Modos Rulebook: the real-time editing thread

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Final update: I think I've met my goal: Modos RPG v.1.1 is playable before Christmas. There are definitely some gremlins lurking in the rules still. Help on ferreting them out will be greatly appreciated. Also, I've started the rules catalog, which is the cliffs-notes version of all the rules. That'll take some time, again, unless a community member or two want to lend helping hands.

But as I've said earlier: this game is free-for-all! Take it for a spin, make it your own, and let me know how it goes! I'll be running play-by-chat soon enough.

1) Writing assistance. Something is misspelled, doesn't make sense, or could be written better.
2) Rules assistance. The rules are in a state of revision. So tell me if you think there is a more elegant way to handle a rule. Keep in mind, Modos is intended to be as simple and fun as possible, while inviting additional, separate rules in the form of modules.
3) Praise ;)

A fairly important legal note: these rules are open-source (the rules catalog, not so much the rulebook) and public domain. Everyone is free to distribute, use, and even publish these rules as desired. Please be kind enough to give credit to your humble author, Michael Terlisner, and probably the EN World community for all the help I'm sure to receive!

Attachments

• ModosRulebook.zip
    487.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Table of Contents

Chapter 1: Introduction[sblock]

• Overview
  • Chapter Preview
  • Sample of play
[/sblock]
Chapter 2: Game Mastering[sblock]
  • Adjudication
  • Segmenting
  • Environments
    • Obstacles
    • Traps
  • NPCs
    • Quick NPCs
    • Villains
  • Pre-Game
    • Campaign Theme
    • Player Input
    • House Rules
    • Character Creation
  • In-Game
    • Counters
    • Tracking Damage
    • Rolls
      • Timing
      • Necessity
  • Post-Game
    • After Session Review
    • Rule Zero Discussion
    • Character Progress
[/sblock]
Chapter 3: Characters[sblock]

• Character Creation
  • Character Concept
  • Abilities
  • Levels
  • Health
  • Hero Points
  • Roleplaying
  • Roll Playing
  • Rule Zero
  • Roleplaying Rewards
[/sblock]
Chapter 4: Skills[sblock]
  • Specific Knowledge
  • Skill Points
  • Learning Skills
  • Common Skills
    • Cast Spell
    • Concentration
    • Deceive
    • Detect
    • Fight-Melee
    • Fight-Missile
    • Fight-Unarmed
    • Handle Animal
    • Knowledge-Nature
    • Knowledge-Scholarship
    • Larceny
    • Movement
    • Parry
    • Persuade
    • Profession-Scientist
    • Profession-Healer
    • Profession-Artist
    • Profession-Craftsman
    • Sneak
    • Willpower
[/sblock]Chapter 5: Perks[sblock]
  • Choosing Perks
  • Gaining Perks
  • Common Perks
    • Armor Training
    • Backstab
    • Casting Endurance
    • Cat's Eye
    • Diehard
    • Divine Intervention
    • Dodge
    • Dual Wielder
    • Enlightened
    • Familiar
    • Fearless
    • Grudge
    • Heroic Companion
    • Informed
    • Ki Strike
    • Large Size
    • Longstrider
    • Lucky Day
    • Nick of Time
    • Observant
    • Off the Mark
    • Owl's Eye
    • Rage
    • Sleepless
    • Small Size
    • Specialize
    • Special Move
    • Spell Implement
    • Spell Maintenance
    • Spell Upgrade
    • Stubborn
    • Toughness
    • Weapon Focus
[/sblock]Chapter 6: Equipment[sblock]
  • Ownership Limits
  • Carrying Limits
  • Armor
  • Weapons
  • Gear
  • Special Equipment

[/sblock]Chapter 7: Magic[sblock]
  • Spellcasting Basics
  • Acquiring Magic Spells
  • Magic Spell Entries
  • Common Spells
  • Designing Spells
  • Creating Special Equipment
  • Sample Special Equipment

[/LIST]
[/sblock]Chapter 8: Conflict[sblock]

• General Conflict
    • Contests
    • Difficulty
    • Table 8-1: Difficulty
    • Take Half
    • One-Roll Conflicts
      • Degrees of Success
    • Extended Conflicts
      • Rounds
      • Initiative
      • Surprise
      • Turns
      • Actions
      • Bonus Actions
      • Reserve Actions
    • Damage
  • Physical Conflict
    • Physical Damage
    • Combat Posture
    • Table 8-2: Posture Chart
    • Special Postures
    • Table 8-3: Flanking Posture
    • Range
    • Weapons and Armor
  • Mental Conflict
    • Detecting
    • Awareness
    • Mental Damage
  • Metaphysical Conflict
    • Metaphysical Damage
    • NPC Disposition
    • Allies
    • Magical Conflict
    • Casting Spells
      • Additional Information
[/sblock]Chapter 9: Bestiary[sblock]
  • Designing Monsters
  • The Generic Monster
  • Villains
  • Common Monsters List

[/sblock] Chapter 10: Modules[sblock]

• Rules Modules
    [*=1]Designing Concept
    [*=1]Designing Rules
    [*=1]Implementing Other RPGs
  • Adventure Modules
  • Sample Rules Module
  • Sample Adventure Module
[/sblock]

Appendix A: Fast Play Rules

Appendix B: Frequently Asked Questions

Appendix C: Glossary

Appendix D: Rules Catalog

Index

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Chapter 1: Introduction

Welcome to Modos! Modos RPG is a modular, open-source roleplaying game designed for intermediate to advanced roleplayers. This Modos rulebook will tell you everything you need to know to play the Modos RPG, to make your own content for Modos, and nothing you need to know about being an experienced roleplayer. You'll have to learn those things for yourself.

Modos RPG is designed to be as simple as possible, while still being fun on its own. These simple rules were written first in outline form, so that anyone playing Modos could add or subtract rules as desired. This is what's meant by open-source. Further, Modos's simplicity allows it to take on new personalities when adding sets of rules or adventures. This is why it's called modular. The end result is, hopefully, the roleplaying game you've always wanted.

The last, and perhaps best, feature of Modos RPG is that it's completely free! Players of Modos are allowed to copy, transmit, and publish any and all parts of the Modos core rules, the rules in this book. Modos core rules are public domain, but Modos modules are the property of their designers. So ask or purchase before using modules!

The chapters of this rulebook are arranged in sequential order, beginning with the Introduction (chapter one). The first thing you'll need is a Game Master (chapter two). The roleplayers will then need Characters (chapter 3), who come equipped with Skills (chapter 4), perks (chapter 5), and Equipment (chapter 6). Special abilities for those characters are referred to as Magic (chapter 7), which is the optional and final preparation for Conflict (chapter 8). If player-characters and non-player characters aren't interesting enough to fight, a Bestiary (chapter 9) follows Conflict. These are all the rules. If you'd like to add more, you can introduce Modules (chapter 10) to the game. Finally, the appendices address any questions you might have about Modos RPG.

Here's a sample game session. [sblock] It will describe what happens during play, and leave the rules in the background, where they belong for now. In this session, Arnold, Betty, and Chris play characters with a goal of finding a nuclear physicist and extracting him to a place for interrogation. The game master, Greg, leads them through a top-secret facility. Note that the players were allowed to play their favorite types of characters, because Greg's campaign theme permits this.

Greg: the searchlight just went past. Now's your chance to cross through the darkness.
Arnold (playing Merloon, the wizard): I look at Montana and Number 2 with anticipation. Sneaking across secure compounds isn't something Merloon does often.
Betty (playing Montana Smith, the treasure hunter): I grab Merloon's hand and run across the yard. As long as he doesn't trip, we should be fine.
Chris (playing Number 2259, a hyper-soldier): Alright. I'm going. As I go, I turn on my motion-tracking goggles.
Greg: Arnold, does Merloon run with Montana?
Arnold: yeah, but he's old, so he stumbles a bit.
Greg: Betty, it would've been easy without Merloon. Arnold, you get a hero point. Betty, make a movement contest for Montana, minus 4 since Merloon makes it challenging.
Betty: (rolls a movement contest, and a penalty of 4 for difficulty) I got a 15. Montana scuffs his feet on the asphalt hauling Merloon back up as he stumbles.
Greg: Okay, you cross the yard with a few feet to spare when the searchlight comes back. You all pile up against the large facility outer wall. Chris, Number 2 thinks he sees movement in the static of his goggles, inside the building, but he can't tell for sure. Everyone roll detect.
All: (the players roll a d20 and add the mental modifier, plus detect skill. They announce 6, 7, and 19.)
Greg: Merloon and Montana, all you detect is distant guards walking through searchlights outside. Number 2 thinks he sees someone reclining inside the door ahead.
Chris: I ready my railgun!
Betty: Woah, boy. Ever heard of smooth-talking? I go up to the door, expecting that Number 2 saw someone inside he'd like to shoot.
Arnold: (to Betty) Tread lightly youth, for walls harken well. (To Greg) I take out my spellbook.
Greg: the door has a mag-reader. And it's very sturdy, so it probably doesn't get used often.
Betty: Montana fancies himself a lock-picker. Is there a keyhole?
Greg: a small one in the lower-right corner of the mag-reader.
Betty: I whip out the lockpicks and give a Harrison Ford sly grin. My Larceny skill is a +6. And I use a hero point, (rolls d6) plus 2.
Greg: (rolls for Montana) the lock feels very foreign inside. You're not sure you'll make progress.
Betty: Watch and learn, Number 2 (she motions for Number 2 to lower his weapon). I knock on the door, using my revolver if I need something heavy.
Greg: (simulates knocking sound). Strangely enough, you hear a hyrdaulic sound, and the door opens slightly outward. A guardsman wearing a beret and headcom sticks his head out. "Are you the pizza guy?"
Betty: erm, the delivery guy's at the east gate. They won't let him in. (Rolls a skill contest) Deceive 22.
Greg: Let's call that unlikely difficulty...I'll give you a roleplaying bonus. (Uses guard's voice) "Oh, :):):):). Look, I hit the alarm when you knocked, wasn't expecting anyone but the pizza guy. Let me go call a false alarm...wait, who the hell are you, anyway?" The guard looks you up and down, school teacher outfit, tie, and fedora.
Chris: (scoffs) smooth-talk? Let's dance! I shoot him.
Greg: roll initiative.
All: Each player rolls a d20, and adds his highest ability modifier. Chris took the Off-the-Mark perk, so s/he adds an additional 4 to initiative.
Greg: Merloon rolled highest. Wisdom comes in handy, huh?
Arnold: This time. I take defensive posture and wait to cast Shadow Hide You if other guards show up. (Arnold has renamed the Darkness spell for character flavor).
Greg: Done. Number 2?
Chris: since I got the jump on him, I steady my railgun for an action, and then fire. (Rolls Fight-Missile skill) Missile 12 plus 4 for aiming, damage 12! Skreee-blam (simulates railgun sound)!
Greg: no one wants to get hit by a railgun. He parries (rolls d20). Ouch. (Rolls d8) he gets 6 protection. For 6 damage, the guard flings himself back into the room, trips over his office chair and hits the floor really hard. He gets up holding his right shoulder, which is smoking. It's the guard's turn, and he has two actions left. He draws a pistol and shouts, "intruders!" Number 2's goggles pick up several guardsmen coming from the far side of the monitor room. Montana?
Arnold: Wait, what's the room look like?
Greg: It's a small, very dark security center. Two banks of computers, at an L shape, add a dull blue glow to the room. On the far side of the room is an open security door.
Betty: I take cover behind the doorframe. Number 2, you can shoot through the walls, right? (Chris confirms). Okay, I wait for a guard to take aim at me.
Greg: the round is about to end, Betty. You'll have a better chance at that with higher initiative. Want to delay?
Betty: Okay, I delay, but I reserve my last action in case that guard tries to shoot me.
Greg: Gotcha. He's not asking for trouble. But three more guards join the fray, running up to the doorway on the far side of the room. (Rolls initiative.) Betty, they're contending for highest initiative, so give me another contest.
Betty: (Re-rolls initiative) 13.
Greg: The new guards go first, and Montana's next. Two stay at the far entrance, in defensive posture. One runs up to his buddy to make sure he's okay. Betty?
Chris: Hang on! I shoot one of the guards hiding at the far door! Take half: 14! (Rolls 1d12) Damage is 8. Remember, I shot him through the wall.
Greg: That's one reserve action. You're lucky that no one else can shoot through walls...he tries to parry anyway, with a serious penalty. (Rolls parry, then rolls protection.) He screams some obsenity after getting his helmet knocked off, and since you acted during his turn, he can still act. He flees.
Chris: One down, three to go. I say this through our commo.
Betty: I'm pretty sure that Merloon owes us a Stasis spell, I pass. But I gesture at the nearest guard, looking at Merloon.
Arnold: Merloon is already closing his spellbook and casting. He knows the Stasis spell by heart.
Greg: Merloon will have to move to offensive posture, otherwise he won't have line-of-sight, since you're basically fighting through a doorway.
Arnold: Ugh. That's all my actions. Okay, I move to offensive, then cast Stasis. Rolling contests (rolls two Cast Spell-Stasis contests). 9 and 16. Not bad. "Freeze, you fool!" (Rolls 1d8) MP damage is 4.
Greg: the guard lets you cast, since he's never seen a magic-user before. He resists the mental attack (rolls concentration skill), but fails and doesn't budge. [/sblock]

The skirmish rages on, but goes poorly for the highly-outnumbered heroes. That is, until they fully utilize the magic of the past and the technology of the future. In your game, you can do one, both, or neither. For any of these, you'll need a game master.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Chapter 2: Game Mastering

As stated earlier in these rules, this game is not for n00bs. You will not find rules on how to plan an encounter, host a game session, nor handle problem players. But Modos has some rules for the game master (GM) that will benefit everyone if they are properly utilized. This chapter covers some traditional GM duties that function slightly differently in Modos, some guidelines to improve your games in Modos, and some features unique to Modos.

Adjudication[sblock]
The Modos core rules are very bare-bones. While this contributes to speed of learning and ease of use, it also means that the GM has more to do, because he must handle every situation for which there is no explicit rule. Adjudication means making and implementing a judgment on how the GM thinks a situation should turn out. This process happens frequently in Modos core rules, because many things, like abilities, skills, combat maneuvers, hero points, and even magic spells, leave much to the imagination, so it's up to the GM to make them come to life in a way that makes the game more fun. The GM has two allies in this quest: the campaign theme, and the players.

The campaign theme, discussed later in this chapter, is a guide to what does and doesn't belong in the game. For example, a character has the Profession-Healer skill. The player has decided that his character has diagnosed a villager with acute spinal meningitis, using that skill. But the GM may decide that acute spinal meningitis does not yet exist based on campaign theme, and the character's Healer contest simply reveals that the villager requires blood letting.

Player-characters are also a great source of adjudication help. The PCs know both what they want their characters to do, and how they want the game to feel. So if the GM has a clever trap planned, one that unfolds like a Rube Goldberg machine, and results in a trapdoor opening, it could be up to the player to decide if his character's physical quickness or mental acuity are more likely to save him from the trap.[/sblock]

Segmenting[sblock]

Closely related to adjudication, segmenting is another important tool for the Modos GM. Segmenting is the process of taking a continuous system and dividing it into as many discrete, useful, equal parts as possible. For example, a player wants his vampire-character to be able to shapechange into a swarm of bats. It's not something that improves with practice nor is limited by metaphysical health, so the GM decides to make the shapechange ability into a perk tree (see Perks chapter). He starts by imagining a three-perk tree: alter face, bat form, swarm form. These perks are discrete and useful. But the change in significance from alter face to bat form is much greater than the change from bat form to swarm form. They're not equal. So the GM adds another perk between alter face and bat form: grow wings. He now has four perks in the tree, which means the character must be at least level 4 to achieve the swarm form. Has he created as many useful parts as possible? He can use the level titles (Characters chapter) to guide him here: level 7 is called Legendary level, and the swarm form perk definitely sounds like something a legendary character would do.

Although segmenting comes up primarily when introducing new special abilities, skills, or non-damaging spells to the game, it can also be important for things like obstacles or mass-combat. Whenever it's necessary, remember the considerations: many, discrete, useful, and equal.[/sblock]

Environments[sblock]

What do a trench-filled battlefield, a seething asteroid landscape, and a towering wall of encrypted security protocols have in common? They're all environments you can find in a game of Modos RPG. The campaign theme determines what environments characters encounter, but every environment follows the same rules - the rules in this book. How many rules is up to the GM: the characters can explore freely and not worry about rules, or they can use skill contests when the GM wants a more concrete outcome, or you can go round-to-round and use full conflict rules to negotiate the landscape.

An obstacle is a special part of the environment. Obstacles are events that force characters to make a choice: overcome the obstacle or circumvent it. They're called an event because an obstacle can be, for example, a sinkhole in the road, an encounter with a former lover, or a trojan virus attack. The common thread is that what the character decides to do will alter the course of the story. If precise timing is important to the outcome, the GM should use conflict rules and initiative for an obstacle. If not, a few relevant skill contests should suffice.

If the sinkhole diverts characters into a bomb in the road, or the trojan virus attack contains anti-program weapons, you have a special type of obstacle. This is a hidden obstacle, or for short, a trap. Mechanically, a trap is like a character: it has skills, sometimes does damage, and can fulfill its purpose quickly or over time. To build a trap, keep in mind the rules for designing monsters (in the Bestiary chapter). Choose a level for the trap, the skills it will use, and the perks needed to help it fulfill its purpose. Common trap skills are Sneak, Fight-Melee, Fight-Missile, Cast Spell, and Profession. Comparing the trap's level to that of the PCs will give you a quick idea of whether the trap is a reasonable threat to the PCs.[/sblock]

Non-Player Characters (NPCs)[sblock]

If player-characters are the protagonists of a story, then NPCs are every other character on the stage. A Modos NPC can have any amount of statistics (character features), from just a name to the full loadout of abilities, skills, perks, and equipment. There are two basic types of NPCs: the quick and the villain.

In most cases, the GM can create a quick NPC with only 3 stats: a name, level, and one good skill. Like a teacher, miner, or sprinter, a quick NPC probably does only one thing well. The rest the GM can make up on the fly, using the NPC's level for guidance. The NPC will have one good ability score, equal to ten plus his level. He'll have one good skill, with total modifier (skill plus ability modifier) equal to his level. He'll have equipment appropriate for his level and occupation, but you can consider default weapon damage and armor protection to be d8 (see the Equipment chapter). Bluff the rest, and the quick NPC is ready to play.

One type of NPC you'll want to write up in advance is the villain. Creating villains is covered in the Bestiary chapter. However, before using a villain, you should decide how significant he is to the game. If the story can survive without him, consider him a mid-boss, place his level at least two higher than the average PC level, and give him a villain point for every two levels he has. If the story hinges on his existence, consider him an end-boss, make sure he has minions, place his level at least four higher than the average PC level, and give him a villain point for each of his levels. Villain points are the same as hero points (covered in the Characters chapter), except that villains get their points replenished every act (or encounter), instead of every day.[/sblock]

Pre-Game[sblock]

Before you can have a wild and crazy casino adventure, or brooding dungeon delve, the GM must set up the game. The first step is usually deciding on campaign theme. Then the GM should consult with the players on what elements or modules they would like to see in the game. The GM takes the player input, adds a few surprises of his own, and when everyone's ready, character creation can begin.

To have a campaign, a series of adventures, the GM must first establish a campaign theme. A campaign theme in Modos should be a pretty wide-ranging idea. It will address story elements like when the campaign takes place, and in what world. It should also address how the players will play the game: is it a dramatic game in which characters can do whatever the players describe, or is it a detail-oriented, tactical rules-crawl? Importantly, the campaign theme establishes what sort of protagonists, or main characters, will be leading the story.

A sample campaign theme looks like this: in 1,000,000 B.C., the creatures of Earth are still evolving into the species that will eventually come to dominate the world. Countless creatures, unknown to modern humans, vie for control over the assets of the day: turf and breeding rights. This campaign will focus on individual cat-, dog-, and rodent-people. Rules will be loosely observed to allow cartoon-like outbursts and stunts to be performed by the characters, and the Cartoonz for Modos rules module will be used.

Since it takes two to tango, the GM should ask the players what they would like to see in the game next. Their input might lead the GM to decide on a different, or additional module to include in the game, or it could just lead to ideas on what house rules to include.

House rules are rules about anything relating to the game that a game group agrees to use. Being rules-light, Modos is very welcoming to house rules, but GMs should refer to the Modules chapter just to be on the safe side.

Once the theme, modules, and house rules are decided, the game group can start making characters. The GM's first character creation goal is to guide players toward making characters that fit into the theme of the campaign. The resulting character concepts are discussed in the Characters chapter. Let the players know at what level their characters begin, and note that Modos characters should start at level 2 (professional) by default. The characters will need abilities, and regardless of what method the GM chooses to use to assign ability scores, recommended starting ability scores should range from 6 to 15.
Once characters are drawn up, you're ready to play! [/sblock]

In-Game[sblock]

Running a Modos game session is very similar to running any other RPG. While the standard GM toolbox applies, you'll want to pay special attention to a few things which matter most in conflict: where characters are, how many actions they have, how much damage they've taken, and how long they've had that damage. Also, it's good to know when a roll is necessary, and who should make that roll.

In Modos, you'll track where characters are and how much they do during conflict. A very easy way to do this is to set up counters on the game table. Once you've established the initiative order, you can place counters in a row from left to right. The left-most counter represents the character with highest initiative, and initiative descends to the right. To establish position, simply move a counter to a lower row when it takes defensive posture, but maintain its left-to-right position. To keep track of its actions, turn each counter to the number of actions available to its corresponding character at the beginning of the conflict round. Each time that character uses an action, reduce the counter by one point. If your counter does not have a zero (for when the character has used all its actions for the round), turn the counter to its maximum count instead. Another shortcut to use: if all your NPCs have the same number of actions available, make them use the same number during their turn, and reserve the rest for defense only. It will be easier to count one or two defenses per NPC than a varying number of reserve actions, some of which might number three or more.

Modos can be an unforgiving game, especially when a character runs out of actions and must simply take whatever damage gets dealt to him. With nothing but death (even a dramatic, narrative death) waiting at max physical damage, most NPCs are very likely to notice when they've reached half damage. When an NPC reaches half physical damage, quickly ask yourself if the NPC is achieving his goals by staying in the fight longer. If he's not, it's time for him to flee (or surrender)!

If a character successfully avoids max damage, he has time to heal that damage. Mental and metaphysical damage heal hourly in Modos. If the players ask how many hours have elapsed in-game, feel free to tell them. Otherwise, let them know before their characters get into a conflict, or when they awaken for the day, how many hours of healing they've enjoyed. Lastly, it's important to note that in Modos a GM can end up making many of the rolls that would normally fall to the player. This is especially frequent due to the take half rule; when a player decides to take half on a contest, the GM should decide if failure is likely. If it is not, let the character succeed. If it is, roll the NPC's (or situation's) contest. If you take half when the player takes half, all chance has been removed from the contest.

Remember, rolling slows down play. As you'll see from the Difficulty chart (Conflict chapter), easy contests should automatically succeed. Any contest that seems obvious shouldn't require a roll. The next way to speed up play is to take half whenever possible. This applies to all rolls: contests, damage, protection, and hero points. While playing, keep the game fast and fun.[/sblock]

Post-Game[sblock]

After a game session of Modos RPG, some important things need the group's attention. Specifically, you should discuss any in-game issues you had, and then reward everyone for their hard work with level-ups.
The after-session review is a helpful discussion to have after each game. With the flexibility of Modos rules, and the chaos introduced through house rules and modules, the after-session review helps to rein things in. After a session, the GM should ask the players what went right and what could be done better. Did all of the rules feel balanced and fair? Were any rules missing that might lead to a smoother game for next session? This is especially important for any elements that required segmenting by the GM.

Another aspect to look at is the adjudication done by the GM (Rule Zero, see Roleplaying chapter). The players have accepted the GM's ruling and waited all session to discuss how they would have handled it. The after-session review is when that happens.

Finally, when all loose ends are (hopefully) tied up, the GM can reward players with character progress. The amount of progress is up to the GM, but to allow players to focus on roleplaying during the game, it's usually best to award skill points, perks, or levels after the game session.[/sblock]

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Chapter 3: Characters

Players reach into the world of Modos through their characters, hence the term player-character. Characters in Modos are simpler than in most other RPGs, because they have fewer stats to record, but that simplicity frees up the players' imaginations to make their characters more complex through roleplaying and rules interpretation. This chapter will discuss how to run your character and how to build it.

Character Creation[sblock]
Making a Modos character is a fairly simple process. To do so, you'll follow these steps:
1) Design character concept.
2) Roll ability scores.
3) Identify starting level.
4) Assign skill points (see Skills chapter).
5) Select perks (see Perks chapter).
6) Identify character health.
7) Assign equipment (see Equipment chapter).
8) Notate hero points.
9) Roleplay.
Discussion of these steps and the topics behind these steps follow.[/sblock]
Character Concept[sblock]
The player has met the other players and GM, been fascinated by the campaign theme, added his ideas to what the game should be, and is eager to play. If he doesn't have one already, he'll need a character concept to play Modos.
The character concept is the constitution, source-code, or the soul of your character. It's a description of what the character is, where he comes from, how he behaves, and what he'll be doing in the future. It includes the character's profession or class. The character concept doesn't need to be long, but it should have enough details to help you roleplay your character.
When writing up your character concept, keep the campaign theme in mind. Your character is yours to create, but following the campaign theme will help everyone in the game to feel more immersed in the game world.[/sblock]

Abilities[sblock]
Ability is the general term for what a character can do. A Modos character measures what he can do in three different ways: physical, mental, and metaphysical.
Physical (abbreviated P) is a measurement of a character's body. It covers health, strength, stamina, speed, and any other bodily abilities.
Mental (abbreviated M) is a measurement of a character's mind. This relates to anything like reasoning, sensing, memory, and focus.
Metaphysical (abbreviated MP) is a measurement of a character's spirit. This covers a character's charisma, soul, aura, supernatural sensitivity, and fate.
As you can see, the abilities are very broad areas. Sharpening the focus of your character's abilities, as guided by your character concept, will give your character more depth and more opportunities to earn hero points (discussed later).
So how do you know what your character's ability scores (the actual measurement of an ability) are? To find an ability score, just roll 3d6. Repeat for the remaining two ability scores. If you'd like more flexibility, buy your ability scores from a pool of 32 points, and check with the GM to make sure they aren't too high or low. Don't worry too much about ability scores now, because you can improve them later.
Now that you have your ability scores, you can start using them. While ability scores can be used to make contests (see Conflict chapter), they have two more common usages: acting as a foundation for skills and representing health.
Abilities improve skill usage with modifiers. A modifier is a bonus or penalty that applies to a roll, which for abilities is usually a skill contest. To find an ability modifier, take your ability score, subtract 10.5, divide that result by 2, and round the final result. The following table summarizes these results, with the top row representing ability scores, and the bottom row represents corresponding modifiers.
-3-2-2-1-1
Table 3-1: Ability modifiers [/sblock]
Character Levels[sblock]
Overall character improvement is measured in levels. A level is simply a set of features granted to a character (discussed later). Because levels measure improvement, you can refer to specific levels with common terms for power, experience, or achievement:
LevelTitle
1Amateur
2Professional
3Expert
4Paragon
5Master
6-9Legend
10+Epic
Table 3-2: Level titles
Before character creation, the GM will tell you what level your character is. Starting at professional level is recommended because amateur-level adventuring is somewhat risky to character health.
If your character stays alive long enough to improve himself, he'll level-up. This is the term for gaining a level. The GM decides when your character gains a level, but some example achievements sufficient for gaining a level are:
- Surviving 15 encounters after which the PCs needed healing.
- Completing 5 quests.
- Gaining good (or evil) reputation in 5 settlements.
- Earning an ability increase, skill increase, and perk. After the third element, the GM can award a hero point to complete the level.
This last achievement is like building your own level, because it contains each of the awards of a character level. Specifically, these are awarded with each level:
- Ability point. Increase an ability score by 1.
- Skill point. Increase a skill by 1. A skill is something your character does really well. Skill progress is measured in points, and discussed in the Skills chapter.
- Perk. Gain another perk. Perks are significant features that make your character unique. See the Perks chapter.
- Hero point. Increase hero points by 1. A hero point discussion follows.
Note that character progress becomes evident as abilities, skills, and perks increase, not levels. Levels are actually a means of counting progress. If the GM rewards progress with ability points, skill points, perks, and hero points (not levels), you can instead determine your effective level by dividing these features into quasi-levels.[/sblock]
Character Health[sblock]
Abilities are also aspects of a character's health. The higher the ability score, the stronger that character is with respect to that ability. Whenever something diminishes the health of the character, it's called taking damage to that ability (see Conflict chapter). The ability score does not decrease, but damage accumulates in a damage pool, and when the damage in the pool equals the ability score, the character has taken max (maximum) damage. Thus, the difference between max damage and damage pool can be called health.
Max physical damage or having a physical score of 0 (zero) puts a character in a state called mostly dead. Mostly dead characters cannot use their bodies and can perform no physical actions. While mostly dead, the character is helpless, has limited mental and metaphysical ability (rule zero) and often appears dead.
Max mental damage or having a mental score of 0 (zero) puts a character in a state called unconscious. An unconscious character cannot think, sense, or take any mental actions. While unconscious, a character has limited physical and metaphysical ability (rule zero), and often appears dead.
Max metaphysical damage or having a metaphysical score of 0 (zero) puts a character in a state called catatonic. A catatonic character has no will or personality and cannot take metaphysical actions. While catatonic, a character usually has limited physical and mental ability (rule zero), and often appears dead.
Healing damage is covered in the Conflict chapter.[/sblock]
Hero Points[sblock]
A very important, and very ambiguous, part of being a Modos hero is using hero points. Simply put, a hero point is a chance to roll a d6 and add the result to the contest you're about to roll. If you do this wherever or whenever, then hero points can be considered luck, fortune, or fate. But hero points can be so much more than this!
Hero points are what make characters special. Since a hero point can be added to any contest, you have the power to turn them into almost whatever you want. For example, your character concept says that your character is a dark assassin. You would use your hero points on sneak contests or fight contests whenever you're using your signature stiletto. Or maybe your character is a crusader; he would use his hero points on attacks against infidels or on Cast Spell contests used to heal the faithful.
Regardless of what superpower you turn your hero points into, your character can only store a certain amount of them. Each day, your character gets one hero point for each level he has. This happens at midnight unless your GM says otherwise. If you have not used all your hero points by the end of the day, you still start the next day off with one per character level.
Bear in mind that whenever roleplaying your character puts you at odds with your character's goals, the GM is allowed to award you a hero point - not to exceed your character level in hero points. So if you've spent the early part of the day being extra-heroic, you can get some heroism back by roleplaying your character extra-well. For example, C4PO (the explosives droid) is a 4th level character. His movements are a bit on the stiff side, even though he has decent robo-strength, and he has used two hero points earlier today on Knowledge-Scholar, to represent his extensive knowledge base on bombs. Now C4PO is carefully wobbling up to the hover-tracks of an imperial shock-tank to place a bomb, when the engine starts and the turret spins, knocking into him. The GM calls for a movement contest to avoid falling and potentially dropping the bomb. C4PO has a decent physical score (13) but his player decides that C4PO falls over anyway, since he's not very agile. The GM awards him a hero point, and C4PO now has three hero points to use before the end of the day.[/sblock]
Roleplaying[sblock]
The short answer is this: roleplaying always comes first. Otherwise you'd be playing a board game. A player should look to his character concept for guidance, and enjoy the game by describing what his character would do. This is easy for performing swirling spear dances or choosing bravery in the face of certain death, but sometimes the character can do some things that the player can't, and this is where rolling dice can enhance roleplaying. This occurs with many social and mental tasks, since players are expected to do their own talking and thinking, but not their own fighting or spellcasting.[/sblock]
Roll Playing[sblock]
When the player wants his character to do something that might not be successful, it's time to roll a contest. Contests are covered in the Conflict chapter, but it's important to know that a character's skills are both what he does best, and what he prefers to do. But sometimes a character's limits exceed the player's limits, so consider the Modos rules on rolls (see the Conflict chapter): if the task is most likely easy for an average person, he'll automatically succeed. If you're not sure, take half, and compare that contest to the difficulty of the task. If the outcome is important and the task is strenuous, roll the contest and see what happens. If the player made a good-faith effort to roleplay through it, the GM should award at least a +2 bonus to the contest.
For example, a burly orc walks up to a midge sitting on his pipe-smoking rocker. The orc demands a gold piece for the favor of not smashing the midge to bits, and the midge's player has to make a choice - what to do? Well, the character's concept draws a general picture of the character, so that's one place to look. More specific though is his list of skills: the midge has skill points in fight-unarmed, and none in persuade. Odds are, the midge would choose to punch, kick, or bite his way out of the situation, unless fleeing would let him live to smoke another day. [/sblock]
Rule Zero[sblock]
This rule is usually spoken with a bit of snark: the GM is always right. It is, however, important to remember because after a player has roleplayed and roll played, the GM has the final say on what happens. This rule is not intended to make the GM all-powerful; it's intended to keep the game moving so everyone can have fun and not argue about rules. Modos has a lot of gray area, so rule zero can be the only thing standing between a good game and drowsy players.[/sblock]
Roleplaying Rewards[sblock]
Some RPGs are loaded with rewards for characters and killing: experience points, treasure, and loads of gear. Modos has room for those too, but seeks to reward the player for roleplaying as well. Here's a list of Modos rewards and how to earn them:
Contest bonus: as mentioned earlier, roleplaying a situation well should earn the player a +2 bonus on the related contest.
Hero points: characters earn a hero point whenever roleplaying that character properly means subverting that character's personal goals.
Skill points: when a character accomplishes a significant goal or benchmark related to a skill, he might earn another skill point in that skill (not to exceed character level).
Perks: if a player consistently roleplays a certain feature of his character, or pursuing the character's goals leads that character to improve in a non-skill-related way, the character can earn a perk.
Levels: the holy grail of rewards,these are awarded on a basis decided by the GM, but their achievement should be tied to roleplaying.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Meatboy

First Post
wow that's quite a bit of text. It'll take some time to go through it. If you are having issues with word to internet might I suggest uploading your work onto google drive you may then export it as a PDF file and then host it on mediafire so we can all view a nice pdf.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Chapter 4: Skills

Abilities enable a character to do anything imaginable. Skills just allow him to do those things better. A skill is something that a character does well, which improves with training or experience, and relates to an ability. The amount of training or experience is measured in skill points, but when a player or GM refers to a character's "skill," he's referring to the total bonus involved with that skill. In general, the total bonus is skill points plus the relevant ability modifier plus specialization (see Perks chapter), which is applied to a d20 roll when making contests (see Conflict chapter).

As mentioned above, a character is free to do anything imaginable, even if he doesn't have a skill for the specific activity. If there is a skill that is related to the activity, the GM will ask you to use that skill. If multiple skills relate to the activity, use the skill with the highest bonus. If no skills relate to the activity, then you'll make your contest without a skill bonus, and have only the modifier of the most relevant ability.

Specific Knowledge
[sblock]
In some cases, there is a skill related to what you want to do, but you're not allowed to use that skill. This is because the activity is so specialized that your character has no hope of succeeding without having at least one skill point in that skill. For example, Uugrek's companion Fezbi has been thoroughly bitten by a plague rat. Fezbi is bleeding profusely, and probably infected with a disgusting elf disease. Uugrek wants to use the profession-healer skill to help Fezbi, but he doesn't have any training, so no matter how hard he tries, he can't remove Fezbi's physical damage. Note that applying the specialize perk to a skill counts as having specific knowledge.
[/sblock]
Skill Points[sblock]
Skill points are permanent bonuses that a character acquires as he becomes better at a skill. A character can have no more skill points in a skill than he has levels. If a character has zero skill points in a skill, he can still use that skill unless it requires specific knowledge.

Characters gain a skill point when they level-up, and they can gain a second skill point by exchanging the level-up perk for one. The GM has the option of awarding a skill point if the character does something in-game to earn one.
[/sblock]
Learning Skills
[sblock]
A character is welcome to put skill points in any skill he wants, provided it meets the following conditions:
1) It meets the definition of a skill.
2) The skill is not broader in scope than any of the common skills. If it is, it should be segmented down and presented as multiple skills.
3) The GM approves the selection.
[/sblock]
Common Skills
[sblock]
The following is a list of the most common skills in Modos. Each skill has a name, relevant ability, and description, which includes the actions required to use the skill when in conflict, and common opposing skills. Skills requiring specific knowledge are followed by - SK. Note that there are three primary defensive skills: parry, concentration, and willpower.

Cast Spell - SK - MP
Most special abilities (magic, hi-tech, psionics, superpowers, etc.) use this skill. A different cast spell skill must be learned for each spell that a character wants to know. Using this skill while wearing no armor and no shield grants a +2 bonus to the contest. Using the cast spell skill causes 1d8 + (spell level) metaphysical damage, and can require combined actions, discussed further in the Magic chapter. Opposing cast spell depends on the effect of the spell.

Concentration - M
Allows a character to focus his mind, whether on performing a task, thinking, or ignoring the outside world. Concentration has three special uses:
- Defense against mental attacks. An incoming mental attack must exceed a defender's concentration contest to damage him. This requires one action.
- Defense against ongoing mental effects. A successful concentration contest diminishes a spell's casting actions by one. This is important in overcoming enemy spells, and takes one action.
- Healing metaphysical damage. A successful concentration contest, normally against easy difficulty, allows a character to heal 2 MP points per hour instead of the normal 1 point. If conditions become more strenuous, another contest should be rolled. Concentrating this way requires all of a character's attention, or three actions per round.

Deceive - MP
This skill allows you to seem like you’re doing something you’re not. Telling a lie, feinting in combat, creating a disguise, and creating forgeries are examples of using this skill. Feinting in combat takes one action, and provides a +4 bonus to your next single fight-melee or fight-unarmed contest against one opponent. Opposed by detect or deceive.

Detect - M
Characters use this skill to gain information with their senses. Spotting a hidden enemy, hearing a conversation through orchestra music, uncovering secret glyphs, and tasting a hint of poison in a goblet are uses of this skill. Detect requires an action when trying to find something that isn't obvious. Opposed by sneak or deceive.

Fight-Melee - P
Relates specifically to using direct-contact weapons in battle to attack a foe. Knives, clubs, longspears, and spiked chains are examples. Requires one action, and is opposed by parry or fight-melee.

Fight-Missile - P
To damage foes at range in combat. Using missiles in combat gives the attacker the advantage of distance from his enemy, and being able to use gravity (or splashes or explosions) to attack indirectly. However, a missile fighter is limited in attacks to the number of missiles he carries. This skill includes usage of darts, bows, slings, thrown spears, and even holy hand grenades. Attacking with a missile weapon uses one action, but reloading costs more (see Conflict chapter). Opposed by parry.

Fight-Unarmed - P
Using only what the gods gave you to damage your foe. Unarmed fighters cannot be disarmed and must be able to touch their foes to cause damage. Wrestling, boxing, kung-fu, and the dim-mak are included in fight-unarmed. Requires one action, and is opposed by parry or fight-unarmed.

Handle Animal - MP
Animal handling is getting an unintelligent creature to do what the character wants. This includes using a tiger as a mount, teaching a giant spider tricks, and preparing a show horse for performance. Whenever you direct an animal to do something in conflict, it costs you one action.

Knowledge-Nature - M
You are learned in the ways, creatures, and geography of the wild. Hunting, foraging, camping, and land navigation are likely uses of this skill. Recalling nature knowledge in conflict requires one action. Other uses of this skill generally require two or more actions.

Knowledge-Scholarship - M
You have spent time studying books. This includes most academic pursuits, from theories on war, to royal lineage, to the paths of stars. Use this skill to produce information that is most likely found in an old book, or to write a book. Recalling information in conflict costs at least one action (rule zero).

Larceny - P
The business of thievery. If it is designed for safety or protection, larceny is how a character overcomes it. Use this skill to pick locks (using lockpicks), rig a trap door, lift an item from an unwary owner, or fence a stolen item. Stealing an item requires an action, the victim must be in offensive posture (if in conflict), and your contest must exceed your opponent's counter-contest, if any. The GM is free to reduce the actions required for larceny as the character's contest gets higher. Opposed by detect, larceny or movement.

Movement - P
Use this skill to get around. When things get difficult, characters test their success in jumping, swimming, flying, climbing, tumbling, and balancing with this. This skill can be used to compare the speed of two characters. In conflict, this skill has two important uses:
- Change posture. One action is required to move from offensive to defensive posture, and vice versa.
- Fleeing conflict. A character in defensive posture can leave the battle with one action. A contest is required if an opponent has a means of preventing flight, like a spell, net, tractor-beam, or when the fleeing character is cornered. See the Conflict chapter for more information.
Opposed by movement, fight-unarmed, or if wielding appropriate gear, fight-melee or fight-missile.

Parry - P
Used to avoid taking damage from any physical attack, whether by dodging, deflecting, or using endurance. Failure to parry an attack results in a minimum of 1 physical damage. Parrying uses one action.

Persuade - MP
Alters NPC attitudes. Persuade covers both using soothing words or swear words. See the Conflict chapter for more details. This skill requires at least one action, and is opposed by willpower or persuade.

Profession-Scientist - SK - M
Grants a character the ability to make things requiring special alchemy, chemistry, or electronics knowledge, like love potions, nitro-glycerine, or counter-decker programs. In general, scientist products are smaller and more complex than craftsman products. General scientist rule: scientist products require a laboratory, cost one quarter of their market price in raw materials, and take one hour per unit of market price to make. The difficulty to make an item is twice the level (see Characters chapter) of the character that would typically make the item. For example, a standard receiver-transmitter would typically be made by a professional (level 2) electrician, so the difficulty is 4.

Profession-Healer - SK - M
Allows a character to provide hospital/pyschiatric care, cure diseases, treat wounds, and make healing substances. Using this skill without difficulty requires shelter, warmth, and healing supplies. The following table gives the difficulty modifier of a given healer task:
Easy 0Challenge 4Difficult 8Unlikely 12Impossible 16Divine 20
MonthWeekDayHourMinuteAction
1d8 DmgDiseaseSubsMost
Dead
CurseX
Table 4-1: Healing Difficulty
The table entries are:
-1d8 Dmg: roll 1d8 to heal your choice of physical or mental damage.
-Disease: some diseases can't be cured by normal healing.
-Subs: prepare a healing substance. These heal 1d8 physical or mental damage in one action, without requiring the healer to be present.
-Most Dead: mostly dead characters can be brought back to life with this skill.
-Curse: curses have a magical or metaphysical nature, but healers can remove them with exceptional effort.
To determine the difficulty of a healing task, add the difficulty of the task to the difficulty of the time period. For example, to heal a disease (challenging 4) in one hour (unlikely 12), the difficulty is +16. To heal 1d8 physical damage in one minute, the difficulty is also +16. When making a healing contest, the GM should roll for the player, and reveal the success of the contest after the attempted time period.

Profession-Artist - SK - M
Artists are musicians, painters, sculptors, actors, or dancers. Besides creating inspirational artwork, an artist can use this skill to cast spells using the perk spell implement. Instead of making a metaphysical contest for the spell, artists can make a profession-artist contest.

Profession-Craftsman - SK - M
Craftsmen repair things and create tools, machines, weapons, armor, and other goods. In general, craftsman products are larger and simpler than scientist products (but the two can work together). General crafting rule: crafting a product requires a workshop, costs one half of the market price in raw materials, and takes one hour per unit of market price to make. The difficulty to make an item is twice the level (see Characters chapter) of the character that would typically make the item. For example, a masterpiece waraxe would typically be made by a master (level 5) weaponsmith, so the difficulty is 10.

Sneak - P
Allows a character to find a good hiding spot, tread silently, or conceal his scent from dogs. Use it to avoid opponent awareness (see Conflict chatper). This skill does not create sneaky conditions: standing in the middle of a ballroom provides almost no chance to hide. But the skill reflects the character’s ability to use what conditions he has. Sneaking requires at least two actions: the cost of the activity/skill, and one sneak action to determine how sneaky the activity is. This skill should be rolled by the GM, because the only indicator of how well the character sneaks is whether or not someone notices him. Opposed by detect.

Willpower - MP
Used to defend against metaphysical attacks and damage. A successful contest means that the character takes no damage. Failure means that he takes at least one metaphysical damage. Using willpower in this way requires one action. Willpower cannot be used to prevent spellcasting damage. It can also be used to resist intimidation or fear, or to test one’s spirit in supernatural realms.[/sblock]

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Chapter 5: Perks

Until this point, Modos characters have been growing into heroes (and villains) who exhibit their powers with easily measured rules. They're impressive, but a little predictable. Perks allow you to bend the rules, and create some of the more unusual character features.
A perk is any character feature that cannot be classified as an ability (inherent character trait that allows him to interact with the world), skill (talent that improves with experience or training), or equipment (feature that can be purchased, traded, or destroyed - see Equipment chapter). There is one more very important aspect of perks: only one perk can grant a bonus to skills, called Specialize.

Choosing Perks
[sblock]
For convenience, a list of common perks is provided at the end of this chapter. However, a character can take anything as a perk, provided:
- it meets the definition of a perk,
- it is no more useful than any common perks, or
- it is part of a properly segmented perk tree, and
- the GM approves the perk.
When choosing perks, consider your character theme. If you are a member of a special race, you'll want to take a racial perk at starting level. Or if your profession is similar to a particular archetype, you'll want to select perks mostly from that archetype.
[/sblock]
Gaining Perks
[sblock]
Characters gain a perk at every level. When gaining a perk, a player can choose a new perk, the next perk on a perk tree, or to substitute the perk.

A new perk can be taken when the character gains a level. This can be any perk without pre-requisites, a stackable perk that the character already has, or a perk that has new uses when the character takes it again.

A perk tree is a series of perks that get more powerful as you take perks higher in the tree. Each higher perk has a lower perk as a pre-requisite. A stackable perk is similar, because the perk gains more power as you take it multiple times.

If the player wants to improve something else, he can substitute a new perk. These can be substituted for an ability point or skill point. If the player chooses another skill point, his total points in that skill may not exceed his level.
[/sblock]
Common Perks
[sblock]
The following perks are available to all characters. For your convenience, they've been sorted into racial and archetypal lists. Perk descriptions follow these lists. Stackable or tree perks are noted with a - T.

Racial perks: cat's eye, diehard, large size, longstrider, observant, owl's eye, sleepless, small size.

Priest perks: armor training, divine intervention, enlightened, grudge, ki strike, stubborn.

Thief perks: backstab, dual wielder, informed, lucky day, nick of time, off the mark, rage.

Warrior perks: armor training, defender, dodge, dual wielder, fearless, special move, toughness, weapon focus.

Wizard perks: casting endurance, familiar, grudge, heroic companion, spell implement, spell maintenance, spell upgrade.

Armor training (armor type) - T
Choose a type of armor (e.g. chainmail). When wearing this armor, the protection die increases by one (e.g. d6 becomes d8). Taking this perk again increases the protection die again, or improves the protection of another armor type.

Backstab - T
You gain +2 damage when your opponent does not use a parry action against your attack. Can only be applied to light weapons. Stacking this perk raises the bonus to +4, then +6, and so on.

Casting endurance - T
When using any cast spell skill, the casting damage is reduced by 1 point, but cannot be reduced below 1 point. Stacking this perk reduces the damage by 2, then by 3, and so on.

Cat's eye
You can see twice as far as a normal person in daylight, dim light, or shadowy light.

Diehard
You can use hero points when rolling protection. You must announce this intent before making the protection roll.

Divine intervention
You can pray for holy power. Make a willpower contest as a metaphysical action. If you win a challenging (+4) contest, you can cast any spell of which your god approves (see rule zero) without having specific knowledge of the spell.

Dodge - T
Each round, you gain one extra parry action. Taking this perk again grants another parry action.

Dual wielder - T
When attacking with two one-handed weapons or a double weapon, you gain one fight action each round to be used with the secondary weapon.

Enlightened - T
You gain 1d4 protection against mental attacks. Each time you take this perk, the protection increases by one die type, e.g. 1d4 to 1d6.

Familiar - T
Your pet gains +4 to its mental ability score. This does not alter its physiology, for example, giving it the ability to speak. Stacking this perk grants another +4 to the pet's score, or allows you to grant the bonus to a second pet.

Fearless
You are immune to fear effects and conditions.

Grudge - T
Each round, you gain one additional concentration action.

Heroic companion - T
Your pet gains a level. Pets cannot earn or use hero points.

Informed
You can use a hero point to simulate specific knowledge in a knowledge skill. Roll the hero point, and use the result as your skill points in the selected knowledge skill.

Ki strike
When you succeed on a fight-melee or fight-unarmed attack, you also deal one point of metaphysical damage.

Large size
You are much bigger than the average person. When you are in conflict, your enemies must use two movement actions to take, and return from, defensive posture instead of one. This benefits your allies as well. Furthermore, you must use two movement actions to take defensive posture, but taking offensive posture requires only one action. This perk does not affect fleeing.

Longstrider - T
Each round, you gain one additional movement action. Taking this perk again provides an additional movement action.

Lucky day
If a physical attack causes you to reach max physical damage, you can use a free action to spend a hero point to reduce the damage by 1d6 points. This perk can reduce damage dealt to zero, which is less than minimum damage.

Nick of time
If you fail a parry contest against a trap, you may spend a hero point to reroll the contest.

Observant
You have a 1 in 6 chance to notice anything hidden from view. The GM should roll this for your character.

Off the mark
You gain +4 to all initiative rolls.

Owl's eye - T
You can see 30 feet in darkness. Taking this perk again extends your view another 30 feet.

Rage
You can spend hero points on damage rolls. You must announce your intent before rolling damage.

Sleepless
You are immune to sleep spells and effects. You only need 4 hours for a good night's rest.

Small size
You are much smaller than the average person. You are always considered to be in defensive posture, and you treat your enemies as if they are always in defensive posture. This does not apply to your allies.

Specialize (skill)
You have extra ability in a particular skill. Choose a skill. Anytime you use this skill, you gain +3 to your contest.

Special move (fight skill) - T
Choose a fight skill (melee, missile, or unarmed). You may reduce any of these fight contests by one to add one point to your damage if that contest succeeds. You must announce your intent before rolling the fight contest. Taking this perk again gives you the option to reduce your contests by 2, and add 2 damage, and so on. Also, you may choose to use a new perk on a different fight skill.

Spell implement (object) - T
Choose a unique object. When you use a physical action with that object, you can use the cast spell skill for a spell in which you have no specific knowledge. Your spell selection is limited based on the object. For example, if your implement is a spellbook, you can cast only spells that you've entered into the spellbook. If your implement is a musical instrument, you can cast only spells that you've learned as performances. The GM decides which spells you've acquired.

Spell maintenance - T
Each round, you gain an additional mental action for maintaining spells. Taking this perk again provides an additional spell maintenance action.

Spell upgrade - T
Choose a Cast Spell skill in which you have skill points. You may forget this spell and transfer the skill points to a similar spell of higher level. For example, if you have 3 points in cast spell (sleep), when you take spell upgrade you can remove the 3 sleep points and take 3 skill points in cast spell (coma). Or you could lose 5 skill points in cast spell (fire) and put 5 points in cast spell (inferno) instead.

Stubborn - T
Your max mental damage increases by 3 points. Each time you take this perk it grants another 3 points to your max mental damage.

Toughness - T
Your max physical damage increases by 3 points. Each time you take this perk it grants another 3 points to your max physical damage.

Weapon focus (weapon type) - T
Choose a type of weapon (e.g. blaster rifle). When wielding this weapon, your damage improves by one die type, like d10 to d12. Taking this perk again increases the damage by another die type, or increases the damage die of another weapon.[/sblock]

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Chapter 6: Equipment

When equipping a Modos character, you need to consider more than just your budget. It's not like your Last fantasy game, in which you could carry everything that you could pick up. However, you will find equally epic gear in this game, quite possibly in this chapter!

Ownership Limits[sblock]
In Modos, characters can own anything and everything to which their character concepts entitle them. This is because most property doesn't affect the game; characters don't sit in plush sky-condos, watching virt-Vs and sipping martinis from their personal wet-bars when they're not at their exciting desk jobs. Modos characters go out and solve problems.
The GM has the responsibility of giving your character everything he deserves, while maintaining a reasonable balance between what game-relevant equipment each PC owns. This is done by measuring what characters can do. At character creation, each character should have the ability to do these things to comparable degree:
- cause physical or mental damage,
- protect himself from physical damage (protection),
- transport himself,
- acquire new equipment,
- acquire food and shelter.
These things balance themselves out in indirect ways. For example, a warrior can protect himself from damage with a suit of armor, while a mage could do the same thing with a spell, and a scoundrel might not want armor (too cumbersome), but be happy to use a power shield. Or the scoundrel doesn't need cash for new equipment because he's well equipped to steal everything he needs, while a knight owns much from being nobility, but a wizard might need lots of extra starting gold because magic is forbidden (along with his earning power), and one doesn't acquire assets while studying magic.

As characters gain levels, their useful adventuring property should follow a set of two rules:
- the equipment that a character regularly uses should make that PC feel like an equal contributor toward the party's goals,
- a PC's gear should be an augmentation, and not a replacement, for that PC's personal contributions toward party goals.

An example of the former: two sky captains fly a "skaravel" from place to place, pursuing different misadventures. One sky captain owns the skaravel, and serves as captain of the ship. The other sky captain, who is equal character level to the first, has a toy ship in his quarters. These characters' property has the potential to make them feel like unequal contributors to the game's outcome.

An example of the latter: a professional level barbarian finds a family treasure, an amulet, that turns him into a raging wood demon. He cannot be defeated while in wood demon aspect, so he uses the amulet all the time. This character's equipment is unbalanced, because the character itself doesn't matter; only the amulet matters.
Of course, the simple system to balancing PC gear is to give each character a starting budget, and let them buy whatever they can afford, and try to earn or find anything beyond that.
[/sblock]
Carrying Limits
[sblock]
Sometimes what a character can afford exceeds what he can carry. Characters are welcome to store excess property elsewhere, like in a family crypt or P.O. box. However, what a character carries should generally be limited to the following for the purpose of adventuring: a primary weapon, a secondary weapon, a suit of armor, shield, and enough other gear to fill a large backpack. This serves two purposes: making personal gear comparable between PCs, and allowing the GM to challenge players, since he knows they can't carry a solution to everything. If a PC wants to carry more gear, let him spend his assets on a car, hover-tote, or slave. That will give other PCs, who don't need the kitchen sink with them, the chance to spend assets elsewhere.
[/sblock]
Armor
[sblock]
Since PCs get into fights more often than not, armor is a very popular equipment type. The Modos core rules provide several selections of low-tech armor, but that is by no means the limit of what can be used in the game. The details of using armor in conflict are provided in the Conflict chapter.
Each armor entry has the following information:
- Price. The cost in gold pieces. Adjust for inflation as needed.
- Size. This is a temporary adjustment to your physical ability score, only while wearing the armor. Tiny armor has no penalty. Light armor gives -1 P. Medium armor give -2 P. Heavy armor gives -3 P. Most shields do not allow you to carry anything in your shield hand.
- Prot. Protection for each failed (or missed) parry contest.
- Special. Exceptions and notes.

Name
PriceSizeProtSpecial
Buckler
6Tiny
Parry +1, can hold tiny weapon
Shield, small
6Tiny
Parry +2
Shield, large13Tiny
Parry +3
Shield, tower30Light
Parry +4
Padded armor5Lightd4
Leather armor10Lightd4
Studded leather25Lightd4+1
Spiked leather35Lightd4+1+1 damage to fight-unarmed
Ring mail50Mediumd6
Chain shirt100Lightd6Includes leather armor
Hide armor15Mediumd6High upkeep, or it has stench and bugs
Scale mail75Mediumd6+1
Chain mail150Mediumd8
Elven mail300Lightd8Limited availability
Banded mail200Heavyd8
Field plate mail600Heavyd10
Full plate mail1500Heavyd10+1
Dwarven plate mail2000Heavyd12Limited availability
Table 6-1: Armor

[/sblock]
Weapons[sblock]
The following is a selection of low-tech weaponry for use in Modos. The details of using weapons in conflict are covered in the Conflict chapter. The table has the following entries for each weapon:
- Price. Stated in gold pieces.
- Size. Generally refers to a weapon's weight. Tiny weapons are easily concealed. Light weapons are easily carried at the ready. Medium weapons are usually one-handed, but bulky. Heavy weapons are two-handed, and too cumbersome to use while mounted.
- Damage. How much the weapon deals on a successful fight contest.
- Special. Notes about the weapon. Double means that a weapon requires two hands, but counts as using two weapons. If an ammunition type is listed, it is followed by the price for 20 shots, and the number of actions required to reload.
- Range. Weapons can attack anything at the stated range or closer. See the Conflict chapter for more on range.

Weapon
PriceSizeDamageSpecialRange
Unarmed
FreeTinyd4
Close
Sling
FreeTinyd4Bullet 1 / 1Short
Sap
1Tinyd4Mental damage, parries auto-succeedClose
Bola
1Tiny0Lose one move actionMedium
Gauntlet
ArmorTinyd4+1
Close
Dagger
2Tinyd4+1
Short
Blowgun
5Tinyd4+1Requires poison, dart 2 / 1Short
Pick/Club3Lightd6
Close
Staff1Lightd6DoubleClose
Chain, spiked25Lightd6DoubleClose
Javelin1Lightd6Missile onlyMedium
Axe, hand5Lightd6+1
Short
Sword, short/rapier15Lightd6+1
Close
Net5Light0Movement -4. Higher contest to escapeShort
Flail15Mediumd8Bonus to trip/disarmClose
Mace/morningstar10Mediumd8
Close
Bow, short30Mediumd8Sheaf arrow 1 / 1Long
Axe, battle5Mediumd8+1
Close
Sword, long15Mediumd8+1
Close
Lance15Mediumd10Requires mountShort
Crossbow, light35Mediumd8+1Light bolt 2 / 2Long
Warhammer2Heavyd10
Close
Spear/Polearm7Heavyd8
Short
Bow, long75Heavyd10Flight arrow 1 / 1Long
Axe, war10Heavyd10+1DoubleClose
Sword, great50Heavyd10+1
Close
Flail, great30Heavyd10+1DoubleClose
Crossbow, heavy50Heavyd10+1Heavy bolt 4 / 2Long
Table 6-2: Weapons

[/sblock]
Gear[sblock]
Although the GM decides, through establishing the campaign theme, what gear is available in the game, anything is possible. Toothbrushes, wineskins, and auto-apply-compacts can all be found in a game of Modos. Gear is the support material, objects, and tools that don't cost a lot, yet facilitate adventures. Ownership of gear should not be too restrictive (carrying gear should be more restrictive), because it is the oil that makes adventures run.
[/sblock]
Special Equipment
[sblock]
Some gear can significantly improve a character's impact in the game. This gear is the special equipment, magic items, hi-tech gadgets, or alien relics that characters use to further their goals. Special equipment improves the stats of a character: his abilities, skills, and perks. In so doing, special equipment actually makes a character more powerful, effectively raising his character level. The following chart includes gear benefits and the level of character progress to which they correspond.

Level
1-3
Level
4-6
Level
7-9
Level
10-12
Level
13-15
Damage died6d8
d10d12d20
Protect died6d8
d10d12d20
Ability bonus+2+4
+6+8+10
Skill bonus+4+8
+12+16+20
Spell level3rd4th
5th6th7th
Table 6-3: Level-appropriate special equipment.[/sblock]

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Intermission

If, at this point, you're still asking yourself, "what the heck is Modos RPG? Why do I care?" Here's a quick rundown.

Modos is streamlined roleplaying rules, for any setting, with an emphasis on adding your own rules or adopting others. There's no table for how many years of youth and special abilities your vampire gets when you drain a victim - you just add your own.

The Modos rules focus on doing things fast, and offering lots of creativity. For example, when you want your character to do something - anything - you pick the most relevant ability score (physical, mental, or metaphysical) and roll d20. Add your ability modifier, and your skill points if you're really good at it, and you succeed if you beat your opponent's similar roll. If you don't have an opponent, you're just rolling against the difficulty of the task, which is in a simple table that the GM applies to most situations.

There's no size modifier, class modifier, racial modifier, bonus stacking rules, difficulty class, or modifier tables (besides the difficulty table). It's easy - if you roll higher, you win.

You can choose to roll for damage, protection, initiative, or heroism (the bonus die). Or, you can use the Take Half rule, get half the highest result on the die, and never have to roll a single die.

An admittedly cool mechanic - the Escalation Die - is not in the Modos rules. But you can easily add it. Modos doesn't really need it, however, because Modos uses a Final Fantasy-like combat system in which you're usually either exposed to full damage or half damage. This incorporates the highly popular (controversial) concept from D&D Next - damage on a miss (more accurately, hit points represent stamina as well as injury). Don't worry, you can always flee combat. Almost always.

Finally, Modos eliminates all the confusion of action types, opportunity attacks, readied actions, and multiple attacks with a simple action system. Your character has three abilities, so you get three actions. Each action must be performed with a skill (or ability score if you don't have the right skill). Use all your actions on your turn, or save them to be used on other characters' turns, but either way, when you use them all, you have to wait until the next round to do anything more.

The rulebook is at 21 pages as of now, and I'm posting it for two reasons:
1) So you can help me polish it up and make it as good as possible, and
2) So you can get started creating your own modules for the game!

Remove ads