may have in a given skill.
2a) The maximum for class skills is character Level + 3
2b) The maximum for Cross-class skills is (Level +3)/2, rounded down.
2c) The maximum for skills which have been class at some levels and Cross-class at others is (Number of levels as class skill +3) + ((Number of levels as Cross-class skill + 3)/2, rounded down)?
3) There is a maximum number of skill points a player can spend on a skill each level.
3a) For class skills, the number is 4.
3b) For Cross-class skills, the number is 2.
3c) You cannot spend enough points on a skill at a given level that the maximum ranks rule by level would be violated.
4) The Hobby and Background skills selected add ranks to the chosen skills.
4a) If the skill is a class skill at 1st level, then taking it as a Hobby or Background skill adds 4 ranks
4b) If the skill is a Cross-class skill at 1st level, then taking it as a Hobby or Background skill adds only 2 ranks, as any more would violate the level limit on skill ranks.

I realize that it may look like I'm splitting sheep here over what was intended as a bang easy concept, but except for item 3, which is a specification I recall , surely any accurate answer to the question of whether you've spent too many points on a given skill would have to take all of the other points into account.

Also, there is no mention of multi-classing. Is it allowed?

Vigilance

Explorer
I think I would go with #1.

Hobby and Background skills are intended to broaden the range of your skill selection in a limited way.

For example, a lot of characters will take a hobby in a skill like Firearms, so they're proficient in a few weapons, even if they intend to be non-combatants.

Perception, Crime, Vehicles and Outdoorsman also seem to be popular choices here.

Background and Hobby skills are not affected by your class skill list. In other words, no matter what your class skill list is, if you select a skill from a Background or Hobby you get 4 ranks.

Now when it comes to spending your class skill points, you just pick the appropriate number of skills, maxed for being 1st level.

This isn't really a hard and fast rule for me, it's just something that speeds up character generation.

In other words, if you get 4 skill points per level and have an Int mod of +0, you take 4 ranks in 4 class skills at 1st level.

Multiclassing is freely allowed without restriction, except obviously you don't get the class' core ability if you multi-class into it.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

jonrog1

First Post
Spent my one day of the week off reading this and playing with it. Basically --

BUY IT. NOW.

PROS: Skill system is delicious, especially the combat skills. Lethal and non-lethal fix is elegant. Wealth system finally works (I'm biased, I use the exact system as a house rule). Reputation finally has a function. Perks are a fun mechanism. infinite variability in a very simple game-role structure for classes -- a design philosophy we've seen in better MMO's, Monte Cook plays with in WoD, and the basis for the next iteration of D&D. Vigilance nails it here.

CONS: A liiiiiitle vague on defining some of the new ideas. As you've seen from questions above, it could have used an editors pass from someone less familiar with the mechanics. For example, perks and how they're assigned really needed a cleaner explanation. Recourse Points, too, took me a second or third read before I realized that they were allocated as a static pool, not always spent. I'd re-arrange the general explanation of terms into the front, like True20 does. And ... cross-class skills? Still? Really? But that's just me.

But another big honkin' win for Vigilance. The expansion books should be great.

Vigilance

Explorer
jonrog1 said:
Spent my one day of the week off reading this and playing with it. Basically --

BUY IT. NOW.

PROS: Skill system is delicious, especially the combat skills. Lethal and non-lethal fix is elegant. Wealth system finally works (I'm biased, I use the exact system as a house rule). Reputation finally has a function. Perks are a fun mechanism. infinite variability in a very simple game-role structure for classes -- a design philosophy we've seen in better MMO's, Monte Cook plays with in WoD, and the basis for the next iteration of D&D. Vigilance nails it here.

CONS: A liiiiiitle vague on defining some of the new ideas. As you've seen from questions above, it could have used an editors pass from someone less familiar with the mechanics. For example, perks and how they're assigned really needed a cleaner explanation. Recourse Points, too, took me a second or third read before I realized that they were allocated as a static pool, not always spent. I'd re-arrange the general explanation of terms into the front, like True20 does. And ... cross-class skills? Still? Really? But that's just me.

But another big honkin' win for Vigilance. The expansion books should be great.

Whoa, thanks a lot man!

And yeah, a lot of the new concepts just clicked with me, so I just dropped them in and went "here you go!" and then can't understand why folks might be confused lol.

I mean, it all made sense to ME.

And actually, we did add more explanation on perks after editing. Yes, the final draft had less explanation lol.

About cross-class skills, they're only sort of still there. I do think they help enforce the roles a little, but between backgrounds, occupations, hobbies and multi-classing, if you want a skill, you can get it regardless of role.

But again, thanks for the kind words.

Glad you liked it!

Chuck

Remove ads