• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modrons!

Scribble

First Post
Not really- it's a new feature that seems to take advantage of the 4e mechanics, in a way that feels (to me at least, and I guess the majority at the Gencon seminar) very in tune with the Modron flavor.

Obergnom

First Post
I really like the idea of modrons trying to collapse portals. Thats just a fun way to bring them into the game. They allways seemed more like "random encounter" material to me.

The players running for their live to get to the portal out of the Elemental Chaos and into the Prime will be rather confused seeing the modrons standing there, asking them to back of, they are closing the portal.

I think their spliting powers is also very cool, creating a unique encounter.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I approve. :)

The new "from one come many" feature is new, but it fits with the Modrons' themes of being a collective, non-autonomous unit. Plus, the literal idea of Primus as a distributed individual fits well with previous editions' figurative suggestion, and gives combat a little variety.

I also think it's hilarious that quadrones basically chuck minions at people. :lol:

I'm also kind of fond of all the "force" damage and movement abilities getting tossed around. It's an evocative power type for them, and makes the "march" seem very...resolute.

The bit about them closing portals isn't something I remember, but, again, I think it fits with the themes. If portals are causing chaos and unpredictability, the Modrons are going to want to close it! It's a good way to introduce modrons to any world, but enough of a throwaway to ignore if that's not your style.

I am OK with the modrons being separated into basically 4 different monster types. I would've liked some more variety, but I grok that Dungeon articles need to be short, and the way they made the distinction has value (into monodrone minions, duodrone and quadrone regulars, and heirarch elites) and leaves plenty of room to add more.

Only thing I need now is a modron outcaste's racial rules...:) (I also prefer "modron outcaste" to "rogue modron," since 3e and 4e have rogue as a class, but that's a nitpick, and the former name is something I invented, so I couldn't expect them to use it)

I like it, it is good, and I am *absolutely* using these creatures. :)

PS: A Little Bit Of Context For The Article

Last edited:

Obergnom

First Post
Magic! ;-)

I imagine them to be rebuild from the parts...

I thought it is rather odd that both duodrons and quadrons consist of four monodrons...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
So good I wanted more. More fluff, more modrons, higher level ones.

Maybe they will do a sequel.

A rare case where I immeadiatly thought "aha, I will use these guys like this!"

hexgrid

Explorer
I liked what was there, but it seemed kind of incomplete. At the very least, some artwork of the additional types modrons would have been nice. Also, some detail about Mechanus and how it fits into the 4e cosmology.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads